Great News!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alesi, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey Alesi, my current best is a 1:46 min too.. Here is a short quote from what I have written after a couple of laps in a topic regarding this car.

Uhm, and that should end up my off topic here. But the thread is still open and maybe you'd like to talk over there: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2170-rear-end-feels-unnatural

2. tarros

tarros Registered

There was an old 3d about ffb feelig ....no matter what i say...
    I think unpredictable behavior of rf 3.5 is related on what se feel on wheel...aka ffb

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That is interesting then. Have any of those with that feeling tried disabling FFB to see if it gives you a better 'feeling' for the car?

4. FONismo

FONismo Registered

What i was trying to say when i mentioned the FFB is the lack of feel of the tyres that i can feel in every other car in the sim. Suspension travel etc feels excellent but the tyres are hard to read through the wheel. Thinking about it now though, it's possibly the tyres and lack of heat or whatever that is contributing to this feel of lack of grip, lack of tyre feel at least for me.

I have learnt to get round it now and can drive fine but i will be honest and say in terms of feel through the wheel it reminds me of rF1 with the lack of feel of tyres. It feels like a Real Feel mod as you can really feel what the suspension is doing. Maybe once the tyres are sorted things will change.

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

For me it wasnt FFB, it was a complete lack of understanding what the rear end was doing and why. Grip just wasnt predictable and almost 'random'.

6. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

in a server now doing laps of north loop, the car is very unforgiving sometimes on corner exit i can feel what the tires are doing but its so quick its too late to counter, I feel its just traction on the back sometimes and its enough to send you around. the ffb for the tires for traction does feel light, maybe the other "real feel" effects are drowning them out. Could also be down to small downforce on the back as its slower car so its harder to get fast airflow on the back and your normally quite slow in the corners and jab the gas down and bang.

But i expect thats what its like in real life. I'll edit to add more.

its still amazing fun tho!

edit: just did a 5 lap run noticed that after a few laps the ffb feeling for the wheels came up and was albe to push and meet apexs and get on the gas quicker in corner, could feel the wheel get light as the back end went out of check and albe to correct slides with a counter turn to bring the car back into check, greeted with a ffb thud to let me know I had countered correctly and continued normal weighted feel.

edit:Also when car backend was sliding out in mid corner could feel the wheel being turned more into the corner so had to correct to stop slide.

made some setup changes, raised ride height and lowered tire pressures to just above 100, increased wing on back and front (back by 3 click), left 12 laps of fuel in.

wheel 500rs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  7. tarros

tarros Registered

perhaps my mistake...or i understand nothing in simulation this is only my POV...
    after many year spend on rfactor, and ,mny other sims i learn to judge phisics about what i feel on wheel (70%) and what i see (30%).
    my first test on new sim it's to start driving (@limit) what i feel....only when touch limit go to setup and search for new.....
    this i what i do ...ad what i 'll aspect from new generation sim .....
    At the end for me F.R. 3.5 i's too much frustrating to drive for lack of information on wheel.
    THAT's all
    all imho
    P.s. i hope all the new sim are projected around FFb...
    don't forget that is the only mechanical part linked to virtual car

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I think the physics of the R3.5 are fine- it feels like any other car to me, nothing's screwy. But the car itself just is not very good. Crap Wagon. Not every car is great to drive- some are quirky. This is one of those cars. If given enough time I could figure the nuances of this car and get quick with it- there are leagues using it right now. Don't blame the FFB or physics, it's just not that great of a handling car.

9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

That's actually a good point. I'm not saying anything about the how realistic the FR 3.5 is currently (I'll have to wait until I can get the tyres to stay at 80-90 degrees constantly, instead of 40-50 degrees), but sometimes it sounds like people don't want to accept the fact that not every car is particularly great to drive.

A great example is the Alfa 8C, even if it isn't a racing car. It's a beautiful, powerful Italian sports car, and in every rF mod it's been very pleasant to drive. In real life though? Straight quote from Ben Collins when ask what was the most deceiving car he had ever driven: "Quite easily the Alfa Romeo 8C - looked like Elle MacPherson; drove like a wheelbarrow"

Not every car, even every racing car, is good to drive. Some are just plain crap. And if the data that ISI has suggests the FR 3.5 behaves realistically (tyre temp issue not withstanding), then I'm more likely to believe them than people who have just seen them race occasionally and are guessing. Sure, it will most likely be much much better when the temps start working properly, but until then I'll withhold judgment.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

more aero will raise the limits of grip and yes will generally be more stable your right, but once you get to those limits or close to them any car can slide, be loose, be un predicitable, your at the limit or near the limit of the tyres/chassis grip, the limit of adhesion. Just because a car slides or is unpredictable doesnt mean the car doesnt have a crap load of grip, im sure if you look at your corner speeds, your rate of deceleration under braking you will find very high grip levels (can corner very fast/can decelerate very quickly). We dont feel all these insane high g loads, so you just corner as fast as you can until the car starts reacting and reaching its limits as if its nothing, you dont feel all the crazy g's and downforce pushing you to the ground giving you more grip, you just keep going harder and faster until you start to loose grip and then underestimate the speeds and gs your pulling just because the car doesnt handle great at/near the limits.

11. ROON

ROON Registered

+1 it's like the rear end is a free spirit and does what ever it wants. It's impossible to predict.

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I wouldn't say it was unpredictable I would say it happens bloody fast. In the real car you would feel the car going away from you before it starts to get sideways and correct it. In a fast open wheeler by the time your eyes tell you the back end is kicking out it's usually too late.

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Thanks blakboks.

Not often do I quote myself, maybe people didn't see it because it was the last post of the page, but I can't reiterate my point enough:

Added to that, the R3.5 is one of the best handling racing cars out there. It's a top-line high powered high grip feeder series to Formula 1. It's engineered as a pure thoroughbred racing car. It's handling would be predictable and sublime. You don't lap within 10 seconds of a Formula 1 car with 33% less horsepower if the car doesn't handle well.

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

That's about right, and I often feel like the car reacts as though I've given it 2-3 times as much gas, cause the whole rear comes around, it's not like there's a sharp snap{even though that does happen}, it's a 180+ degree spin.

15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yes, F3.5 form factor should eat Malaysia 2nd sector, but it makes me feel like a chump:mad:

16. ROON

ROON Registered

Precisely. I'm not sure how this eludes so many people here.

17. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Can you give an example of how it 'should' feel? i.e. A particular car/mod (from any game)?

18. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

It doesn't necessarily have to feel like other cars, but for example, consider RACE07 F3000, Game Stock Car F3 and Netkar Ftarget.
    I really just want more grip and for my actions to be proportionate, ie, a small controlled dose of gas equates to smooth acceleration vs a 180deg spin...

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I know what you're talking about. When I first drove the FR3.5, I was constantly spinning out of corners - like it was being given way more throttle then I was giving.

Was very frustrating at first. But I kept practicing and kept dialing in my setup and I realized it wasn't the car, it was me.

I can now lap consistently without spinning. All it takes i practice and patience.

20. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

What kind of aero package are you using in FR 3.5? In upgrade are three options.

Did you tried all of them? (especially with high downforce)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.