Ferrari 156 'sharknose' WIP

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by websta, Mar 2, 2012.

1. anthing

anthing Registered

You mean that steering movement should act like in karting? That is possible with physics files but Im not sure how..

2. websta

websta Registered

Dont know about karting but you can see in the video what's wrong. In that last post is a picture of where the steering should pivot.
    I managed to get the mirrors working this morning, but have had no luck with the steering. I have moved pivots around in max, reset xform, re-exported, i've edited the .pm file, sometimes this has made not a spot of difference and other times it has totally messed up the rig. I'm beginning to lose interest. I enjoy modeling cos I dont waste any time. I enjoy figuring things out with the art/code pipeline but I'm not keen on spending days trying to figure out one small thing. Some updated documentation would be really useful, in fact I think i'm gonna wait now until there is. Time is something far more precious than money and I still have to work too so sadly against my will, i'm applying the brakes on this project.

3. Goat

Goat Registered

I am in the same boat, as far as time, but I am lacking skill. I would suggest that you get everything textured and visually ready so when the specifics are released in documentation it will be a few small steps to a finished car.

4. websta

websta Registered

Everything is mapped, there is a day left finishing the texture art which I will do last. Like i said, it doesn't take me long to model, unwrap and texture, but deciphering heiroglyphics takes too much time.
    I'm no Leonardo but I'm sure he enjoyed painting more than making frames.
    I will try to help others with their modelling and unwrap, but I have to stop wasting my time bumping around in the dark, it's soul destroying. Life's too short.

5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That steering problem seems to be PM related. Check your steering geometry.

6. websta

websta Registered

Its all checked x 12, Johannes, thanks for your reply. I have spent too much time with this.
    I have to detach myself from it otherwise it will devour my soul, it is beginning to affect my well being.
    I will check in now and then, I can help out with modelling, unwrap queries but I cannot continue this project any further without some clear and comprehensive documentation. Going for a walk this morning was the best thing i've done this month.

Goat, your mod looks good, although I would suggest some close up detail shots in your movie. If you have any queries about modeling, unwrap, just ask.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  7. websta

websta Registered

8. Rtsrcool

Rtsrcool Registered

..awww maaaaaaan, dear Websta, please make some kind of deal with yourself!!! :)

9. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Nice job! Did they ever make the car in red!?!

10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I think the nose is off; the real one is more round IIRC, and less pointy. :)

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

12. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Hmm, that's interesting. I've never really looked much into the car, but it seems there were several variants throughout the '61 season; including one(s) without the sharknose at all. I know continuous modification was prevalent in that era (and still, to some extent) but I didn't realise the 156 had so many variants. I've only ever seen the more rounded nose:

[​IMG]

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

so....ugly!! i want it!

Keep it up mate, its realy looking the part and can't wait to give it a go in the future :)

14. websta

websta Registered

Your'e not tellin me you've actually seen one?
    All were scrapped, only replica's remain. Photo's can be distorted, but yes I have noticed a slightly more rounded look on the earlier versions.
    Yes there were many varients.
    I was gonna eventually make another varient, but not until one is finished first.
    Right now I have not the time and getting all the steering axis/pm right has been a time waster headache I dont enjoy much.
    No promises.

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I guess I should say "from what I recall, the real one was more round" ;)

Shame Enzo was so tempermental. I'd have loved to be able to see a proper one and not a replica :(

16. websta

websta Registered

i dont know about a shark, but i've got a friend with a nose like this.

17. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

Hehe maybe he's part of the older generation here at ISI Forums?:p

Anyways the cutaway pic's looks ace, and just thinking of being able to drive on those skinny tyres whenever it's available with rF2's tyre-model makes my head all dizzy in comfort! Keep it up!:D

18. websta

websta Registered

It's got something to do with why I chose this car. That none remain. As far as I can find out, the reason was something to do with company policy at that time.

On a separate subject, going back some I mentioned I had some steering/susp woes, well I seem to have the susp working ok, but the steering is still not pivoting in the right place.

as you can see in the movie, the steering is not acting on the right pivot.

http://youtu.be/9EzPMqTHuf0

Below is an image describing the position of the pivots I have set in 3dsmax for tyre, rim, brake disk and spindle. Basically they are all in the exact same position, identicle to the spindle. Maybe this is not how it should be?

View attachment 1934

I am using the rtrainer code.
    Is the answer to my probs in the .pm file?
    it would be great if there was some clear info about this area.
    p.s. My cars paint looks awful since last update?

19. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Make sure ALL hub\suspension parts use that pivot, and double check the suspension.pm for proper placement on all those parts.

Looking good btw :).

20. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Don't know if it matters, but I centre the tyres pivot to object, then use that pivot point for all the suspension/brake parts.