[REL] GP3 SERIES 2016/2017/2018 2.31

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Jun 4, 2017.

1. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Should the rain drops show up on the body of the car or have I got a setting not right?

2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

First of all: Thank you very much. This car is a blast to drive. It feel absolutely great. The ffb strength (G27-100% strength) feels awesome. The cars look great. Just one question:
    The raindrops on the visor 16:9 look really big and pixeled. Did I something wrong in the car tuning menu, or is this something that can be improved in further updates?
    Cheers and thank you very much :)

3. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Having been a tester of this mod and done extensive laps. I can say how fantastic this mod is, and how much work Slow motion and Chris (edit* team) have poured into this mod.
    The Force feedback and physics showcases RF2 at its best imo. The car responds well to setup tuning, there are many changes to setup that can change the balance of the car for the driver. Tyres are crucial factor just as in real life, if you over abuse they overheat but when you drive correctly and allow temps to settle its wonderful and rewarding experience. For anyone who is a fan of open Wheelers or a fan of damn good quality mods, grab this mod!

Cheers
    Daniel

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Atsuki and elcoco like this.
  4. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

I can confirm raindrops do work, and you should see them, unless you have disabled.

5. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Collecting few questions about rain drops, here some explanation with easy words for what is possible.
    • rF2 code allows 2 different kinds of shaders for raining, I can say one mainly for "body" (that also allows visual damages = scratches) and few for "window" (inside and outside surfaces, windshield). They must be managed in almost different way during development also because TC cars need animated wipers, as explained into official documentation released by S397
    • the GP3 uses both shaders: the "body" has been applied not only to the main body, but also to several other items like the tail, the floor, etc. to try to better simulate what happens in real life. The "window" shaders have been applied to the little front windshield and side windows of the car, but also to visor and also to driver's suit and helmet
    • what you can see about raindrops on body is the best possible, also if I could agree that the result is not very closed to the real world
    • as explained by S397, the "window" shaders work in a different way by the "body" shader and must be developed and managed in a different way, also showing raindrops in a different way and "linked" to the dimension of the surface
    • about the driver's suit and helmet, only the use of the "window" shaders show the raindrops (but not for gloves?! and I have no idea at all of the reason) and the result is not so bad
    • about the visor what explained in the above points, if applied as it is, shows an unnatural effect, with very very small raindrops like you can see on windshield. If you look at any video that shows raindrops from inside the helmet, on visor, you see very very large drops that can appear also like a halo, out of focus, etc... and we replicated the effect also into the visor of the GP3
    • Of course, we cannot change the code of rF2 and the best we were able to have is what you see using the visor in rain. In addition we have added few options for "raining visor" where you can perceive different sizes of raindrops (like in case of 16:9 and 4:3 options vs. the raining "standard" visor) and different edges of the helmet interior. So everybody is free to use the effect that prefers
    Personally I don't care too much for the graphical side of rFactor2... I understand that also a good looking scene is important, but I think that a game closed to a simulator, like rFactor2 is, must care much more for the physics. In conclusion I don't know if the rF2 management will improve the raindrops effect in the future, maybe adding a specific shader for raindrops on visor and a better rain spray. I'm happy to have what we have just now. If really I could ask for something more I'd prefer to have the shaders working on gloves and better official gloves too, because gloves in cockpit view take up most of the screen.

Guimengo, Emery, Magus and 5 others like this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I have my rain drops set to low, might be why. What would happen if I turned them up to full?

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I said this in my review video. Might be something I've done wrong and isn't due to the mod in any way.

It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

FPS decreases, but not too much...

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

LINKS to manual download of build 2.01 are now available in first post

ede78 and Corti like this.
  9. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

try enable them on high and see? although from memory mine isn't even on the max settings for rain drops (i will try) but i still see quiet a few drops given the limitations of S397 implementation. which i find is more then enough really.

10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

@AMillward great video review, thank you.
    But I would remark that the development was and is a Slow Motion Modding Group development, where several actors participated in the years and each of us did it mainly for love! As I said several times our best reward is the interest and love for the mod by you users. Thank you.

ede78, deceda, elcoco and 3 others like this.
  11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Ah, so you're a group? Good thing I credited everyone individually then :p

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

It is an "open" group. In this scenario. referring to this specific mod, of course someone is more involved, like the "wizard of rFactor" Chris "redapg"... And we must not forget that I thought to this project because of I discovered that Markus "haunetal1990" was modeling the car (and modeled also the old GP3 of 2015): he was the first and main 3d modeler. During the trip, in these years of development, several mates got on board so I added each of them to the credits, build by build with their specific skills.
    Going to the first post and spending some free time to read the whole thread and also the original one (!), if you are interested, you will have a clear view of the whole development and also a lot of interesting details about the mod, the real car and the best approach to drive them.

ede78 and Guimengo like this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

When I credited the different people, I read it off the original post.

Thankful to everyone, even those who did the least amount of work.

Slow Motion and pkelly like this.
  14. Magus

Magus Registered

Just tried version 2.01 out and WOW!!
    Thank you to all involved, the cars look and feel great!

Just a cheeky question @Slow Motion , did you guys ever consider contacting McNolo &/or ASR to use the driver models (gloves & suit) that were 'adapted' from AC, or is the fact they were 'adapted' a no-go area for your team?

15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I hope into some involvement by S397 in producing newer and better quality items

16. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

During cornering, it happens that the Wheel gets very light suddenly - probably when reaching grip Limit somehow. Is this normal?
    BR

17. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Maybe it is because of the new tire model... with normal camber values they tend to heat too much on the outside.

Maybe the tire sidewalls are too soft or something like that...

That happens wigh all the cars that use CPM2 (enduracers, radical sr3...)

18. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Yeah, sounds like you're beginning to slide on the front end. The F2004 in Assetto Corsa is another good example.

19. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

It does not happen in the GT3 pack and honestly, it does not feel real. It would be very dangerous actually because you are at the edge of self-turn in of the wheels.
    Never drove a gp3 myself so far however...

20. iev35

iev35 Registered

Salut!
    What is the right steering wheel angle please?
    In the options,there is mentionned lot of things about that and I don't understand.
    So,520° or not?
    Thx.