Is Project CARS worth trying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 19, 2015.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

In response to OP it entirely depends on what you are after. My interest is in the driving experience and am unable to drive anything else for long at all without becoming bored or feeling like it is meaningless. If your primary interest is race craft more than driving and you want online (not sure how others' AI have progressed in recent months), then other options may suit.

2. David Wright

David Wright Registered

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just like many threads there and in AC, noone asks questions, noone is skeptical, noone asks for details, etc. Everyone just pretty-much shuts-up and accepts what they're told, then usually proceeds to give worship and praise. It reminds me of how the North American and Western European masses just accept the mainstream media / propaganda they're spoonfed all day but that's another story.

All I got from the entirety of those two threads is that there's some sort of track rubbering going on which isn't saying much; even GTR 1 (12 or 13 years ago) had a form of it in place.

The only details posted were that it's based on a line which gains grip, and that there's an algorithm in place making parts offline loose grip (replicating tyre marbles effect). Again, that can be achieved in may different ways from gimmickey partly baked, "cheap" ways to highly complex, dynamic, and "real" ways.

4. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Thats a few "noones" in one sentence. A bit exaggerating I would say. In fact I constantly see more criticism/questioning in AC forums than in rFactor (most likely because of overall higher activity in the forums and more open development). btw not all are into technical side of things hence they are happy with the features, but aren't interested in the underlying algorithms (which can be noticed in the pCars forums as they have much broader community).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
  5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

imo safe to say its much more AC like than rf2-like. i think ian may have specified that in another thread but it was a long time ago & im not sure. but otherwise i take the fact that he doesnt specifically mention it to mean its a predefined racing line.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I feel people look at sims from 2 perspectives.

The very first generalization out peoples lips 4 years ago about RF2 was " cartoony "

First perspective is like you are in the race crowd, good colorful crowd, , cars look nice and shiny, all the signage and flags fluttering, the shadows moving across the landscape , the sunlight creeping through clouds ........that lovely sunset lovely, etc etc

Second perspective is from a race drivers point of view.....................none of that bloody matters :)

lool ;)

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

2 years for some people to notice it does not instill confidence :)

Comparing what SMS does to ISI for track conditions is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Spin we need to chain David up and drag him away to a Historic room for a few days..........

I am being part serious, David is no ones fool and Historic gmotor people listen to what he has to say.

He gives rF2 a big thumbs up we could have a flood of historic modders lol

I have never read anything he said about rF2 would make me go out and buy it.......... we need to change that. hehehe

8. unknwn

unknwn Registered

rF2 will go steam so it matters for the success of ISI. Elitists who don't care of the rFactor2 issues bought the sim long time ago.

BTW graphics is not the only issue that is considered a reason why some sim racers do no play rFactor2. Although I do find inconsistent graphics performance off-putting in cases where people have older rigs. You literally need GTX 9xx with pci-e 3.0 to play at high settings with some official car/track combinations to have more than 60fps.

9. David Wright

David Wright Registered

The OPs were not WMD members so I presume they've only had pCARs for a few weeks when asking the question. Lets be honest, track rubbering is a subtle thing. The average racer probably runs 30 minute races so its not surprising they haven't noticed. When I first experienced LiveTrack in GT Legends I didn't immediately realize that was the reason I was struggling to stop when braking off-line or why grip seemed to go away if I ran wide on a corner.

Perhaps they should have adopted the rF2 ploy of starting with an unrealistically green track and accelerating track rubbering by a factor of 5 ;)

I do keep trying the demo from time to time. Increasing the FFB strength has helped this area. The Civic feels perfectly competent physics wise except for an unfortunate tendency to roll over which Tim has acknowledged as a potential issue, but I haven't fallen in love with it. As I only get 3 fps at the back of a grid of 10 cars I haven't had chance to experience the AI. I will be buying a new PC in the next month or so with nVidia graphics and it should run rF2 far better than my current PC. One of the first things I'll do is try the new demo with the Cobra - I'm very much looking forward to it.

Please don't get your hopes up on the modding front. Any cars for rF2 will have to be scratch made. We would not want to use the GTL cars in any non Simbin title, Simbin/S3S wouldn't be happy either and they are 10 years old now. We have a couple of scratch made cars in WIP but our only remaining 3D modeller is now employed full time making DLC for AC. And while I'm just about up to speed on ISImotor2 physics I wouldn't know where to start with rF2s tyre physics. So while I am looking forward to trying rF2, AC, pCARs and R3E on my new PC, my modding will probably be restricted to GTR2/GTL for some time to come.

10. David Wright

David Wright Registered

I wasn't aware AC had dynamic track rubbering - I thought it just had different levels you could choose. Could you give me a link to a description of ACs dynamic track rubbering?

There are too many assumptions being made here and always on the negative side concerning other sims.

I doubt many on here are really interested in what pCARs does or doesn't have or how it does it - , but just on the off-chance, some more details on how it works.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-is-Project-Cars/page27&p=1025169#post1025169

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...ike-Driving-on-Ice/page10&p=997977#post997977

I am not trying to sell pCARs to anyone - I am not a WMD member - I have never even driven pCARs. I am not trying to start a discussion on which dynamic track is the best but feel when you are discussing other sims you should be factually accurate.

11. unknwn

unknwn Registered

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Wow! Really learned something new! Thanks David!
    So pcars rubber is indeed dynamic and is similar to rF2!
    So DD, you´re guessing wrong here: it´s more like rF2 and not like AC, which line isn´t dynamic but static-scripted.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, it's cool experiencing the marbles and I like how the marbles weren't too severe in GTL (approprietely so due to the cars and tyres in GTL). I liked the marbles most in GTR 1 as driving over them in that game was shockingly close to my real-life open-wheel days. Having said that, I'm pretty sure RF2 and IR are the only sims to have "true" rubbering and/or marbles (still don't know about pCars though).

In-terms of rubbering-in in GTL, if it exists then I never noticed it and can do top 5 and top 10 world record times (well, WR according to GTLRank) usually within 3-5 laps of any random practice session.

I'd like to point-out that I'm fairly experienced with GTL. Part of my experience includes completing the entire season for two of the three series' (TC 60s and GTC 60s) while running full weekends (i.e. all sessions) for every event. I've played GTL more than any other sim.

Every game of Simbin's runs on an ISI engine including R3E (which has had quite a few core modifications but is still heavily ISI-based).

14. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Freak. Wonder when steam users arrive.
    I think i will judge users based on signature size. More than 2 lines i will not read the post.

15. yusupov

yusupov Registered

thanks for those links david, thats impressive. i do remember wondering why pCARS wasnt doing a much better job of marketing the dynamic track & theyve done such a bad job i forgot its apparently so extensive.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I dont see how me and MatF1 and others rubber the Masta Chicane gutters, if we don't drive on it it does not get rubberized
    and we can't exploit it in race. hehehe

If you telling me that is similar to pCars or AC then we have a different concept of similar, that's all . :)

17. yusupov

yusupov Registered

the technology as described by ian bell is rf2-like (truly dynamic, rubber where cars drive) & not AC-like (scripted, 1 lap = +x% grip - it may be more complex than that as to where the grip goes etc but the lines are pre-set)

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What set me against them is they removed the Historic tracks then made the promised Lotus's DLC. :(

I mean really F2 F3 field at Cadwell in the wet. I will drive that in any sim. :)

Been a while DW. p hehehe

edit: doh sorry, forget that you said Civic, not Clio .doh

Demo: AC-427 :p ............ 2014 Formula Renault 3.5, Karts and Atlanta MP first time in sim I believe. ;) http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Track modding/ conversion is where we need Historic modders first and foremost I think.
    rF>rF2 conversions with jGED, proof is in the pudding.

Give those guys at NG a nudge D. hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  19. Travis

Travis Registered

R3E utilises approximately 20% of ISI's original coding. R3E is isiMotor2 based however there isn't as much original code as some think i.e. R3E's graphics engine is entirely Sector3/SimBin own work.

20. msportdan

msportdan Banned

loving all these wild guesses!!! lmao

how does anyone possibly know how much of these sims are isi code, without working on the sims themselves

geez!