Is Project CARS worth trying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 19, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I hope y'all don't mind me asking this on the ISI forum. I would never give up rf2 completely for any other sim. I was thinking about giving it a go, but I don't want to waste the money if it's not any good. I hear the physics aren't that great. Is that true?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The tyres provides the Most Grip with zero camber Settings, allways. That says everything

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Seriously? Wow.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

....and most of these Assetto Corsa gorgeous looking console rips are data-less, just punch in some numbers and hope for the best.

.......what else is new ? lol ;)

6. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Not sure what you mean by "console rips"?

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well there are dark AC sites that have 100's of AC cars they won't even put on RD, most are pulled from console sims.

Everyone is a physics guru these days.

I always said if I could have ISI engine/physics and SMS ( pCars) modelling / visuals I would be more then happy.

I mean lets face it I would be a liar if I said I did not like Lotus49 modelling.

Does not mean I am disappointed with rF2 graphics, far from it, they have a unique quality about them for mine I can't explain.

8. schigara

schigara Registered

Steam gives refunds inside 2 hours or 2 weeks whichever comes first. It takes most people more than 2 hours just to get the FFB to a half way acceptable level.

Is it worth buying? Not if you like RF2 and are expecting good FFB and physics to go along with the pretty graphics. Pcars is like the pretty cheerleader with no brain. If sims like RF1, GSCE, RF2, AC or R3E frustrate you because you can barely make it around the track without wrecking or can't string together any amount of consistent laps back to back then PCars with it's forgiving handling may be a good fit. I would think most people would have a hard time making that downgrade, though.....RF2 to Pcars is like going from a Porsche to a KIA.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol I know I make this point in threads 3 years , its okay for shooters etc etc you just press start and go, no garage no physics lol

1 month ONLINE ONLY full trial for $10 would be perfect for rF2.

If they don't online they can just get the normal demo.

imo it would prompt more people to try online apparently 90% or some ridiculous figure offline only.

Buy full you get $10 credit

Whoever got a refund of rF2 once they tried it online ? I see 100's in other sims doing it.

10. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

more like a Bugatti to a Ford Fiesta lol

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yup, very dissapointed here from pcars.
    It isnt even a good rF1-mod although feel is similar at some better made cars.
    If it where rF1-engine with pcars graphics-engine - well that had been a hell of a good game! Imagine GSCE with pcars GFX!!
    But it isnt.........its crap.
    Bought it mainly for online as I thought "rF2 online is difficult and empty, so THIS is the solution to do pickup- and clubracing!"
    But online is a wonky, warpy mess! No dedi-server, jerky crash-kids everywhere.......
    ANd after rF2, pcars physics is an affront/insult!

Edit: Im really thinking about going rF2 lifetime and then I often wouldnt have the luck to participate in an online-race when I want it,
    but it would goddamn work this few lucky times! (also related to rF1-2 online activity-thread)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  12. shiet

shiet Registered

pCARS:
    - nice graphics, especially in rain or sunset
    - nice selection of cars
    - good looking and pretty accurate tracks
    - good FFB is you use the Jack Spade tweaker files
    - physics is like in RRE: you just can't kill the car because whatever situation you are in you can always save the rear end... and that's where the game lost me, it's like the console games
    - some cars have pretty bad sounds

13. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I can take the Sierra Cosworth around the Nurburgring one handed, all aids off, H Shifter, roll a cigarette at the same time without crashing, and set a reasonable time !
    I kid you not.... It's not for me :p

14. shiet

shiet Registered

H-shifter + one hand :D

15. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Haha Steve brilliant! :)

As another example, I took the Lotus 49 around Silverstone. Thought something was amiss so started to mess around... Go into a corner at 60mph or so in 3rd, full steering lock, full throttle and I can't even slide the car, it just grips and grips and grips.

Try doing that in rF2 with the BT20 and tell me what happens! :)

16. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Precisely, its so arcade, so easy to drive, not challenging in any way. Totally at the other end of the spectrum to rF2. In my opinion of course.
    I might make a video just for laughs.

17. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Its definetely not arcade as it simulates many factors of racing quite well. Tires feels quite dynamic (more so than other racing sims, not rF2 thought), car setups provide expected results. Moderm racing cars (LMP, GT3 and such) kind of gives "believable" experience.
    However there is overall dampened/filtered feeling of the physics/FFB. When you are at the limit you can correct cars with pretty sloppy inputs. Even thought it feels easy (and there is plenty of time to correct) often I still can't be precise/correct them appropriately as FFB doesn't "guide" me to what the car is actually doing in terms of suspension/tire load.
    Regarding handling dynamics often it feels like you cannot change balance of the car by throttle lift off or balancing brake-thorttle (where you would expect increased turn in/yaw, the car might be totally locked), thought you still can control yaw with throttle power but tire/suspension load induced yaw/oversteer seems to be nonexistant(?) on many cars.

Considering physics/FFB I knew where I am getting into before buying the game. For me the biggest dissapointment was MP quality (I expected PCars to be Nr.1 when it comes to quick pick up racing and having some fun in short races). However PCars MP yet gave me warping opponents, random bugs, huge amount of intentional rammers and the number of people online isn't that high as expected. MP lobby filtering/options also aren't satisfactory.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  18. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

@ unknwn. Very good and intelligent analysis. I just gave a dimwits review :p

19. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I've owned two Mustangs... Their Mustang is the biggest insult to Mustangs since the Mustang II. It was horrible.

Their Damage is pretty awesome....

Their UI is horrible and pretty.

Their Force Feedback is blah...

Their graphics are pretty damn good.

Good luck to you.

20. Tony

Tony Registered

If you're a "purist" & super dedicated than you might be disappointed ..I like pCars quite a lot :D

As Durge has said before now - enjoy both for what they're both best at - does it have to be one or the other?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015