F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

absolutely great thanks for this beautiful mod. when the other cars?

doddynco likes this.
  2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I've been working on some tools to help with the creation of the other cars. Aero is a big one - every one of about 120 parameters vary between every vehicle. The aero tool is complete, so now it's time to do some visual caparisons and research of how each variable should be entered relative to the benetton. E.g Lotus front wing rake drag is 1.08x more sensitive that the Benettons. - that is one parameter. I have over a 1000 of these to consider and enter, but my new tool will make this painless and quite quick, and easy to make changes to the whole grid if necessary.

Lots of shared components are simply copied, brakes, for example are either identical, or nearly identical for every vehicle.

So, now with the Benetton finished - the base car - not too long. All the graphical stuff is done and the cars are 'in game' just with the Benetton v1 physics.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

vava74 and doddynco like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

So, :), there should be a 1 or 2 hour cooldown to represent how long it took to swap out the Q engine for the Race/Practice engine(s)?

vava74 likes this.
  5. datasting

datasting Registered

6. trollray

trollray Registered

Very nice.
    Looks like an old comics called "Michel Vaillant". ;)

pascom likes this.
  7. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Goodyears were bias ply, Michelins, were radials, And i think Pirelli and Avon were biasply as well it was until 1984 i think that goodyear made a radial race tire

doddynco likes this.
  8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Just pop a cork in the wastegate and you're sorted.

davehenrie likes this.
  9. trollray

trollray Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....8-historical-edition-by-trollray.70961/page-8

Some pics of the last track of this collection and two of the 1988 cars.
    Could be released in a few days now.
    Both cars and tracks.
    We still have to discuss of how far we can (or want) to go with the 1988 cars but still the 1986 season first. ;)
    ANyway, i didn't want to let you stay with just some pics. It's not fair i think lol ;)
    And that could help for the wait of the 1986. (Now, with my work nearly done, i will be in the wait of my Friend @doddynco too. I will understand your patience now lol )
    Cheers

10. datasting

datasting Registered

11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Well it's been over two and a half years since I started this project, and today I'm ready to release the long over due second car of the 1986 season.

This car shares a variation of the BMW power plant in the Benetton B186, although the differentiating factor - being tilted 72 degrees on it's side in order to optimise the cars aerodynamics - was the cars major downfall. It could never quite achieve a decent race pace due to cooling problems and gear box issues, and was a project best forgotten by it's designers. However, it's futuristic low slung aesthetic was a noble attempt at a championship winning car, and it's unusual attributes suggest that with the right engine, this car could have had a damn good shot at the title.

In race trim, the BT55 is down around 100bhp when compared to the Benetton, but this difference is partially masked by the advantageous aerodynamics of the new car, and so it can keep up when conditions favour it.

For now, it's shares the same sound set as the Benetton BMW, but I plan on differentiating them once I've stopped tweaking the sound following the new sound engine update.

Please report any issues you find.

- New Car Added: Brabham BT55 v1.05 with full physics

- Benetton B186 updated to v1.05

- Converted wing settings multiplier from additive to subtractive - no physics changes but easier to work with multiple cars

- Improved aerodynamic variables related to ground effect and ride height.

- Small change to qually tyre degradation, increased grip and tyre starting temp.

- Fixed a few small errors in the tgm files

- Tweaked mid-low rpm engine sound

- Fixed exterior sound processing errors

- Added front and rear exterior engine sounds

- Tweaked tyre scrub/skid sounds - exterior missing

2.png 1.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  12. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

great ! thank you so much

doddynco likes this.
  13. datasting

datasting Registered

absolut incredible job!! the physics are masterpieces! Brabham is total diffrend to drive across from benetton.

365960_20230113121947_1.png 365960_20230113121700_1.png 365960_20230113113952_1.png

doddynco, pascom, JoeP1 and 3 others like this.
  14. svictor

svictor Registered

+1, one of the best physics handling formula mods, the cars feel so lively, thanks for the hard work!

15. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I know I can always rely on Datasting to make sure the cars are thoughly 'tested'. :) i'm not sure that's what Gordon Murray meant when he said the BT55 did not rely much on ground effect.

Thank you for the kind feedback guys - great to hear it's working as intended. I am really pleased with the character of the BT55 and how it turned out - it really only took a few days from start to finish. Before building the tool to help with creating 14 sets of aerodynamics, the job of creating 14 sets of completely independent physics seemed like an absolute mountain of a task. But now, with the tool, and the Benetton as a perfect datum car, it is possible to build a fully independent, high quality physics set, minus the engine creation, within a days work. Somthing that for me is very important and a huge relief after sinking such a huge amount of time into the first car.

Also I'd just like to mention that although you have been waiting on me for this 2nd release, trollray had already updated the graphics for all of the '86 cars over a year ago - they're sat here on my system waiting for the physics and sound to be created by myself. That graphical update was a huge amount of work in itself for him, so massive credit for that. I can't understate how much Trollray is an absolute pleasure to work with, and he has really helped me keep on track towards the goal.

I've just ran a little update this morning as I missed putting the updated tgm files into the mas. Nothing major.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Lars, buzz hornet, svictor and 7 others like this.
  16. datasting

datasting Registered

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It's a bit odd that two of the most famous designers/engineers, Gordon Murray & Jim Hall(Can-Am Chaparral) tried low profile aero packages and neither had the success they had been used to.

18. AKR

AKR Registered

Very nice car thanks.

Only issue as I have (but I have this with some other mods as well) is that I can only adjust both outside mirrors at the same time (shift/arrows), not right and left seperately (so cltr/arrows and alt/arrows doesn't do anything, besides shooting outloude "mirrors"). Therefor cannot adjust both mirrors correctly...

pascom and doddynco like this.
  19. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Very nice, you can really notice the difference between the two cars. Physics feel amazing, car (graphically) looks awesome. Top notch.

Lars, vava74 and doddynco like this.
  20. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi all of you !

FIrst, i want to thanks my friend @doddynco for his unbelievable work.
    I'm so proud to make a team with a such passionate and knowledged guy. ;)
    It's a thing to tell it, but, hey, when you are working on your part of the mod and you receive some vids or update from Doddy, sometimes i was happy to be sit. I would fall down of pleasure if not ;)
    Woww ;)

Anyway, after 3 years of work now, i'm so excited to tell you that the collection is growing big this morning.

Now, all 1988 is done now !

That means for majorite of the tracks are in 1988 version too.
    Silverstone and Suzuka are added.
    The other tracks are nearly the same but with some differences.
    I've started with basic stuffs like garage colors and some other details you would appreciate. More to come of course.
    But all of them have new AIW path dedicated to the 1988 cars.

BUT, why talking about tracks here man? (Could you say)
    First, because this is my thread and i do what i whant lollll ;)))
    ( Oh man, i need to stop coffe or at least, sleep now )

Nah, the 1988 complete cars rework from carrera4 is done now and you can find it here :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2909721948

Of course, the sounds are from the original version and i really hope one day Doddy will be so kind to touch it. ;)
    But he has alot to do already with the 1986 cars and i don't want to give him any pressure.

That said, the 1988 cars are in a v 1.0 and would of course progress.
    Feel free to send feedback and bugs.

I know some of them already but i thought it was a good idea to release it now because you are so exctatic with the 1986 cars and that will give you something to eat in the wait ;)

Last but not least, the physics of the 1988 cars are reworked in some places ( not deeply rework as Doddy) but i'm pretty happy that some of the behaviors like the spin effect on braking is very reduced.
    The balance of the cars is far better and all of them are of course different. (As it was already in the base mod but, needed some work )
    Pay attention that you still have to be using Heel and toe technique to control the torque on braking, but in a far more realistical way now.

I would like to thanks all of the people that helped me and all of you for your patience and support.
    Your nice pictures and vids are awesome and a pleasure to look at.

Special thanks to @svictor for his knowledge and @Paul Jeffrey for his kind words.
    Other names will be credited both in this forum and in steam, but i have to check forum history for this and as you could imagine, my night was short... lol I'll do it soon.

Cheers and happy driving 2023 !!