Helmet/Driver templates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jul 24, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

I`m thinking (hoping) that the historic drivers helmet/face cover etc could do with a bit of an update?

The helmet especially is a bit odd looking imo and the face cover material seems to be in the goggles covering the eyes too.

I know back then some of those guys tried to cover as much of their faces as possible but they didn`t cover their eyes... :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

That's actually just an alpha channel that's too opaque in the goggle texture; one of the details I'm working on with my Historic F2 update :)

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd pump out a Cevert helmet right away. I made the textures for another ISI based game and it'd probably not be too bad to convert it... even if the helmet model itself isn't as detailed in rf2.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

So the drivers eyes being covered over is an alpha channel thing? Right... be nice if we had his eyes showing and maybe one or two drivers with dark goggles like Sir Jack had sometimes...

The helmet doesn`t look right to me though:

[​IMG]

It seems to be a very basic texture or something and looks like it`s in two halfs that have been glued together. We deffo need a better historic drivers helmet imo...

5. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Unfortunately Cevert's helmet wouldn't quite be possible; the current historic helmet has mirrored mapping; everything on the left side of the helmet is a mirror image of the left side, you you would have backwards text and the wrong colour stripe on the left side. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are two of the variants that I've done for the skinpack; as you can see, the driver's eyes are visible. It was a simple fix. Unfortunately this wasn't fixed when the driver models were updated in the official ISI content. I have a semi-workaround for the skin pack, though; but it will need a little bit of online testing to see how it performs in practice. It's just fine in singleplayer and works as I thought it would, but I don't know how it will work online. I'm hoping it works.

Like above, this is because the left side actually is a mirror of the right side, unfortunately. It significantly limits what you can do for a personalized helmet, for sure. I'd love to have a whole new historic helmet (or, rather, just a complete unwrap instead of a half unwrap) for sure, but for now I really just want the wireframe for the existing one so I can work on some textures for the skinpack.

6. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

Yes I had a hard time trying to skin this into a Hill helmet...Almost happy with the result:)
    View attachment 9859

regards,

Sean

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff there Ryno, interesting too. The drivers and cars are looking good and great to see the drivers eyes...

I wondered at the time of the historic driver updates why there were no updates to the helmet(s) and they left the eyes covered.

:confused:

I really do hope we get these two aspects updated by ISI. It would be great to have a new, classy helmet on these guys.

I`m looking forward to your skinpack. :)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Nice Hill helmet there Senna.

9. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

That must have been quite a pain. How long did it take you to get the lines into the right spots? There's absolutely no reference in the texture to where they should be, complete trial and error. Wish I had 3DS so I could pull the wireframe UV unwrap out to use...

If ISI does update it, I'd love to see the dust mask go up over the nose. Those who want it under the nose could achieve the look via alpha channel, too. Would help provide some more diversity in the drivers. :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Indeed it would. +1 for that. :)

11. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

Yeah it was time consuming...I've wanted a Hill helmet for a while.

here's a jpeg of the texture...the bt20-lotus49 mod is almost done, always getting side tracked.
    View attachment 9867

edit

kind regards,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  12. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

That's interesting; is that a different helmet than the generic cars are using? The helmet on the EVE F2 car at least has 'half' a texture that gets mirrored to the other side on the model. Your texture looks like it has the full thing?

(Also, are you the one making the Lotus skin? If so, "Clarke" should be "Clark." :)

13. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

hi,

yes I noticed that I spelled Clark with the e by mistake:)

I see that the evef2 uses the other older version classic helmet texture.

14. DA

DA Registered

Hey guys. How set not transparent visor in Photoshop? Which sets for DDS HELMET/DRIVER? DDS3 or DDS5?

Don't finish my helmet (Williams F1 skin for Marussia).

[​IMG]

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Hmm... I'm going to try to put this helmet on the cars in my skinpack... We'll see how that goes... It'll open up the options considerably for what I can do with the helmet textures.

You'll have to modify the alpha channel of the texture (making it lighter will make it less transparent. White is solid, black is invisible, and then everything in between) and save it as a DXT5 DDS with alpha channel.

16. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

The driver 3D Max model in Dev Corner, is the last one?

17. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

If you mean 2013 model, no.

18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

19. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  20. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I'm making some formula renault 3.5 mods and can't seem to get the drivers skin to load...How do I load alt drivers textures for a group of cars?

Kind regards,

Sean