Released January RC Update #2 Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 3, 2023.

1. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

You can see the wheel is countersteering without touching the pad. That looks and feels like a wet cheater dream.

fenderjaguar likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

PART of that is the tire itself. It naturally tries to center. Make sure all your steering & stability helps are off, F1 I think is the default for the steering key.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No.

@davehenrie sorry to be rude, but I guess it got your attention. Devin explained already how this works, and why this self-correction happens. There's no need to theorize, and it's definitely not an aid or anything to do with the tyres (not even PARTLY).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    davehenrie likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

5. 312t5

312t5 Registered

MOMOmorning all,

1st post after 2y9mnth of trying to understand rF2 and see it developing into a nice competition and racing platform, keeping all things like tyre model, real feel and circuit sensation in development as well as possible. seeing it grow makes me a very keen player of this sim, that has proven to be leading edge.

Competion!
    1 minor detail for dev/ops person doing standings info etc.
    In my opignon it would be quite handy to have the start/end date of series above standings / info when joined. Interval is on entry page, as is other info etc.

2nd minor is a more luxury one:
    a clock when in pits with local&actual time. Sometimes one needs catching busses, jumping on the odd bicycle, or fedex or webex something.
    One could allways have it sponsored... And we all know there is Longines and Omega, not to mention Rolex, or Heuer.

This all 4 now, tykfya (thank you kindly for your attention)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    haunetal1990 and Hazi like this.
  6. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

this new gamepad steering is really bad

you can't even turn some corners, like 1966 monte carlo

why can't they just bring back the steering rate slider? can we edit this manually? this is unplayable. it's like some forced autopilot. I'd rather have it 100% raw like GTR2 than this, it was tricky with oversteer correction, but at least you could get round the track as long as you were careful.

we need the ability to turn this horrible filter off

ling, turtleCZ and micro-impact like this.
  7. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

another example of well implemented gamepad in a sim is Race07 by simbin. I don't know if you ever played it, but it has completely raw control on centering of wheel, when you release the stick. but it's has a fixed rate control whenever you move the stick.

it's actually a little too laggy for me, but I would imagine most people would love it

8. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

Race 07 is still great with controller. The only better controller game was RF2 (before RC), because of newer and more detailed physics.

fenderjaguar, ling and turtleCZ like this.
  9. NIsmo97_

NIsmo97_ Registered

I don't understand why so many people seem to believe the counter-steering is bad, for me it's what makes the new assist have potential.
    GRANTED, it is far too aggressive right now and you need to fight it quite a bit, but if we get a way to adjust how strong it is, among other things, this filter is going to work just like Gran Turismo's counter-steer assist.
    Just a helping hand to keep the car in check when you don't have FFB feeding you information.

This automatic counter-steer is basically FFB on a wheel, just applied directly to your input.
    Will this make it easier to go faster? Yes. Will it make controller better than wheel? No, but it will flatten the learning curve and provide a better experience for gamepad players who just want to have a bit of fun.

Needless to say, no one plays the same way and a way to disable the feature, or ways to tune it so it works closer to what we had before, would be nice.
    PCARS 3, IMO, is a great case study on how a one-size-fits-all approach is never the way to go.

10. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

ling likes this.
  11. ling

ling Registered

thanks i'm not really bothered about the lack of vibration support but it was the only fault i could think of with the rf2 controller support before this update, with this update the game is unplayable for me.
    will have to go back to rf1.
    just my opinion.

fenderjaguar and turtleCZ like this.
  12. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

The issue with controllers doesn't affect me because I'm a wheel user, but its a bit concerning that we see this in an RC2 when RC1 didn't have it, which means RC1 wasn't "feature complete" as you'd expect an RC to be. This sort of code change needs more than the 2 weeks we've got to test it before promotion.

I do have a hypothesis here, though I may be completely off base. We do know that the MSGS gaming engine is a combination of physics "derived from gMotor" and UE4 graphics. Because this is mainly aimed at consoles, and hence controller users, I'll bet they have added code into that engine to cover this. In fact, if I remember correctly, there were major complaints about the NASCAR Ignition game, in that it had even added similar filters for wheel users. So my hypothesis is, this filer logic has been "back ported" from the MSGS physics and FFB code into rF2, and furthermore I postulate it has been done to make the two codebases and hence development of content much more similar. We know MSGS have to produce console games for BTCC (mainly), IndyCar and WEC, and hence all will need good controller support. That would then leave the biggest difference in the content creation as the graphics engine.

Havner, fenderjaguar and ling like this.
  13. ling

ling Registered

never had a problem playing rf2 using xbox 360 controller till now.
    just my opinion.

14. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I having troubles whit my G27,everytime i ALT+TAB i lost the brake and throttle maping,and then to reasign the throttle i have to restart rFactor 2.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You are not alone. Another user supposed this is the groundwork for console versions of the Indy/BTCC/WEC licenses for MSG. If so, there is work to be done.

16. ling

ling Registered

just glad i have not brought a load of dlc because for me the game is now unplayable with this update.
    shame rf2 was the best for that feel of driving
    just my opinion.

17. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Instead of using alt-Tab try using left Windows key and D, it takes you to the desktop. I find it more reliable.

Alnorate and Rastas like this.
  18. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Thank you sir,always learning :)

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Rastas @Highlandwalker I highly recommend using windows multiple desktop to run the game on a separate desktop. Use Ctrl + Windows + Right arrow to move to a second desktop, and run the game. Stay there while it loads up. Then you can switch back to your other desktop with Ctrl + Windows + Left arrow (and back again with Right, etc). The game runs in its own space and will have zero shutdown or switching issues. Can also run it fullscreen this way.

20. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

Glad you noticed this too. Switching to wheel without sensitivity doesn´t work well. Nowhere close to the controller experience before the new RC. Does Devin really think he can make such statements and nobody will notice that ?