[REL] GP3 SERIES 2016/2017/2018 2.31

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

hmm I could swear last week reducing steering wheel range had no effect, but today it is very noticable. Ok that way I can work with it! 180° only (and 24° in the setup) and risking to destroy my wheel hitting the lock quite often but the car responses at least to the input...
    edit: note that the gt3 claim 22° where I have a steering range of 360° set, and they response as fast as the gp3 now with 24° steering and range of 180° only. So imo something is off.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. oppolo

oppolo Registered

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@oppolo try Shift+Seat Fore (check in controls for Seat Fore adjustment).

4. oppolo

oppolo Registered

i meant this
    [​IMG]

5. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Can you please report Steam ID rFactor2?
    A lot of things were re-coded by S397 in the last week's...
    Than you

6. oppolo

oppolo Registered

[​IMG]

7. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

I have to come back to the turning capabillities of the gp3. A (simplified) formula for the turning circle is
    D = 2*L/ sin(a) with L is the wheel base and a the angle of front wheel deflection
    With a setting of 24° in the setup, and < 2800mm wheelbase for the Dallara 2016 model, turning circle diameter should yield at about 14m.
    I tested it in monza, where google say the straight next to the pit lane has a width of 19m from the wall to the gras stripe - what makes sense, 12m min. for the main track and the additional stripe to the wall.
    As a result, doing a 180° turn right away from the wall, you end in opposite direction standing with the whole car ON the grasstripe, so the turning diameter is ~21m approx. .!!
    The theoretical wheel deflection to do a 21m turning circle with a 2800mm wheelbase is 15.5° which is surprisingly close to the 16.5° standard, so maybe the maximum of 24° is mapped to 16.5° internally accidently? And all other defelctions are less by same ratio?
    In any case the car turns too poor and all options in tuning make it even worse. In Macau, the 180 turn almost at the end of the downhill section, you will not make it around even with 24° setting!
    Please fix it or give us a 4th tuning option increasing true wheel deflection by 50% (and thus hopefully lowering turning diameter by a factor of 1/3)
    Thank you
    Stefan

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  8. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

To explain Macau: The F3 was racing there last year with a dramatic finish. Most of you will know it. The video shows at the beginning the corner I was talking about:

The F3 has same wheelstand of 2800mm. They are probably very similiar to the gp3, both Dallaras. Next year the series merge anyway. They have no problems to turn tight into the exit of the corner, while not turning 100% tight at the beginning. The apex is not at 50% width of the overall corner diamater but later. For the GP3 in rf2, yes there is one (and only one) circle to get you around, I found it driving backwards from the exit with the wheel full deflected :) But again, in the vid you see the cars tightening the radius for the exit. This is not possible in the GP3 currently, not even for 24°!

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thank you @Stefan_L_01 for the info. Atm this is not our priority but we'll look at it in the future.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

F1 teams use a separate steering rack for Monaco to get around the Hotel Hairpin. I would assume the GP3 cars have the same type of arrangement where a different steering ratio is substituted to get around Macau.

11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Unfortunately it is forbidden by GP3 rules, mainly because of it is very expensive...
    Here some words by GP3 engineer:
    The steering lock to lock is fixed by the steering rack which you can´t change as you would need to manufacture a new set of gears and shaft. Not allowed and very expensive.

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Well the build is up-to-date, no problem. So the issue should depend of some low graphic setting in options. This is the heat haze effect that shouldn't be visible. Sorry, but I do not remember which one and to test them one by one takes time I haven't.

13. oppolo

oppolo Registered

i f
    i found where my problem comes from, it is this "Rearview Cull":false,it happens also with marussia

Slow Motion likes this.
  14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Does this mod use CPM tire model? If yes, are there plans to use the latest one that uses point based acceleration QSA model?

15. oppolo

oppolo Registered

are brakes a little bit weak? i tried f. renault and marussia and are much more stronger

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

GP2 uses 6 piston carbon brakes. I would assume F1 would exceed that level. Gp3 uses 4 piston steel brakes. They should be less effective.

Christos Segkounas and avenger82 like this.
  17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I want to say thank you, also on behalf of all involved people in the development, to the great interest that still all of you are deserving to the mod, asking for detailed info, testing and reporting and also to the mates that a lot of time answers in the thread giving their help and contribute.

What I suggest to the guys that have recently discovered the mod, is the good reading of the whole thread and also to the old one that was used during the development (linked in the first post): time by time we discussed about everything you are asking for, like brakes torque, latest CPM, steering wheel, overall behavior of the car, etc... Motec data (and we also provided our GP3 workspace) where analyzed by "Mr. D", the GP3 engineer that provided documentation and followed us during the development.

I'm sure the mod is not perfect and we are always working on it, much more now that another GP3 team is using it for their simulator and that already reported feedback for some "area", where we can have room for improvements. For instance we are now focused on steering rack and it is probable that we'll change something...

Thank you

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Gp3 with Brand hatch 0.77b is my best RF2 combo for car and track.

Mauro likes this.
  19. oppolo

oppolo Registered

the meaning to mount carbon fiber disk is
    -reduce of unsprung weight
    -better frictional perfomance at high temp
    -better structural properties at high temp: better grip at high temp and no fading until the boiling point of braking liquid is reached.
    also 4 big drum brakes could lock the wheels of a modern formula.
    anyway, never mind, no problem

20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

OK but the thread is quite long and for example I didn't see confirmation(here or in Steam's workshop) whether it uses latest CPM with QSA model fix (only that it's on todo list). OK So I guess it doesn't use latest QSA model fix yet.

Anyway great job guys, it's already one of the best third-party mods.