Ferrari 156 'sharknose' WIP

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by websta, Mar 2, 2012.

1. websta

websta Registered

I've been working on this for a while, there's about 7-8 days in the modeling, unwrap and texturing of the car model, theres about 5-7 days in the planning, exporting/importing of .gmt's and .dds files and a few more in code editing and getting stuff to show up in the engine. Thanks to everybody here for helping bumpstart this, I would be lost without you.
    So now it moves and as you can see, it is only the start but not the finish. I have some suspension and steering woes you can see in the movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  2. anthing

anthing Registered

That steering wheel looks pretty hectic :D

Anyways, its looking good!

3. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Good? Are you blind sir? This look like... eh... :l just ugly.

4. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

it´s beta, isn´t it ? :) it´s on its way ... we are all learning - so, who knows how to solve the issues, give him some hints, please

5. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

He had posted a picture of the mesh a while ago, and 3d wise it looks good. Im more then positive that the textures are super wip, along with the materials. So give the guy a break, for this early stage its looking very promising.

PS: Theres an exquisite 1:18 diecast model made by exoto, it would make a great piece to have for ref.

6. Goat

Goat Registered

Websta,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    You should take a victory lap for how far your model has come.
    I know how hard it is working thru a new model and the responses to your success show that some here are just IDIOTS.
    Any way before I start a big fire again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Goat

7. websta

websta Registered

That is the low polycount steering wheel, it has no texture yet and I have not yet detached it's smoothing groups, same goes for the dash, it is WIP like the thread title says.
    I have entered the sine and cosine info into the cockpit.ini, for the rake angle of the steering wheel, but it still rotates incorrectly. I set the pivot in max to the centre of the wheel and 'world' before export. (this is how I set it for rF1)
    SteeringWheelAxis=(0.0, 0.259, 0.966)
    Other steering prob is that the wheels are not steering around their correct pivot, which results in the graphics pulling apart.
    The upper arm suspension seems connected (apart from the steering issue) at the right place and appears to actuate correctly, unlike the lower arms which appear to actuate but not in time with the spindle.
    The rear suspension arms, do not actuate at all. I will solve it, but only when i've found where I have to edit. anybody got any pointers?

this is the first time its seen the track.

thanks for your morale support anthing and GauchoRS.
    patryksok are you blind? it says WIP. : ) you are quite welcome and i'm sure you could be helpful, maybe give me some tips on how to make it look less ugly, obviously I cant change what ferrari designed.

Yes I used pics of one as reference, quite pricey to buy tho. thanks RMachucaA

Thanks Goat, yes lets keep fire in the chambers where it drives things along.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  8. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Yes beta, so look ugly atm in game, maybe in the future it will look good, but not now.

9. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

don't listen to patryksok.... I don't remember seeing him contribute anything to this forum in form of advice or modeling. he's just a troll who likes to fill threads with his nonsense. I would imagine that he really likes the sound of his own voice too. I suggest you put him on your ignore list like me and then you won't even have to see his drivel.

I've been following this since the start and Websta's modeling is top notch and his texturing is too... getting a model into this game is one thing but making it look good is another, since he just got over the hurdle of getting something on the track without the game crashing I'm sure that the model will show it's full potential very soon.

I for one think that this looks awesome.

[​IMG]

10. anthing

anthing Registered

It looks good as a WIP. I really know that theres much to improve with this model and I know the modding progress very well and I know it feels really good to show people what you have made.

If it needs positive or negative feedback there should be always appropriate way to say it out.

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Check out the damage.ini:

You have to assign different "DEBRIS" instance to each suspension set for each tire. Then you point those instances to your damage.ini. Make sure you don't have any other parts using same debris instances.

About the wheel, I looked the video and it is odd. Seems like the pivot is in the steering rod and it turn completely wrong way. You should maybe reset the pivot of the wheel completely, and do not align it to world.

1 person likes this.
  12. websta

websta Registered

Thanks Johannes, yes I will try that. Then I will need to get the steering arms and spring/dampers working, not to mention the brakehoses. It was the reason I chose an open wheel, to learn how the suspension system works in terms of graphics.
    Hey thanks m8, it's quite fun to drive too. rTrainer physics ATM tho. Thanks to Andreas E, courtesy of Krisidious communications, for getting this shed on the track in terms of tyres, this temporary edit at least allows me to continue developing 'on track', where I can see whats going on with the suspension and other realtime features.
    I would rather show when complete, this showing is for dev reasons.
    Thanks Kristof.
    patryk, c'mon be ok, I know you have vital knowledge/experience to offer the community.

13. websta

websta Registered

I fixed the rake angle of my steering wheel.
    although this thread may have worked, it was different for me. I entered the sine calculation in the third position and the cosine calc in the second position, now it rotates as it should.

14. websta

websta Registered

suspension links are now working.
    Anybody know how to move the drivers body and helmet?, mine is sitting too far back.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  15. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

lol. You dont remember I first told you to buy used NASCAR tire and model tgm from real tire? But no, you created new topics and asked for help, at last Tim told you same as I. Buy real tire. But I am troll? This is funny.

I'm looking at models from perspective end user, I'm not graphic artist, so when you putting ugly WIP here I will say its ugly not something like "wow, awesome" etc.

16. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

and the troll trolls on...

17. Caterham_Super_7

Caterham_Super_7 Registered

I agree that this looks the mutts nuts :cool:
    Cant wait to download this- beautifully done so far

18. websta

websta Registered

I've got the steering wheel and suspension sorted but have a problem with where the steering pivots (visible at the end of this movie)
    I also have a driver buried in the seat. Can I move the existing driver? or will I have to make my own whole rig and animate it?

19. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Are the pivots for the 3d model hubs\wheels\brakes the same as they are set in the suspension file? Make sure they are 100% exactly the same as in max. Also, double check that the wheels\hub pivot where they should in the rear life suspension.

20. websta

websta Registered

The pivots are all set to the same position as the pivot for the spindle ( where I want the steering to pivot ) like in this picture View attachment 1512
    I have tried editing the suspension.pm file by entering the pivots position from max, it does'nt seem to change anything.
    If I position the wheels or rims or brakedisk's centres to themselves (centre to object) they appear at the wrong position ingame.
    It seems that positioning things in rFactor can be difficult, I also have a driver position that needs altering which is looking more and more like I will have to make a full biped rig just for the arms/hands animation.