Is Project CARS worth trying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 19, 2015.

1. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I am saying that generalizing is not right regarding this matter. Thought I can post dozen of videos showing that cars can be snappy (i.e. very fast snap rotation where even F1 drivers aren't fast enough to save) under certain circumstances and also videos showing that cars can drive like a boats (not responsive and very forgiving).
    Which sims you are talking about? I find them very different regarding velocity of "snap rotation". Particularly pCars being slowest in "snap rotation", but still easy to recover (which is opposite to what you say). Yet there are real racers (in pCars) saying that it is right behavior. There are also real racers/drivers being "fans" of other sims, saying that their sim of choice is the best regarding car handling. So who is right or wrong? I think it's all relative and posting generalizations won't prove anything as these clips (although I find them more informative than bold claims). People driving F1 or any other fast cars think its astonishing fast because of G forces, sense of speed and overall sensory overload, remove these and it will feel just like in sims (not grippy enough until you have enough practice).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Setup matters. What you're used to matters.

I used to have some video of a friend codriving the Miata I had in an autocross. High speed sweepers with gradually decreasing radius... he panic braked on the very last one and did a 360 spin at about 60 mph in the blink of an eye (*). Much to his credit, he came out of the 360 rolling and kept on going. His impression of the car, at that point, was "wtf happened? It tried to kill me!" Yet he adapted (after I explained) and was able to set solid times in another two runs.

Even within the rF2 realm, pick any car and limit yourself to adjusting tire pressure, front toe, and front swaybar... you'll be able to go from understeering-can't-turn-this-ocean-liner to oh-my-god-this-is-twitchy (or, as a friend succinctly put it, going from annoyed to scared).

(*) I got him back later, on another day, by sliding through the timing lights sideways with his 300ZXtt because I wasn't about to lift off the throttle before the finish.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I would say from worse to best rF2 reviews they all highlight ISI physics prowess ( lmao ) over the rest.

Even if it is a different mixture of the 4 aspects you mention for every driver I really got to ask, what does it matter ?

You get a super commuter, put all data from the real cars, tracks, driver and same sim data.
    Spend years, millions of dollars creating 1000's of test scenario and model.

No matter what is your favorite , would the results have you change sims ? ;)

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Probably the ones not on the pay role ;) are the right ones.

5. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I take that as a joke.:rolleyes: Obviously every random guy who has been on a trackday can't be a paid shill.;)

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What I dislike about physics and engine interpretations is they are generalized across cars, tracks and conditions.

The F3.5 compare was about the first in any detail I think only because the other one looked like eye candy, like in 4 years what other car have you really compared. ?

I asked respectfully opinions on Historic F1, Cobra, Corvette for years now...yadda yadda

But I even go to the next level and detail on a few occasions "my feelings" in 3 F1 Historics, not just a single circuit but a single corner, not one soul comments.

Yet the variation in physics, feeling, inertia, immersion .........whatever you want to call it, in all 3 sims whilst driving through Ascari @Italy it is overwhelming for mine.

P.S. You can't compare ProjectCars Lotus49/Monza anymore as they pulled it. But I did.....

---------------------------

Best way I can explain in basic terms how I feel in rF2:

Hypothetically if you need to be within 2-5 % variation in braking, throttle control, understeer etc. etc. to be.... " in the zone"

In Assetto Corsa and ProjectCars for me it is more like 5-10% .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I remember having tire force at 20 and ffb at 80 or 100 and was acceptable-ish, without the finer tweaks. Anyway, it felt like GTR2 but cars behaved as they shouldn't. A little over a year ago I drove the Sauber C9 around a few tracks without any setup work and sometimes with a little. I topped the laptimes board for a little while (until another few updates) but that car and others just don't seem to replicate how their real life counterparts behave. At one point the Formula B drove nicely, I think until early 2013, but the Formula cars drive very weird.

Through development there was a bunch of talk of simulation and great posts from the two main devs on that, but the output just didn't back up all the great insights. The GT cars were the least bad. My feedback is on the launch build, FYI. But spending 3.5 years following development and everything going through, I hardly believe anything published on the media that sounds so magical is true.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree with some of the things you say and RF2 is no exception. All sims have areas of physics that are ridiculous and frustratingly unrealistic.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you'd be surprised what real life racers will do or say for a bit of cash or sponsorship ;)

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Never read so much Bullsh!t at once in a long time!

wow.

pcars have any advantage, physics-wise compared to rF1?? No. Absolutely none. rF1 is far more logical.

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

I have owned many race games over the past 14 years or so, starting with Grand Prix Legends. The first one that I thought of as a race simulator was rfactor. That remains the case in this season of many titles. I bought rFactor 2 immediately when the beta became available. I purchased PC several weeks ago. I gave the game about a week of my sim racing time. Finally I spent my day off and this was my observation which I shared with a group of men that I routinely drive with.

After more than 5 hours trying to set buttons in this game, my observations are as follows:
    Graphics = Stunning
    Online mod builder = very good
    Tracks = good
    Dynamic road = missing
    FFB = dull and or missing
    Game Play = limited to on track
    Adaptable Controller Setup = poor

If you want "pretty" it is a good choice. In it's current state, I would save my money.

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Careful Peter, he knows "champion drivers". ;)

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

To deny the amount of things that can be done in pCARS is not the greatest argument. Following the development it is clear there is a bunch there, it just so happens it didn't come out as promised over and over. Remember how NFS Shift completely changed with that massive community patch? But you can't buy a game on promises without repeated past results. That is not the case with SMS.

14. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Its not actually.

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Its not missing, or what?

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

YES but rF2 just has less of it. !@!@ >>>> ?????

Like I show in video Spin look at those Aliens brake trailing in SCE, what a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVmFmtyRx7c

Come on be fair dinkum you can't sit there and say that is not ridiculous , may as well still be GTR if you can do that.

17. yusupov

yusupov Registered

dynamic track isnt missing, but its not graphical & no one has much of an idea how it works; i have the impression its something like how AC does it, maybe a bit more complex.

ffb isnt missing at all...imo its at least 'fine' (well beyond 'adequate', which is my preferred euphemism for dull).

and durge, hes not making a point about rf2 or saying all sims are equal. its just a blanket statement thats absolutely true.

18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Pcars has a dynamic track? Since when?

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Okay in that respect I agree.

What I asked for years is really good pilot to explain to me the differences in driving each from their perspective.

You need someone is good at any car and track combo, straight off the top of my head I think of MatF1 as a candidate but I know
    he would not spend the time needed in the other sims or if he even drives them.

It is not about proving rF2 is better, it can't be that for all people.......... and it is not about bashing ProjectCars or any others.

I just would really like to know what they feel from the seat of the pants, do they feel like I do ? Could I relate to their comments ? ;)
    I would like to know if it is all in my head, that's possible.

As for terrain and FFB the simple test is too turn off FFB and tyre noise and drive them all. :)

rF2 offers more feedback in this scenario, when the car starts to "push" you feel the chassis / tyre which produces a effect of interia, even though there is no FFB.

Well I think that brake trailing SCe video for me outlines one dramatic difference, even my rookie room and BBs uses 4x even 7x tyres in open races.
    You simply can't do what those guys do every lap and that is the top 60 online pilots.

I do not see any aliens I drive with in F3 F1 Howston Lola Cobra can take advantage of physics and tyres to do these things ?

P.S. I think iRacing and RF2 are the only ones alike in that respect, you just don't see top leagues of those sims brake trailing because you can't ( unless you turn off tyre wear ......lol )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  20. Travis

Travis Registered

pCARS looks great and often stunning, has 'interesting' physics (I'll leave the reader to interpret the meaning), overblown sounds and the FFB can be okay when using the Jake Spade FFB Tweaker files.

The lack of official modding really hurts pCARS as the car list, despite the large number, is somewhat lacking because not all classes are filled with vehicles (e.g. GT2, GT4, Group A, Le Mans prototypes) and one cannot fill the gaps with mods and the DLC probably won't expand these classes either.

I think pCARS worth purchasing at a discount if one is interested in racing games. With patch #4 released, SMS have fixed quite a number of issues although there is no guarantee they've all been fixed.