ISI track content discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Fast corner isn't exciting at all (for example 130R in higher downforce car). It's a combination of corners that keeps one's mind busy and entertained (Maggots-Becketts, Suzuka esses). I like it when a track has elevations, challenging corners. Doesn't have to be all fast corners. Of course good mixture makes a nice track. Phillip Island, Zolder, Zandvoort, Spa, Bathurst. Who can tell me that Bathurst is a boring track?! It maybe isn't the best track in the world but no one can deny that when going flat out, on the edge of grip, fighting for the best laptime these sort of corners keep your heart pumping just a bit faster. Doesn't matter slow car or fast car (well yeah, in faster cars it is enhanced :p).

I don't know if I'm going to be butchered for saying this but I really like Losail layout. I did a 12h race there back in... december? Anyways, Even after hours and hours of driving I didn't feel bored. Only one major flaw: it is flat as a table. However still decent track for a GT car.

I know so many great tracks that may feel great in slower as in faster cars. It is just a matter of looking for them or making them for rF2 if they're not built yet.

2. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

If I remember the track right, then it has one big advantage over many modern tracks. It has a stroke of grass directly against the track, and after the grass there is asphalt runoff, so if you make a mistake you are actually punished (by losing time), whereas on most modern tracks off course you first get a stroke of asphalt and then sometimes after that grass or asphalt, meaning that you can actually gain time by going off track.

I only played the track in one of the MotoGP games some years back though, so I don't remember the layout ;)

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

What's good for real-life racing, isn't necessarily so good for simracing (or spectating). I'm sure if I was a driver, I'd want the asphalt runoff rather than the grass--for the sake of safety and for keeping the equipment in one piece (money). However, because there's no real sense of danger or consequence, other than losing time, in a racing sim, these sorts of things (i.e. paved runoff) tend to make the tracks less interesting.

Well, this kinda brings us back full-circle now, doesn't it?

I think there is a hugely untapped opportunity in the simracing world (i.e. rF to a large extent, but especially Simbin, iRacing) to create tracks that are specifically tailored to racing on the computer. Tracks that can be unforgiving--because they can be; because they need to be--but have that sense of real space, and follow real-world restrictions (it is SIMracing after all!).

That's not to say, however, that real-world tracks don't have a place in simracing, or shouldn't be liked or whatever, because they quite obviously do and are (and I feel that they should be recreated as faithful to their real-world counterparts as is technologically possible and financially feasable). And I'm not trying to say that someone should go out and build Mario Kart or Wipeout style tracks to be raced in the sim, but I'd love to see MORE scratch-designed tracks that are actually well designed and thought-out for simracing in particular that feel like they could exist in the real world, but take advantage of the things that make simracing unique.