Released January RC Update #2 Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 3, 2023.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

At the setup page reducing Starting fuel from 50L to less fuel clicking takes alot of time
    its sluggish and it doesnt react fast
    it happens after january update #2 @Paul Jeffrey

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I believe it was Coutie who said they would look into the issue. I think they expected this to be a good thing. May not be time to correct things this close to the release (Feb 21st). But they certainly have been made aware.

3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

4. Camav

Camav Registered

For those who use the 360/xbox one controller, the race department has an update for the controller driver, which solves the vibration.

micro-impact and ling like this.
  5. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

Camav likes this.
  6. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Thank you bro :)

7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

In car adjustable wastegate isn't working on the RC.

8. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Don't spread lies now. I did not ignore anything. Also you can stop repeating yourself with quadruple posts now as it makes it impossible to actually get real feedback from other users. Consider this your one and only warning if you want your feedback to be read again.

It was presented as "the steering rate limits are still in place even with the device set to wheel" which I said that description would be a bug. I asked you to post videos and controller files that show issues and things being wrong. This was requested in order to understand what is wrong. So far this post is, sadly, pretty much one of the very very few that provided even remotely useful information anyway, about the steering rate slider.
    We are currently testing a new version of this slider that does not rely on the other controller file settings (such as hurry rate etc) so that it is in fact fully controlled by a single ingame slider. When this system is out, actual feedback other than ItS bAd PlEaSe DeLeTe!!!! is appreciated, as needless to say, that helps no one.
    The steering rate should work somewhat like the old one, except the values used for the slider are obviously very different for reasons explained. An issue was fixed however, where steering rate was applied incorrectly when sensitivity was not at 100% resulting in somewhat snappy steering, all while it was made a little less floaty especially at low values.

The old speed sensitivity might find its way back as an optional setting in one way or another, but the new system is certainly not going to be turned into something that can be forced off by the server (I know, incoming "but then controller players are faster than wheel players, it's unfair, it's cheating, etc etc", we've had that conversation on discord, it's factually incorrect).

That said, the new system remains the only way we found new and inexperienced players to be able to drive most cars at all so it is here to stay, but with the option to reduce its effect on steering, allowing you to steer into forces more easily.

Just once again a disclaimer: The system does not actively try to counter-steer automatically for you. All it does is apply what is effectively FFB as a steering effect which happens to pull your car straight and effectively allows you to keep the front wheels close to their ideal slip angles more easily, which just happens to pull it out of a slide like an actual steering wheel does. This part can still be completely turned off by setting the type to wheel. It is not cheating as wheel users get exactly the same information although in a different way, and I assure you, a good player can go quite a bit faster using this system than using just the old speed sensitivity, but never as fast as a good wheel player.

And before I forget, no need for yet again more speculation. This was not backported from any other game, and the reason it's not been in the first RC was because it was not tested sufficiently by that point. By the time the first RC update came around, we had sufficient feedback from testers to be confident enough to put it out there to gather feedback. Of course the system was probably going to change based on feedback, but as with every big change, some people are going to ask for those to be undone immediately without giving it much thought, only for the next iteration to be fine and for other people to come forward to say they loved the change. So as I keep saying, please don't act like you're the only ones in the world we're making the game for. Your feedback is appreciated, obviously, which is why it was put into an RC with nearly a month to go until release. But demands that ask for "lesser players" to be locked out of playing the game for not being skilled enough (which was an actual request on the discord channel) are obviously not going to lead anywhere.

And just as a hint, more respectful feedback might actually be considered, whereas "this is shit undo it immediately!!!" is obviously going to be ignored. I don't know why everytime I visit this forum I'm confronted with this total lack of social abilities, but it's the main reason I don't care to read much here, and if you're wondering, most likely generally the reason feedback posted on the forum tends to get missed the most.

"Hell yeah I'll just piss off devs and be disrespecful, maybe that's going to get them to turn the game into exactly the thing I'm asking for!" or what's happening on here? If that reads funny to you, maybe think again about how you interact with other people about these kinds of things.

9. pkelly

pkelly Registered

@Devin - thank you for your thoughtful reply. I totally agree with the lack of respect often shown to staff on this Forum. Not the way to get things done and/or changed. This Forum seems to have become a teaching moment for the use of proper language and courtesy while still recognizing the fact all are not English speakers or are using a translator. The frustrations of your world should not be dumped on S397. Thank you for reading...

Devin and Hinyaldee like this.
  10. pkelly

pkelly Registered

That sure sounds like a veiled threat, Mangoletsi:(

11. Camav

Camav Registered

pkelly likes this.
  12. svictor

svictor Registered

Hello,

I'd like to say thanks to developer for all the efforts to making the sim better and better.

Although me and friends (and our local small but very dedicated RF2 player base) haven't expressed much of our gratitude to the work and improvements that developers have poured time & heart into the sim over the years, RF2 is always the best and number one sim for us.

There was a lot misunderstanding when the #2 RC was released. As the #2 RC release note lacks of information regarding how to completely turn off new filter, which got me and others worried at first. It was only later be found through testing that by setting FFB type to "Wheel" it would at least bring back the RAW input part(however we weren't sure of it until this was confirmed by developer as it is by design).

Now with developer's confirmation that "Wheel" type will always stay RAW input, me and friends are no longer in doubt, and appreciate the effort and help from developer.

And I can understand frustration that old players are having with the new filter. Many old players have been playing gmotor based games since the very early ISI's days, and have been practicing in sim racing with controller(any types) for many years, which eventually formed each of their own skill technique and muscle memory. When a new controller system is introduced and at the same time the old system was no longer available, those players can no longer control(drive) the car as they had practiced and perfected with skills for years. So this leaves those players no choices but to adapt new system, which could have a high learning curve, and there is no guarantee it will work out in the end, which leads to all the worries and doubts. After all, for many old players, this is one of the best sim and they care about, no one wish to see their favorite sim becoming uncontrollable.

Hope everything will work out in the end, and thanks for the hard work and help from developer.

pkelly, Corti, atomed and 3 others like this.
  13. Devin

Hey, thank you for bringing attention to the muscle memory issue as it is a pretty big one. Muscle memory should not dictate the direction a game takes, but it is still important that it is not completely eliminated obviously, so a compromise has to be found. At the end of the day we knew some muscle memory will be lost indeed, but the goal was to keep at least some of it relevant. Hopefully the next RC update can get to that point.

I believe someone on discord told me you use keyboard and mouse for driving, using vjoy, is that correct? If so, how was that set up, what does it rely on?

RaceNut and svictor like this.
  14. svictor

svictor Registered

Hi, thanks for the reply and asking.

The method for using vjoy as virtual controller for mouse+keyboard was originated from LFS forum:
    https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1862759

vjoy has full axis range accuracy similar to real wheel device, it is potentially the closest thing to real wheel in terms of steering accuracy, and RAW input (without filter) is preferred in this case, which now works perfectly by setting FFB type to "Wheel". There are also players using vjoy+custom programming APP to create controllers such as DIY real wheel device with FFB, or motion controller, etc.

Devin likes this.
  15. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

Thanks for that Camav. Do you have further suggestions for people not getting the controller vibrations ? As I said, I have always had vibration and therefore never had to dive too deep into that issue.

16. Devin

Can you confirm rumble doesn't work on release-candidate, but does work on opt-out? Or is there a reason to believe it's caused by a windows update or something?

17. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

I can´t confirm anything because as I said I have rumble. But there are people now driving for years without rumble on their gamepad.
    Win11 seems to make it worse, but it existed before. It really would be nice if you could look into that issue, because (when it works) it is best in class.

18. Devin

Thanks, that doesn't sound like a new issue then, but certainly an annoying one. If anyone here has a way to trigger it and maybe instructions how to make it work again if that's the case, we might be able to look into it

19. micro-impact

micro-impact Registered

No it´s not really related to the last RC. But when we are talking about new gamepad controls, (in my eyes) ensuring everyone has rumble is part of the cake.

Devin likes this.
  20. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Please please please fix the driver id (logs) in the next rc update. I’m still using 1131 until addressed, but very keen to go to 1132 as there are a lot of general improvements.