Ferrari 156 'sharknose' WIP

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by websta, Mar 2, 2012.

1. websta

websta Registered

Thankyou for your comments :)

Yes I figured that was a rule months back, I have been busy but now resuming where I left off.

yes it seems to work either way if the .pm has all the right places sorted the max pivots can be at either the tyre centre or at the spindle's steer pivot location, but all at the same position. It is still not 100% tho, In the .pm I have moved the outer locations of the suspensions a-frames to match the top and bottem locations of the spindles steering pivot. This seemed to help a lot, so I will try to set up the whole .pm before I mention it again, thanks Krisidious and Austin. I have started looking at the wiring of the dashboard today (its been a long time since RF1 but at least I have my old work to see what I did there)
    I have made the rev counter, and I have made the incrementation of one of the other clocks but not sure which one it is, I still dont have any images showing the other clocks, if anybody knows which clocks (and their locations) were used in this ferrari, I'de like to know.
    I only found this one image out there

View attachment 1971

BTW My cars paint still looks awful since build 69? joesville?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  2. websta

websta Registered

It's been some time since I last posted as I have been busy with other work, but when I have had the time I have at least installed the ongoing upgrades, copied core shaders and plugins across to my 3dsMax dir, re-exported all and checked to see what it all looks like. Build 69 things started to look a bit wrong with the reflections and a strange glow from below which illuminated the interior of the car where it should have been dark. Build 85 reflections and lighting improved but my glass seemed to have a reflection prob and the glow was still there. Build 90 looks great in the lighting and reflection areas really looking the part in terms of realism of colour saturation and yay the end of the 'glow from below' but my glass materials reflections still have a prob.
    View attachment 2865

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Try to play with Fresnel (available since 85).
    livery should reflect more light from high angle, less from low angle (90 degree between watching line and object face).
    It should result more reflection on top of the car and less on its side. So you should see for example sky reflected from top of the car. Your picture shows some kind of opposite result.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  4. websta

websta Registered

Thanks, I will try that, but my question was about the glass materials reflection which looks like it's jacobs technicolour dream windshield.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So, it seems ure continuing the shark! Very happy for this :D
    (a dream come true really)

6. websta

websta Registered

Thats very kind 1959nikos. I would like to continue but dont have a lot of time at the moment. On top of this I cannot find out what make the instruments are (if anybody knows, it would help a lot).
    Also it would be good to know which shader to use for windscreen as the one I was using is now not working for some reason.
    It was possible to view appearances in the showroom, but this seems to be a bit funky now so it has slowed the process and put a bit of a downer on progress.
    ISI have not posted in this thread, maybe they dont want Ferrari I don't know.
    Wish they'd say something tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

The instruments are Veglia (g is not pronounced), a famous Italian firm that made almost all italian cars and bikes instruments.
    (You can see their logo at the instrument photo at #41 post, u posted.)

None of my business but what ISI posting has anything to do with your work and progress?

P.S. The tacho is a classic Veglia for sure, Im not sure for the others (perhaps Olio pressure is a Jaegger? but I cannot see very well) as the shark youre modelling is a recent remake, I suppose you know that, dont you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yeah. Veglia is the brand for the RPM counter (in Italian CONTAGIRI PER COMPETIZIONE) wich is a classic Borletti Veglia:

[​IMG]

For the Oil pressure you've just a black background with values from 0 to 10 and the italian word for oil "OLIO" and manometer "MANOMETRO". :) I don't know the manufacturer...but I don't think it's veglia.

The other black instrument on the right side is the fuel level. Same stuff as before; black background, white values (from 0 to 6) and the word "BENZINA".

The left side instrument could be the speedmeter (from 0 to 120mph ??).

Here there're some nice pictures;

http://www.modellismo.net/forum/statico-reference/91393-ferrari-156-da-monza-storiche-2011-a.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pieterameye/5312803928/

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ferrari+sharknose#page=1

For open wheel windshields I'm using the CubeMapSpecularMapT1 (REFMAP0) / Src Alpha/Inv Src Alpha, with very low fresnel values...but you've to find your way for your own main texture.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Veglia Borletti it is :)

I had them in my MotoGuzzi Lemans :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  10. Tuttle

Eh eh...VB was almost everywhere, on both bikes and cars. :)

BTW as you're already said, the yellow Number 8 F156 in those pictures is a replica (as every F156SN you can see today)...so maybe some stuff has been changed.

11. websta

websta Registered

Images of the original are pretty scarce, so opted for the remake.
    I have finished the veglia tacho and half done the other gauges, but cannot see the brand logo or fuel gauge at all, I thought if anybody could recognise the brand logo then I could maybe find images of the fuel gauge, the rest of the water gauge and the logo itself. I dont think it's Jaegger, the font looks italic.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Cannot help, italics look familiar but i cannot recall.
    What I pointed is, as shark project is recent, if you try to contuct guys that made it, perhaps they would help.

Remember, sharks in existence, are just two : Chris Rea's car and the yellow one.

13. websta

websta Registered

Hmmm is it water temp or speedo.
    I think the three black clocks are all the same make, looks like something beginning with A
    I cant show you what I've done cos the glass is messed up, soon soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

No speedos on racing cars, no way.
    Because its a remake, it all comes down on availability.
    Try to contact guys who made the replicas.
    I think there is much info at the net, they seem to enjoy sharing, the yellow one that is.
    Keep trying and good luck! :)

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

My mistake. Tuttle knows so much more about these so I suppose it is a speedo.
    Havent seen them in racing cars though, but since this is a replica...

16. Tuttle

No mate. You're right.

It's a Water temp gauge...:)

1 person likes this.
  17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol :)

1 person likes this.
  18. websta

websta Registered

As I thought, water temp. thanks for the confirmation guys.
    I already saw the pic in Tuttle's link, of the dash from the opposite angle and, despite my poor Italian, figured benzina to be the fuel.
    I really need to figure the brand/logo to make things look proper.
    I've tried messing with the windscreen glass but all I get is invisible glass when I change to CubeMapSpecularMapT1.
    Of course I would'nt know if it was a bug or whether that particular shader is working properly due to the engine updates and it being in beta.

19. Tuttle

No bug here.

You need a windshield texture with the alpha channel. In the alpha you can put some dirt...and/or scratch...as you like. The darkest area of the alpha will be the glass part...so try to use values between 15/22 RGB for the transparency control. Use less transparency (just a bit) for the windshield edges...to fake a sort of internal reflection and to get more visible glass edges.

Export as DXT5 ARGB 8bit per pixel (interpolated alpha) to achieve a better transparency quality.

In your CubeMapSpecularMapT1 use Src Alpha/Inv Src Alpha as blend method and remember to write the name of your reflection mapper in the blank field (REFMAP0). Set a specular color and the specular value.

Load your texture for the diffuse and the specular (I'm using some scratch and dirty in both specular/diffuse and alpha channel..but you can use it as you like).

In the Cubemap stage you've to load the Cube map, set up the blend (i'm using 20/25%) and the fresnel reflection (I'm using Min 0.1, Max 0.8, Exp 4.8). Click on Live Mapper.

It should works...:)

20. websta

websta Registered

I tried and got a strange spotty windscreen. Thanks for your post, when I have more time I will try again.
    I got an error about my spec texture, had to uncheck render target to stop engine from crashing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012