GP79 conversion with permission

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Arnao, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

Quick feedback from me, allthough all important stuff is already mentioned here.

From pure driving and the dynamics of the car, it feels very good and really endlessly predictable. The car does exactly what you want from it. It's very hard to get it to break out or anything though. Acceleration is a bit like having low TC enabled.

The current tires as already mentioned have a massive overload on grip and are also wearing very slow at the same time.
    They usually stay very cold if they don't get heavy load from a fast corner. Rear tires stay mostly around 50°.

Very enjoyable already.
    As soon as all the stuff is worked out and the mod gets some nice cockpit graphics, this should become very good :)

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I think the tires are fine, but they should wear more quickly. I don't think they are too grippy at all. I'd like to see 2 compounds only- if we reduced the tire life of the proto tires and made slightly less grippy hards that will last the entire race we'd have a great tire set. There's no need and no historical precedent for a 3rd soft compound.

Speedster mentioned a problem with the ISI tire tool and ISR is working on it. That will fix the problem of the center of the tire heating more than the outsides.

3. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

I assume they are, when going over 5 seconds faster than the 79 pole time. In combination with the car itself and/or track accuracy.

4. speedster

speedster Registered

I am with you Guy on the tire grip of the LEM-Tires, it fits perfect for these cars.

Just tell me how much wear you want to have on the tires in relation to the actual wear and I will take lemmings tires as a basis, tweak the tgm parameters and then recompile it with ttool, if that would be ok for you.

edit: just saw dinos post - maybe we should arrange on the preferred grip level befor starting the work :)

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

There are just too many variables to put it on the tires alone.

6. Arnao

Arnao Registered

I'm with Dino...to much grip for historical accuracy !!

Lem soft proto Tires don't have, for now, a correct size to fit GP79 car... I'm still using sizeMultiplicator for them...
    Lemming already told me that it was already corrected(notice) for next one.

I really Hope to do better job on cockpit but I still learning 3D things.
    For now only ARROWS A1 and BRABHAM BT48 3d cockpit have been remade by me(same old texture)...and this is not as good as I want them to be
    Interior shot from this period are rare. So if you have some please post them here...

Thanks

7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Jees... instantaneous turns... good grief! I must have really learned how to corner professionally since last GP79 build.
    Okay I get it. I was only dreaming that I was turning corners so fast. Next time I should do it while I am awake.

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Using older textures on new 3d models, I'd be surprised if it comes out as good as you want it to be in the first place. Just take it one step at a time :)

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

How do we "know" this new change has too much grip?

In 1979, exactly how big was a F1 tire? 16" wide?

Just because you are going 5 seconds faster, doesn't mean it's wrong. It means you can push the car farther, because you aren't risking your life.

10. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

I found some here...

11. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

those were Arrows and Ferrari's...
    ...more here: renaul, tyrrel, williams...

12. Arnao

Arnao Registered

THANKS A LOT LUIS

This will be really helpfull

13. Arnao

Arnao Registered

The RF1 version was perfect for Downforce...
    I didn't touch them...
    To be RF2 compatible just few line has change or add...
    As exemple this line are missing... they are from FISI2012.hdv

Code:
    [BodyAero]
    BodyNegRakeDrag=(-0.00, 0.000, 5.0) // if rake is negative, use absolute value of rake angle: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyPosRakeDrag=( 0.00,-0.000, 5.0) // if rake is positive: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyNegRakeLift=(-0.012, -0.000, 28) // if rake is negative, use absolute value of rake angle: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyPosRakeLift=( 0.00,-0.000, 5.0) // if rake is positive: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)

SideLeadingExponent=1.9         // RFM Drafting override: Added to regular LeadingExponent to affect the side wake
    SideFollowingExponent=15.0      // RFM Drafting override: Added to regular FollowingExponent to affect the side wake

So yes GP79 areo and down force are not totally convert for RF2 ...

14. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

I thought the advantage with ground effects was that there were almost no extra drag at all compared to the amount of down force produced?
    (not trying to debate, just wondering)

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That may be it too. In rF1 the game didn't have ground effect properly sorted (it's even mentioned in the GP79 pdf manual) and to simulate ground effect, they had to change the wing characteristics. If the aero package from rF1 was brought over to rF2 (and yes, rF2 has proper ground effect implemented right now) then it may be that the cars have too much downforce generated by the rear wing combined with the ground effect of rF2.

theory: If these things are generating a LOT of extra downforce that would make the tires seem grippier and account for the lap times (combined with track inaccuracies). How can we test the aero load of these cars at speed?

16. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

http://atspeedimages.com/

Here you'll find not only a few 79's car details but MANY from as long as 1910 to nowadays cars...very useful I guess...

The Lotus 79...

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Good point Guy. it may well be that the tires are correct (ish) but other variables need to be tweaked. less downforce/more ground effect will certainly change things dramatically.
    Keep in mind not all cars have ground effect in this mod.

Question is, and I don't want to re-read the whole thread, will the mod continue to evolve?
    Because if not, then it seems the tires would be the main target to try and get where people want it to go.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yes, the entire mod (mostly graphical from what I understand) will evolve, work is being done on the engine and tires though. Marcus wants to bring the engine model up to rFactor2 standards (esp. the turbo) and wants to make the tires perfect. We did the Race for 3dSimEd3 for MotorFX and he had mentioned converting some GP79 tracks to rF2 but I haven't heard from him since just after the race. So a trackpack is in limbo. I just hope MotorFX is OK, it's like he dropped off the edge of the world- he has done a LOT of great stuff for sim racing. The BMW Procar mod (that was a support series that raced before the European rounds of the F1 races) is being worked on, albeit slowly and we hope to have that along with GP79.

Keep your eyes on the Leagues/Private Racing forum- ~ISR~ is going to host a series for this mod. There will be no points [yet] but we are going to hold 4 races, scheduled to not clash with real F1 races. Tentative schedule:
    Sept 1 -Spanish GP at Jarama 79
    Sept 14 -British GP at Silverstone 70
    Sept 29 -USA Grand Prix East at Watkins Glen 70's
    Oct 20 -South African Grand Prix at Kyalami 79

-Sign-ups will be here and a mirror thread will be posted at ISR
    -Even though ISR is hosting, this event will be a public (with sign up) event, so joining ~ISR~ is highly encouraged but not necessary

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Anybody knows what is the switch on the wheel for?

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

On the left are the ARB adjustment tools, on the right is a knob for brake bias. There has to be a switch for ignition and fuel cut off. Remember that race where Nigel Mansell killed his engine when waving to the crowd in the 80's? That ignition switch was supposedly on his wheel, so maybe that's what this switch is on the Lotus?