[WIP] F1 1982 League Edition - Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by EmperorOfFinland, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Cristiano Corraini

Cristiano Corraini Registered

Thanks for sharing your video! It is more clear for me how to pack the updates since then. I am not so familiar with the MAS tool, thanks for your help! The updates are working, now, I can simulate full race length without AI blow the engine in the middle of the race.

redapg likes this.
  2. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

The mod is not ready, i have not tested it with AI at all. the turbo engine is reliable as long as you keep it under 10500rpm on boost 6 the entire race. and im fairly certain AI is not sticking to it at the current moment. I think better option is probably to change the engine durability for AI in terms of turbo engines. I could however perhaps limit the AI engine RPM. and the thing is only the turbo engine should blow and not the NA engine for that.

Ofcourse if @redapg knows some values i can put it for next weeks update. i wont update it for this week but next wednesday

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland Thank you for your Trust in me. :)
    Unfortunately i can not help much with that, because i don't care much for AI.
    And for what @Cristiano Corraini wants to achieve, if i understand it right, you would need different Values for different Race Lengths.
    And i'm not sure, if there is a Possibility, to restrict the Engine RpM for the AI, at all.

Cristiano Corraini likes this.
  4. EmperorOfFinland

I could feasibly make ai specific upgrades for the engines so only ai has different physics for themself. but i need to do it in a way that human cant abuse them. since

LifetimeAvg=9200
    LifetimeVar=2100

Is atleast twice the required durability and since its league having 2100 second variation on enginelife is making it reliant on too random stuff. thats why the lifetime is 4500 and variation is 120 seconds.

Now i could get it working if i limit ai to around 10250-10500rpm at shift light

5. Cristiano Corraini

Cristiano Corraini Registered

Great news! This is just to make offline races more realistic with 82' F1 season as I am not competing on-line races this moment.

Maybe limiting the ai revs when shifting will solve this issue keeping the original lifetime values. It´s a matter to test and see how AI´s will behave in the full race.

Thanks @EmperorOfFinland for improving more and more this fantastic mod. Cheers!

6. EmperorOfFinland

So from now on each time it updates you can put the engine files in there. the trickiest part is that if i put your engine value in that means the engine will last full distance easily in the hands of a player so this means that currently you need to tweak the boost down. but ai is unable to do that so it runs max boost all the time and revs the engine too high and ends up blowing it up.

I will probably do a HE version with seperate physics after the league edition is done. or i will combine it to this mod so i dont have to duplicate the textures but only change the physics. as it should be fairly easy to add new vehicle files to the mod having those upgrades. and then they would run different upgrades on their own. meaning i would need only one upgrade file for each car and i can utilise current existing code for the cars.

the thing is that i would have to generate new versions of the engines with different curves. Currently the AI is shifting up at 11000rpm. if i find a way to reduce it i can have current durability and the ai would survive the entire race.

7. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i adjusted the

UpshiftAlgorithm=(0.925,0.0)
    DownshiftAlgorithm=(0.91,0.80,0.60)

This means AI will upshift at 10500rpm and downshift properly.

@Cristiano Corraini This should stop the ai from blowing up the engine. unfortunately i cant give the engine files too much variance on random time since its a league edition and since ai runs the same physics it means that if i make it random the player enginewear becomes random too and it means the engines might blow unfairly.

But with 10500rpm i think the ai can make the entire race without blowing up the engine.

i think there might be some outliers on the race still blowing the engines but commonly not.

The update will come next week for the mod if im not able to send it off this week. as its only ai update.

8. EmperorOfFinland

I rebalanced the turbo engine again and tweaked its enginelife.

BoostEffects=(0,0.02,0.253)
    LifetimeEngineRPM=(9000,450)
    LifetimeOilTemp=(110,4)
    LifetimeAvg=16350
    LifetimeVar=120

This gives the engine approximately full distance race durability. if you keep it below 10000-10500rpm and on boost 4-5 on average depending how you drive.

pkelly likes this.
  9. EmperorOfFinland

10. Corgan

Corgan Registered

EmperorOfFinland likes this.
  11. vava74

vava74 Registered

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 13.19.16.png

I noted last evening during the broadcast that the cars were not generating a shadow (see above).
    Can you check what is the reason for this? Perhaps something has to be toggled on in the cars' body-parts to cast shadows.

12. EmperorOfFinland

i can indeed. it should generate that to my memory. but if it does not that should be fairly easy to fix with a small update to the gen files of the cars. so i can probably get it done in 30mins to 60 mins if its that simple. and i think its not that hard to fix. '

it was like this.

MeshFile=<SHADOW> CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowObject=(Static, Solid, 256, 256, ZR_UNDERSHADOW.dds) LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(260.0)

i changed it to this

MeshFile=<SHADOW> CollTarget=False HATTarget=False Render=False ShadowCaster=(Dynamic, Solid, 1024, 1024) LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(200.0) Shadows.png

Does this suffice since i can do this and fix it within 30-60 mins and release the update?
    @vava74

ThomasJohansen, vava74 and pascom like this.
  13. vava74

vava74 Registered

I can't test it myself right now... but it looks good

14. EmperorOfFinland

I did fix the shadows and i fixed the basesetup by adding 2 clicks more rear antiroll bar and 1 click of front antiroll bar.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    bears, buzz hornet, pkelly and 3 others like this.
  15. KingTVB

KingTVB Registered

Hey EmperorOfFinland Great Mod but i have one problem the cars do noot have sound

can you help me ?

kind regards KingTVB

16. EmperorOfFinland

These cars use the new soundengine so this means that you need to check your audio values on the game itself since the legacy settings dont work for these cars

17. KingTVB

KingTVB Registered

How do i set that im kinda New to this

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  18. EmperorOfFinland

its on sound settings

[​IMG]

These are my settings and thats how the audio works on my end

makan likes this.
  19. EmperorOfFinland

I have updated the mod and the gearbox of the cars should be infinitely less annoying since it no longer fails to shift if you dont lift throttle enough. this choice was made to punish a failed upshift but i have dialed it back somewhat since it turned out that unless you drove the car for 1-2 days the driver would struggle with it, although the drivers who persisted through that mentioned that it really made you shift with more precision. I have dialled this back so it will still slip but its easier to get the clutch back from slipping.

I also added some bugfixes for some of the 3d models and so on. Now the last thing to do is to somehow remake the driveranimations and fix some of the bad 3d models at somepoint but that is mostly out of my capability due to lacking software and 3d modellingskill to do that effectively.

Would be nice to see the series driven on a championship at somepoint. Since the cars are tons of fun and drive really well now.

Duncan, makan and pkelly like this.
  20. Jaromir Bergmann

Jaromir Bergmann Registered

no engine sound for me (rF2 old GUI beta). does it clash w/ some other installed mod or something? no other solution than upgrading rF2 pls? thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023