Released Howston G4 and G6 v1.2 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 25, 2013.

1. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

That was the skin that I elected to paint, for the contest.

[​IMG]

2. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes it is !

This car differs IMO in handling from all the other cars from ISI, so i ask myself about reasons.
    Is it related to the specific carateristic of this car, lot of torque/power, wide bias-ply tyres wth a relative hard compound and almost no downforce?
    Is it related to the new constraint system with improved suspension simulation and chassis flex?
    Or maybe some sort of rethinking about tyre charakteristics like: "we think tyres where to difficult to drive, had to sharp dropoff in grip"?

I think last point isn't very likely, however i think at least some of the "older" cars are to difficult to handle in conditions like low speed and/or wet track.

Just for clarification, with "older" cars i don't mean historic, but those ISI-cars which where released before the Houston's. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Chassis flex, if implemented correctly, would be an incredibly subtle effect...less than almost any garage setting change. These cars were not advanced-for-their-time like the F1's, but they weren't cardboard boxes, either.

They are amazing to drive because someone decided "let's build a car that's as fast or even faster than an F1 car, but with relatively cheap and rudimentary parts." The AC Cobra is the same concept. See if you can beat a Ferrari with something that's 10 steps below on the evolutionary scale. The whole sport of NASCAR is based on this philosophy.

Driving the pinnacles of motor sports is also a lot of fun (and glad we have those in rF2), but sitting in a "monster" and unleashing it on a track like Monza or Longford that is suited to its character is an amazing experience and why we patiently put up with the glacial pace of rF2 development and design frustrations.

4. samuelw

samuelw Registered

iTS OFFICIAL, I'm only driving the Howstons from now on. I need to photoshop a parking sticker on so I can park in the company lot on Monday.
    SW

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I'd like to hear what rf2 60s f1 drivers think of this mod. I myself am just blown away more and more by this mod. Also looking forward to clutch being implemented like this in 60s f1 cars. I simply love the feeling I get when mis-shifting. So immersive and huge smile on my face the entire day afterward.

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I have now a far better handling after a fresh installation of rF2. Don't know what happened, it also fixed a sound problem (no tire sound). Great cars! :)

7. benmttf

benmttf Registered

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I love these cars... the F1 cars are boring now ;)

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

How do you limit the clutch slip when not using auto-clutch? I was driving the G4 MkIII in a race today and I'm getting crazy clutch slippage. I'd be in 4th gear (shifted into 4th no problem) accelerating, but if I gave it full gas, the clutch would just slip so it was really hard to get to top speed unless I babied the gas and VERY gently fed it gas. I was trying to shift a bit earlier and it seemed to help too, but is there some magic I'm missing or do I just have to give it gas ridiculously slow?

10. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

If it goes don't feather it like a wheelspin, get off the gas completely and have another go.

The clutch slip is quite hard to detect sometimes, it can take a while for it to spin up. Once the gear is in correctly ,I don't think I've had any clutch slip just from adding power.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  11. samuelw

samuelw Registered

My technique is totally off the gas until the next gear is engaged. If I cheat and start pressing the gas pedal too early the clutch slips until I totally let off the gas. At this time my upshifts are quite slow, which matches me slowly understeering off the road at Burnenville.
    Sam

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Probably not the fastest way but I release gas pedal and use clutch.

13. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Oh mis-shift, you are there when I least expected. I know I don't need you and, in fact, you are bad for me. Yet I smile every time we meet. And when you don't show up I smile too. Go figure. :p

14. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

These cars are amazing when running with the latest wide tire model on a fully rubber-ed in track. Such an absolute pleasure to drive and with the way these things are, the best feeling is having to correct the apposite locks while throwing them into corners. I just love how when you press the break it pushes the nose into the corner. Its such an amazing feeling.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just an FYI on the high wing version, with the Howston using a generic name, they were going to do a Can-Am spec car version, but as Lola naming is still a possibility, they pulled it from the Howston. I think if a Can-Am is done, it'll be a Can-Am proper.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Good to know Tim.

Cheers. :)

17. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Thanks for the update, Tim. :)

18. Cpt_Johann

Cpt_Johann Registered

Apologies if this is elsewhere:

How is everyone finding the AI for the Howstons? I'm finding them slower than for other cars - I just won a 5 lap race by over 10 seconds at Brizana with the AI at 99% difficulty (depending on track) and 75% aggression. 99% difficulty would usually thrash me!

Light rubbered track, about 10 laps of practice before the race. 7pm race with headlights.

I usually run the AI on 96% at the highest (and usually with slower cars as well - I'm amazed I can control the Howstons as well as I can as the Historic F1s are too much for me) In general I'm running the difficulty up a couple of percentile points for the Howstons compared to say Historic F2s. I've run at Essington, Spa Classic and Brizana.

I am running an automatic clutch (still on the black momo!) but surely that isn't worth 2+ seconds a lap? Also I am getting the fuelling issue for the AI (with them pitting) if that would make them lap slower?

Otherwise the Howstons are awesome and they're my favourite thing ever :)

Edit: so the AI's were running 1:33s at their best laps in the race at Brizana. It was a mix of 68/69 G4s.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  19. samuelw

samuelw Registered

20. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The AI is really slow at Brianza, if you are running the 10k version they sometimes will even brake going into the oval. lol

And that was on 110%, I was running about 3 tenths off the fastest G6s in the G4.