[REL] LeMans (S397) Mod without Chicanes

Discussion in 'Locations' started by redapg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Coming from THIS Thread, i thought that maybe also Others would like to race on the S397 LeMans Track, without the 2 Chicanes on the Hunaudières Straight.
    So i did upload my private Version, that can be downloaded here:
    LeMans_2018_noChicaneChris_v253noCh.rfcmp

I have to say that the AIW is not perfectly optimized, because i lack a little bit of free Time currently, but it should be OK.
    If Problems appear, please report here.

BTW The Street, where normally the Chicanes are, has a few "heavy" Bumps there.
    So hold the Steering Wheel on Course there. :)

Hint: If you want to uninstall that Modification, don't do it through the UI.
    Navigate to the Folder of the Track "..\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\LeMans_2018" and delete the Subfolder "2.53noCh" by Hand please.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Nice one mate! I'll be giving this a run

redapg likes this.
  3. atomed

atomed Registered

Thanks a lot.

redapg likes this.
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

Thank you, i hope you like it. :)

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks for making this very interesting, I am not the fan of those two particular chicanes, especially the first one.

I am definitely going to drive no chicane version, especially with classics. I think bumps are not that bad there, but surely noticeable. Holding wheel is necessary, but with my T300 just barely holding was enough :D The track flows so much better with straight opened up.

I was surprised how much more safe straight feels comparing to Le Grand Circuit. In LGC there is very narrow path to make the kink in straight, and then the hump right before braking is higher, and as for braking I think the modern is more difficult as there is a turn in braking zone now.

I have a little bit of rant about those chicanes. IMO they are unneeded at all and I would question if they does make the track any safer, or just creates different threats instead of just reducing speed which is dangerous... IMO those chicanes ruined one of the most important features of LeMans, which is low aerodinamic drag of cars. Of course there is still plenty of driving in straights, but with main straight it is so much less important. Without these chicanes Le mans cars must have to use much less downforce to have less drag. They would burn less fuel, and efficiency used to be important in Lemans. Cars would probably have to be less powerful to not achieve 400+ km/h, but that would add up to efficiency, and induced drag is not efficient. With less downforce, cars that are less powerful would feel just as alive. Drivers could rest a bit more while going through long straight. And cars would be slower at turns, which would also cause less fatigue for drivers. Overall the race would be less of a sprint, and more of an endurance.

Overall IMO motorsport took wrong turn in late 90s. Focusing more on higher downforce and faster laptimes. Instead of true efficiency - tires that last a long time, low drag = lower fuel efficiency and higher speeds with less power. And in past years they started making less powerful engines to be more efficient, but they keeps on making cars with lots of wings induced drag, and driving tires that are unpractical and designed for a pit stops show. At least active aero would be allowed to use properly and not restricted by the rules.

I think chicanes in Hunaudières Straight are best monuments of wrong turn in motorports.

redapg, maximus1971, Raintyre and 2 others like this.
  6. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Thanks, I like driving this specification!

redapg likes this.
  7. philrob

philrob Registered

Thank you Redapg, looks and drives great.

redapg and pkelly like this.
  8. atomed

atomed Registered

I know it´s nothing but a huge straight but man I love it :cool:

redapg likes this.