Released Howston G4 and G6 v1.2 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 25, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

I asked because of this:

:)

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Awesome video! The real life car is far more planted and nowhere near as under distress as it is in rF2.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, I'm not whining about anything, but this is a bug report. There's either a bug with autoclutch OR a bug with the new driveline. I posted this on another thread, my apologies.

I like the new clutch slippage and it's cool as long as everyone else is on the same page and everyone is using manual clutch. Around Mid-Ohio I'm over 1 sec/lap faster with autoclutch. But I don't understand something.

The autoclutch should kick in when I shift, then once done shifting, autoclutch is disengaged and does nothing else until I shift again. Right?

So if I am not using autoclutch, I manually use my clutch to engage the next gear and successfully get into gear, lift off the clutch and squeeze on the throttle- if I have autoclutch OR manual clutch selected, the car should behave exactly the same. At that point the autoclutch is on vacation until I shift again. So why is it that with manual clutch, after I successfully shift, do I get clutch slippage if I give it too much throttle? It makes no sense. There's either a bug with this new driveline (which is fine if everyone is affected by the same bug) or a bug with autoclutch.

In a real car, many bad things can happen if you give it too much gas. What the Howstons does makes no sense. This has nothing to do with how we are using the clutch pedal, there is a bug with the car or autoshift in the game. I hope the driveline is either fixed soon (I suppose if the real car's clutch was insufficient for the output of the engine you could slip the clutch by giving it too much gas- but then with autoclutch the driveline should do the exact same thing) or autoclutch is fixed soon.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not sure if this is what you''re on about Guy but from post #1:

There's one issue related to the clutch, it will slip when up-shifting results in improper mismatch of revs, this will be in-place until the new drive-line model comes online (no ETA on this).

To me that says you'll/we have to wait until the new driveline model is out in a Build before it simulates proper clutch involvement, so not a bug as such as it's not there yet.

6. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

That's difficult to determine as the actual specs, like tyres used in that vid are unknown, and ofcourse the question of how close to the limit that car is driven. Check this one lap at Spa, which shows a far more tail-happy T70.

7. Hectari

Hectari Registered

'Improper mismatch' suggests to me that it is not intended to work that way and can be regarded like a bug from being incomplete until it's updated.

So for it to work the way ISI cars have up until now would require going backwards with things already set in place in the Howston which really isn't worth doing? Onwards and upwards!

..and when the new drive-line is implemented will clutch slip on upshifts still happen in these with too much revs/power with a good shift?

Even with it that way it's still great fun to drive manual, though i'll be racing with auto clutch until further notice. There's just too big a performance gulf between them just now.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I understand the argument of close to the limit, but look at the speeds, lines, and amount of wheel correction and compare that to rF2. rF2 is a bit exaggerated on those aspects (and it's not just the Lola).

ps: lovely video too.

9. Hectari

Hectari Registered

This driver looks to be pushing harder. The previous Le Mans video is very smooth driving, hard to tell just how close to the edge he is going and who is the faster driver.

It's down to the driver, it can be driven either way in RF2. You see a lot of simracers unable to keep from going over the edge on a regular basis with that much power while trying to lap quickly. You see a lot less of it in real life racing, for obvious reasons.

Great video, been posted many times and always a good watch. At 45seconds the interviewer tells Jackie he looked the slowest in practice:

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Great advice for racing in general and pretty much mandatory for the Howston's (on any track) unless you have truly alien skills.

11. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

If you see at telemetry you will see that first video is just a driver driving safe and trying not to ovesteer. You can drive at that speed and smooth moves and you will not slide, and see at Gforce telemetry... never more than 1.1Gs, just the same as rF2. There is lots of videos of drivers driving this car in a safe way and not sliding, and you will also see drivers pushing a little more (you only have to hear throttle in both cases...) ans sliding easily, in brakings and aggressive downshifting, pushing in mid turn stage, and also in exits.

The car is not planted, the driver is doing It planted. And like this car, almos everyone in every sim, you can see Skip Barbers in real life not doing any correction, and you will also see Skip Barbers doing 2 secs faster and drivers fighting with the wheel. Or GTRs... I'm training for an endurance race, and people at the begining is sliding with no end with that car, and It's not a car problem, It's a driver and setup problem, because that car can be pushed as hell with tons of grip, It's the driver smoothnes what matters (and setup, for sure). When people is used to the lack of feeling, all improves, smoothnes, times, tire wear... It's way more easy to push and go through limits in rF2 than in real life.

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

+1

It's obvious the Le Mans driver is not on the edge... He has some margins, especially in the braking.
    I could easily drive the Howston G4 like in the video, driving fast but not on the limits. Braking a little bit earlier, be just a little bit more gentle on the throttle out from the slow corners.

People simply needs more patience with the cars.

In the video, I think it's the 5-speed car and looks like topspeed is ~280km/h. It should be similar to the 1969 Howston G4 car, and that car has plenty of grip if not overdriving. It is really stable both in the braking and accelerating. The 4-speed 1967 model with 550hp and 330 km/h topspeed however, is more of a challenge ;)

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I was supposed to write something similar when posting that video, but I was hoping no one will start comparing :) I just found the video enjoyable.

It's true we don't know that car's specs and by the looks of it, driver was taking it easy most of the time.

Yeah, one of my favorite interviews.

Also +1 to Esteve's post.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, the most important thing to know when watching these videos with historic cars is whether they are using replicas of the original incredibly crappy by today's standards bias-ply tires, or, more likely, that they are using a modern tire. The Howston's in rF2 are supposed to simulating the literal 1960's experience, not driving one today with today's better tires.

Remember the mod that was available for GTL...so you could drive with the original bias ply nightmares (but such fun sliding the lower-powered cars around) or modern tires. The brakes still sucked either way, but the handling was improved dramatically (as expected) with the modern tires.

Anyone know about this particular video?

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I believe they are using AVONs
    http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic-tyres

16. hoover

hoover Registered

I've now added a challenge based on the Howston G6 Mk3 (1969) to rF2 rank here:

http://rf2.gplrank.info/handicaps/2/

I've used the three classic ISI tracks (Monza, Spa and Monaco) nor now, but may add "Nordschleife Tourist" later.

All the best, Uwe

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm bit late to the show and i'm not sure if i'm doing right with the roads grip building but this cars are sliding all over the place ( bad mechanical grip ) and brakes are terrible. I'm not sure if this cars where really such a ice figure skater than they are. It makes fun to controle but i'm doing hard to believe this is right.

18. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I think it's quite stable. And the G6 is much worse than the G4 with wide rear tires too.
    Definitely not sliding all over the place at least... But I lock up tires twice :)

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1960s cars with 1960s tires and 1960s brakes and not forgetting you're driving it in a simulation not the real thing, office speil but "think outside of the box" i.e. imagine what it was like all those years ago to drive these monsters then you'll appreciate them for what they are and how they drive.

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Sure is it makes fun, how real it is i really don't know and you guys could be right. I would just add my perception and first impression. And based on it the cars could have some greater mechanical grip.