[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Top drawer, it is already bloody fantastic, always was in rF

For mine it is the most realistic looking track without peer.

VLM and tracks like those are nice and all, but for mine they look like they are in a cocoon.

Some of the quality rF2 tracks look " too neat"

As for yellow trees, they are natural, scroll through here you will find them
    Longford Trees > http://www.tasphotoalbum.com/VerylargeFotos/LongfordLarge.html

Personally I think Longford in Autumn would look nicer anyways ?

Longford Park > http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7788312024_5236dae8b8_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

tj, here is some video show you how dry ( yellow ) it could be.

Longford was usually held around New Year which is summer here, winter grain is harvested around the same time so the paddocks are a mixture of yellow, gold and dry grass hues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSh93WSY_Tc

I would like to see some sheep a few collies woo. :)

Also a police car in the pub carpark. :p

Would the main straights out of town have had reflectors on the posts, they were pretty widely used by the mid 60's on most aussie roads. They would make good immersion for nights.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  3. tjc

tjc Registered

D... yeh I know the natural colours can/will be yellow (dry) at somewhere like Longford, especially in summer time... it is Oz after all.

I`ve no problem with the colours mate but, imo, as far as my taste is concerned, I think the tress in the section of track after the bridge and some other parts could be of better quality and if they were that yellow/dry colour would look a lot better (imo)

woochoo has said he`s going to update things and do 3d trees etc so I`m sure all will be well.

I really like the look of the track/buildings etc and I wasn`t complaining, just stating what my preference would be. :)

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Comparing rF1 vers. to rF2, rF1 has lack of sun effects, the rF2 version looks right to me for a 10 or 11 AM time slot.

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Don´t you think this happen because this video was shot with a calculator?
    New footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVtCTj536Vs

Or should i assume some specific time of the year longford can get this colors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcjhfZqGgw

6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

2nd video has been recolored, poster even says it is Sepia version.

1st video, unless I'm too old and blind show same faded out trees along with the green. Maybe I don't understand your point?

7. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I must to thank you because this track is awesome. I really don´t care much about the sky when i´m concentrated in driving.
    This only matter watching replays.

8. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

doh! no **** sherlock...

I´m talking about colors

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Then all those trees in the background should be yellow too ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSh93WSY_Tc

Ektachrome was good film.

Yes I agree there is slight over exposure due to all the yellow grass giving erratic light meter readings, so it accentuates it a little.

But what you see is how it was in a hot summer.

New footage, they are 50 years apart ? :)
    Back then it was a much bigger grain and sheep area.

Yes Jim you can see yellowing trees even in that video.

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Hi Durge, just to dig back a few posts here, Longford was on the long weekend of the Eight Hours Day, so that's late feb/early march. So it was at the back end of summer, so yeah, the grass is about as dry as it gets.
    I've met the owner of this video. Nice guy. Has been very helpful. The gold FX #40 in the vid was raced by his mate. They both race FXs down here still :) fwiw, 0:00-2:40 is 1967, 2:40-end is '68, starting with the Ferrari P4! You also might spot a few familiar liveries in the '67 touring car grid, compared with my rendition of the paddock in rF (minis, cortinas).
    Once I get a whole bunch of other stuff up to scratch I'll probably make some sheep (but that will be ages away I reckon). Same with police car. It's not that I don't want to do them. Just that there is are a number of things already in there that are looking fairly dated. They need to go first.
    From all the photos and vids I've seen, not a one of them has shown any hint of reflectors, red or white. And trust me, I've looked :p If you happen to spot any contrary evidence anywhere I'm certainly open to adding it.

Also, fwiw, I've never been happy with the colour tone of the willows. A bit of back-story: The photos I've used for the textures are of genuine Longford South Esk River willows. They're barely more than a couple of hundred meters from the Viaduct. But, I shot them towards mid-late afternoon, so the daylight was shifting towards golden, so right from the start it wasn't 100% ideal. I've spent plenty of time fussing the tone in Ps over a few versions of Longford releases. I might well make a quick adjustment before the fix/update, but I won't spend too much time on it since they're hopefully going to be obsolete assets by the next proper update =D

Great to see some discussion about the track. Back to the comparison video: from my (unmeasurably biased) perspective, I think rF2 makes the rF1 version look too bland and pale; and the rF1 version makes the rF2 one look crazy yellow/orange. So I guess my ideal is somewhere in the middle, with the punch of rF2 HDR, and more blue-sky influence to balance/in combo with the rF2 sunlight (perhaps a bit less yellow during mid-day hours). Also, as pointed out by others here on the forum, (and noted by myself earlier in this thread i think), warm sunlight tone was baked into textures to get a good balance in rF1. Now that effect comes from the lighting system (rightly so), so any direct conversion rF1 textures with baked sun tones come out as doubly yellow. I mentioned I've done some preliminary work to take out the baked sun tones. I will do more. Hopefully after that there will be a better yellow/blue balance, but the sky still comes out to yellow/dark if you ask me. It would be nice if the sky was more unhooked from the terrain illumination, rather than balanced by the auto-exposure. K Szczech writes well on this topic, and I agree entirely that the auto-exposure should track brightness, rather than darkness (as the eye does, more or less). Maybe a camera setting (as they have now) and an eye setting :) btw, there are better threads to talk about hdr than this one. See K's post for a quick rundown:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14305-Cockpit-HDR-light-compensation-OFF-switch

Anyway, I've typed a lot here, and not done much work on the track, so that's what I'll do now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

12. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It wasn't my intention to give it an "old look". I don't meant to give it any sepia, or washed out film effects at all. My aim is to have it as the eye sees it. From my perspective, any aged or vintage effects should be done in post.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah true woo I can't find pics before '68 of reflectors.
    Just for a night race would add some great effect. :)

Few paddocks with sheep in distance would look cool, ( you can see some in background of main straight in video @ 1:49)

Guess you seen that one.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382868&page=2

The hills look so right ie: cleared with strands for shade.
    I been up every hill inside and outside lopl

1964 was a "green year" , shows up the bridge growth well. ( rail bridges for the most part look " messy" )

If you put the grass you see on side of road you see there people would complain off road was too rough, but look, it comes right to the edge of the tar @0:58 I think you been very generous with them. :p

I think ISI have been far more unrealistically generous, Spa and Monza look manicured compared to what they were in the '60s. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  14. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, I did try to capture the "grass on the road" thing. I know I didn't really get that close to how you can see it in the vids. That's the sort of thing that might get worked up in a v1.0 release at some stage.
    Yeah, '64 was uncharacteristically green for Longford (... and the year Tim Mayer was killed)
    For reference (and I'm not affiliated with any parties involved), that clip is from this DVD:
    http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/products/page/query/plu/17668/ (Tim Mayer isn't mentioned in the DVD)

Briefly also on the topic of fatalities, for reference, in '65 two [edit: apparently only one] motorcyclist were [was] killed, and on the same weekend a driver and photographer were killed in the same incident in the AGP. A total of five fatalities on what was clearly a fairly dangerous circuit. I've made a model of the Tim Mayer monument which was positioned near his crash site (on the left, approaching the Pub). The monument is now in the pub.

edit: re the marker posts and night racing. Are people finding that the movable objects (marker posts, some of the haybales aren't receiving headlights? I'd consider reflectors for night racing, since in the sim-world night racing is possible (that's why I added the fluro tubes hanging off the front of the pit building).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the grip and steering resistance on the grass and gravel is a bit too low/light. Too much of a transition when you hit the pavement to feel natural. Since the pavement grip level is good, the grass and gravel is where the adjustment should occur.

Overall this is a phenomenal effort and a fantastic track. Can't wait for 1.0!

16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

yep, couldn't find a solution to that. checket controller and tdf files. I think it might be a game engine thing. I remember the same on isi tracks at low speed. how do they work for you?

v0.91in the next 7 days is the plan. some fixes and updates.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am ignorant of how the process actually works. I guess the non-pavement surfaces don't have a grip adjustment? I recall some tracks in the old rF1 days where modders would adjust the gravel traps to feel like deep mud...and if you went in there you would not come out. A penalty system so to speak. Yet other gravel feels like a barely disguised pavement.

On some tracks the grass feels almost soft--as it should. Others it feels hard and extremely slippery--more like pavement with a layer of oil or frost on it.

If ISI has not allowed for the modification of grip and surface "depth" (that a car weight will sink down into), then I sure hope they add it soon. It will be needed for rally and gravel tracks and will make tracks like yours so much nicer. In the meantime, consider starting from the pit box instead of the "back 40" and then we'll only notice it when we fly through the fence opening after missing the end of that long straight ;)

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Did the 3D trees make into the updates woochoo?

Just curious...

19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

:( nope. I'm expecting that to take a while, so I have no idea when that will come around. I have done some small adjustments to a few of the current trees though.
    I've settled the mip bias on the vegetation too, so hopefully they will look nice and steady. Or much better than they were.

Honestly, the "updates" are more like "an update plus a few quite small updates". I wouldn't get too excited for it.

@Marc, I'll have a bit more of an explore for the grass bumps. There are sink settings, and resistance and all that. They still work. I think the current grass ffb at high speed is about as much as I'm prepared to tolerate on my g25. I assume that if I increase it for slow speeds then the high speed will just break the wheel or something. But it's an assumption. I'll have to find out for sure... :cool:

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh well, if the trees are something that`s going to be quite a big job and take a lot of time I`m sure you`ll get to them when you can.

:)