[REL] F1 1979 HISTORIC EDITION 2.02 BY POSTIPATE

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Pauli Partanen, Jun 24, 2017.

1. vava74

vava74 Registered

Speaking of 1979 Formula 1, there is an old, but pretty good looking Zolder 79 mod which probably could be "easily" upgraded to today's standards... anyone knows if this has been done or can be done?
    It's only a 0.1 version, but from YT videos, it is very promising...

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/zolder-79.446/

2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Pauli Partanen, svictor and vava74 like this.
  3. vava74

vava74 Registered

Oh! Dang, that's great. When I saw your list of tracks I did not realise that the Zolder was a 1979 version. That's HUGE!

4. Mauro

Mauro Registered

5. philrob

philrob Registered

Just taking a further look at my previous version, see if its worth further updating

atomed, pkelly, svictor and 2 others like this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

If you need help with shaders i can run through on how to use the shaders approximately, if required.although i know the car shaders more but im sure svictor knows too how to use the Jsonmaterials instead of the old ones, its all about generating new textures and applying the IBL/PBR shader, its usually enough to bring the track 5-10 years ahead of time if the shaders are good

Just remember to ask me though as im quite busy with my own mods currently. although the json ibl/pbr shader is not that complicated ie i think the dev guide will tell about it.

ie around here https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/general-reference/pbr-a-guide-in-rfactor2

Rogger, svictor and Mauro like this.
  7. philrob

philrob Registered

E of F thank you for your kind offer, i am ok with the PBR shaders . I am adding them and changing textures. You are right about them taking years off the track.

svictor, bears and Mauro like this.
  8. Isamaru

Isamaru Registered

Hello everyone
    First of all:
    This is one of my favorite mods on Rfactor 2. I played the original on Rfactor 1 a lot and this version improves the overall quality of the mod.
    Just one little question.
    I prefer to use the t-cam, which was lot different in rfactor 1.
    Actually, if I press the "pos1" key on my keyboard, the t-cam is changed to my liking.
    So that cam setting is still in the game.
    Is there a possibility to chnage the settings or use the differnet t-cam view as the standrd view option?

Thanks a lot

9. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

I'm doing a full 1979 season right now against the AI. Could really use some advice. I've found these cars to be generally way to sensitive to steering input. I can't abide an oversteery car and a small twitch on the wheel turns the car way too fast. I'm absolutely useless with set ups, but the default set ups for Chief's f1 1967 and the 1975 mod are a joy for me, the steering input feel right. These cars I barely touch the wheel and the car turns.

I have mitigated this to make them drivable by turning off the "Vehicle Set" option and forced the full 1080 degrees of rotation available on my T300. I also reduced the preload on the diff to 20 and the cars on a green track are drivable although with AI setting at 100% I feel uncompetitive on many tracks.

Another issue though I am now encountering is the car feeling changing dramatically for the worse as the track rubbers in around 2/3 through my 20 min races. The oversteer in mid corner to exit kicks back in. This have been very obvious to me on tracks like Jarama and Dijon where some corners are almost impossible for me to keep the car from spinning out yet keep pace. I expect some change due to rubbering in but this seems way too dramatic and not evident to this degree with other mods.I could mitigate this by changing the rubber in time or tire wear acell (which I guess could also be the issue but I'm reluctant to do that as it adds a level of realism.

Is it just me, is there a set up change I can make to make these cars a little less oversteery and more pleasurable to drive for long periods? The thing is once, at place like Kylami 76, Zolder 79 and Long beach 79 I've really enjoyed the feeling of the cars, been able be competitive at the front of races, even Dijon for most of the race I was having a blast and on for a points finish before the car chrematistics changed so dramatically.

The mod is fabulous to look at, loved this period where every car looked different so much better than modern day F1. Any advice to help make the driving a little more fun would be much appreciated.

Edit: I just finished up Silverstone 88, qualified 26/27, no idea how to improve top end speed to prevent the AI from just blasting past me on Hangar Straight. Anyway despite this I battled up the field to 4th place pulling away. After about 8 laps the familiar oversteer kicks in, consistently spin off through over rotation at Becketts and the final chicane. Note this oversteer isn't attributed to getting on the gas too quickly as it's mid corner and I have totally lifted at the point of the oversteer. My lap times go from a consistent 1'21 to 1"23 on the occasions I can keep the car on the track and I end up finishing 18th :(

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

To slow your steering down, adjust your wheel slider so the straight line angled towards the upper right becomes a very shallow curve. The further to the right you move the slider, the slower the INITIAL response becomes.

11. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

Thanks for replying. I'm a little confused though as to what you mean. I think the issue is either a mod issue or a setup thing as I said in my post the steering responsiveness is not an issue with mods like Chief's 67 or the 1975 f1 mod, It's this one (although I have also noticed it in the 1972 mod too). There is no "slider" that I can find, only this below which shows the calibration (adjusting steering sensitivity seems to be what I need but from what I have read, no one recommends adjusting this from 100). Can you perhaps show me in a screen shot what Slider you are referring too and where to find it ?

upload_2023-3-16_21-12-18.png

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is what I get for relying on memory. They changed the calibration screens a while back. Clicking the left Arrow repeatedly will change the V shape on the steering graph to a flatter curve. That will slow down the initial steering, Comparing mods from different groups will highlight differences but that could very well be the intention. They want the cars to be super challenging. The most difficult for me these days is the 86 mod with Bennetton, Brabham, & Mclaren. Keeping the Turbo engine cars planted is a nightmare.
    If it is indeed a setup issue, you might want to look at the differential setting of a mod you like and then try and match that with the finicky one.

AfarNUFC likes this.
  13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

These cars have ground effect... they will be twitchy when they lose downforce.

Rui Santos likes this.
  14. EmperorOfFinland

I usually go for equal values on differential to avoid twitching. the steering on these should be fairly responsive anyways due to the stiff suspension they have.also you have to take into account that the car has a different downforce when its at speed and when its not due to groundeffect. so you might have good balance without groundeffect with wings but then ground effect breaks it or so on.

AfarNUFC likes this.
  15. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

Thanks for this, like I said in my post I've not wanted to touch the sensitivty setting as I read not to do that but it seems that that is not good advice in all instances.

16. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

Would ground effects be why I feel the mid corner oversteer as the tracks rubbers in or the tires wear ? If so how do you set up a car to account for this and mitigate it ?

17. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

Thanks for taking a look at this but I'm a set up dummy what do you mean my "equal values" on the diff ? Should Power and coast here be set to the same value ?

upload_2023-3-18_13-42-7.png

18. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah they should be. thats how i usually run my cars personally. so i can control the over and understeer with throttle application

Keep in mind the turbo cars might require offsets to the values so the full power power and idle coast are approximately same so it smooths out the turbo kick

buzz hornet and AfarNUFC like this.
  19. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

Thanks I'm going to try that, do you bring down the preload too or leave it that high ?

20. EmperorOfFinland

Based on the 1982 i keep preload at minimum so the powerdelivery is instant so its easier to drive on turbo cars i use max preload to smooth out turbo kick