ISI track content discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Sep 8, 2014.

1. mastpalermo

mastpalermo Registered

What comes, take it and thank you!

2. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Well, here we all know that AC game (you call it the right name) and damage are not related.....

3. Valter Cardoso

On topic.....

Simulation is all about recreating real life situations.
    From wiki: "Simulation is the imitation of the operation of a real-world process or system over time".

Fantasy content......no thanks.

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Real cars and real tracks please. If you are racing a fantasy car on a fantasy track you simply cant relate to anything which (to me) is the entire purpose of race simulation.

5. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Yeah right, I haven't seen a single person say that. I'ld love Spa and Suzuka, and others. But because I like those track, that means I'm not allowed to enjoy other tracks, tracks that I either not know, or don't exist in real life (as long as realistic, as I stated before). Well, sorry, but that's not going to happen (for me at least). I'm going to like what is there, even though there might be tracks I'ld like more ;)

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

I think people are confusing 'fantasy' and 'unlicensed'. Just because a track doesnt have a real name doesnt mean its fantasy.

Also, what about tracks like Mills or Loch Drummond? Great tracks, pure fantasy.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

This is an extreme example of someone just messing around. If you're comparing this track to Mills, LD or the upcoming oval which is a hybrid, you're crazy.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Even on a fictional track, isn't that exactly what's going on..?
    The "car" in contact with the "road" is the real-world process that the sim allows us to experience.
    Does it matter if the "asphalt" belongs to Mills or Silverstone? If it's only the process itself we're looking at, then no.

Those really are awesome tracks! Some of the sim tracks I've ever driven.
    I enjoy those fictional ISI tracks way more than say most of AC's laser scanned tracks.

I don't like all that "YUK fantasy tracks" snobbery...

As Tim (was it Tim?) already pointed out, when all is said and done, everything in sim racing is just pure fantasy no matter how you look at it.
    When I'm racing at Mills it's just as "real" as when I'm racing at Silverstone.
    That's to say, not real at all, it's programming and code, little pixels moving around etc.
    So the discussion is a little absurd in my view.

But again, most people are drawn to what they know and know well. Unable to step outside their comfort zones.
    They then put up a front and start going all elitist, moaning about "fantasy versus real life" failing to realize that all sim racing is just make believe.
    Silly stuff. ;)

That's why I welcome any and all tracks ISI care to gift us with.
    Life's too short to be an elitist or a snob when it comes to content. :cool:

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Wiki, LOL.

Hate to break it to you, but simulation is about answering the question "what if?" and nothing less.

Why would you want to limit it's application?

I could not care less whether a vehicle or track is real-life. The only thing that needs to be real life is the laws of physics.

There's nothing wrong with the fact that you prefer IRL but that doesn't mean that fictional content is any less valid.

Nice try, though :)

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Beautifully put. :)

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

All tracks were someones fantasy once....until they were built. If they released a sim version of COTA before it was built I bet you'd all have been driving it.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yep and I can't remember the track but I can look it up where simulation was used to determine the design of its extension.

Edit - above is in response to kaptain krammen above (Adrian snuck in there :p)

14. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Kk -- That's exactly what I've worked on in the past: a track project built to the architect's plans before the first trees were chopped. We didn't have any photo reference, never saw the real thing but it felt like a real place when I drove it in the sim ... and then they built the thing. Awesome experience. A lot of track architects rely on sims these days. It's not uncommon to get the track evaluated before it's too late.

Someone should definitely build LochD ... which, if you think about it, is a fresh representation of a virtual place that already existed in rF1. LochD, Mills, ... they were built using rF1 as the reference material, just like we'd survey a real place. So they're technically no longer fantasy. They were conceived in the past and, in the case of Mills, built by a totally unrelated 'architect'. Fiction, but definitely not fantasy anymore.

15. Valter Cardoso

Maybe you like mushrooms, i dont.
    Just expressed my opinion in an open thread about a subject and not 1000 words from you will change the way i see, like, use, things.

Going fictional is a step back in every aspect. But good luck racing in Lake Rose or Heaven city in a formula plikbritonik or a V8 thunderstruck......maybe someday we could have a 5 wheel mod. Tokyo route rulez !!!!

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I remembered track. It's Botniaring where extension was designed using simulation before being built.

17. Justy

Justy Registered

No problems with fantasy cars or tracks for me really. Admittedly I wouldn't want to see another LFS, but rF2 already has plenty of licensed stuff, with more on the way.

I'm sure at some point, every sim-racer has raced on a real world track, they've never seen, or heard of before and if it weren't for that virtual representation of the track, would probably never know it existed in the first place (Mores for example). I would imagine any rally/hillclimb/point to point tracks, that ISI may, or may not release in the future, would be fantasy. Does that mean those people who are dead against having made up tracks, will turn their noses up at these offerings as well?

For sure, it is nice to have perfectly recreated versions of our favourite tracks and car, but I don't see it as a game breaker if they aren't all the real thing.

EDIT: Little after thought, but many of the really famous track which people always cry out for, have already been done many many times in other sims. I find on occasion that these tracks lose that initial "shine" quite quickly after a release in yet another sim, when compared to a completely new track I've not seen before. For example AC has Spa coming soon, but honestly... I'm not overly excited about it.. already been there and done that in iRacing, GTR, rF1... etc etc.

Just my opinion anyway, I hope ISI will keep on going as they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

An interesting philosophical concept: a replica in our current sim of a fantasy track from a previous sim is no longer a fantasy track. I am sure many of the die-hards who have commented above will disagree, but I like the idea that a digital creation that has gained notoriety becomes a "place." I can't wait to see the new Toban (hint, hint, please) because it will seem real and recognizable to me in the same emotional manner that other tracks do, except I have seen them on TV or in old film footage or perhaps been to them in real life. It all blurs together, though, if you let it. As Luc suggests, simulating a track before it's built and then eventually going there and seeing the real thing as-built would be the ultimately mind trip in the other direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What Luc mentioned happens with cars, too. We have a license for a car that didn't exist when I signed it. Another example (no license, no) is the DeltaWing. Where did you see it first? rFactor!

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Please be this, please be this... :p
    [​IMG]

Lol, that has to be the post of the day.... ;)
    "Good luck" missing out on a ton of cool future fictional/fantasy/whatever content.

But seriously, how is "going fictional" a step back in every direction.
    A pretty radical statement, don't you think? Care to elaborate a bit, because I really don't get it?