[REL] Dundrod 1955 - Conversion from GPL (v2.0 updated)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by svictor, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Mine shows 2.60 in the track list.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

check for pending updates at the main or content menus

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

No pending updates. Updated September 27th. I'll keep checking.

4. svictor

svictor Registered

Could also try unsubscribe and resubscribe again, which should bypass the issue with workshop update desync issue, as it happened to me and other people a few times previously (last time there were some players couldn't get new targa florio updated until about a week delay).

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

If I set the wind speed to more than say 20 MPH are the balloons grounded? It’s just that I have an irrational hatred for the bloody things and would like a way to get rid of them :rolleyes:

jimagn and svictor like this.
  6. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for the feedback.

Everyone has preferences so it would be difficult to balance around. I'd imagine if the game could implement a "track upgrades" system similar to car upgrades it would greatly enhance experience & expend possibilities for modder. It would also be nice to see the game adding a random animation system(such as random start position, play speed, start sequence), as the current animation system has fixed animation starting state.

A possible workaround I could think for adding customization ability to the track could be using Circuit Details option (via VisGroups) to limit what objects player wants to see.

Currently this track has implemented three levels of Circuit Details (Low-Medium-High), which everything gets rendered on High or Full Circuit Details setting. What I could do is add balloon objects to Full VisGroups so that they will only show on Full Circuit Details setting.

The downside is that player with lower Circuit Details setting would not see balloons even if they wish to, and it may cause confusion for those unaware of this Circuit Details setting. But other than that, there isn't much option, other than making a track mas patch to remove balloon from SCN file.

Bostrom, atomed and Seven Smiles like this.
  7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Thanks for the detailed explanation, don't worry about weirdos like me, I've never been the same since the world suddenly went dark as I was racing round a track because a balloon went over a few feet above my head :eek: Once my heart rate returned to normal I was impressed that rF2's graphics modelled that detail.

jimagn, atomed, vava74 and 2 others like this.
  8. sushi

sushi Registered

It took some time, but now the new PC is here.
    For the first time I can see and drive Dundrod in best quality. I am absolutely fascinated and overwhelmed by the details. You have created a masterpiece. Thank you very much svictor.

svictor, pkelly, Superdevil and 4 others like this.
  9. svictor

svictor Registered

v2.70
    - More detailed lighting and translucent effect on all vegetation, especially when viewing against sunlight.
    - More track lights added near Leathemstown & Tornagrough.
    - Removed outer collision detection at Leathemstown Bridge & Quarterland corner entry. It is now safe to maneuver through hedge/shrub in case of missed braking.
    - Replaced outer hedge with shrub at Quarterland corner entry.
    - Improved AI path for new AI at Tornagrough & Hairpin.
    - Split terrain into smaller pieces to avoid exceeding max night light sources per object limit. Smoothed terrain normal seams.
    - Fixed a LOD value that causing a wall object popping at distance.
    - Fixed some floating grass and bushes.

new tree material viewing against sunlight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as usual, thanks for all comments & support, happy driving

Attached Files:

Legend, philrob, Superdevil and 26 others like this.
  10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Looking better and better.

pascom and svictor like this.
  11. Emery

Emery Registered

Gotta ask how you made the translucent effect? That's sweet!

12. AKR

AKR Registered

Better than original content.

13. svictor

svictor Registered

The prerequisites are:
    1. The object has to be self-rotating Billboard.
    2. Enable Billboard option in IBL shader. And MUST set Billboard type to Pointy.
    3. Enable Translucency option in IBL shader. Set Power value to 2 or 3 (usually 2).

And then the most important part:
    Create a proper Normal map texture that has enough 3D depth, this is the most important thing to make the translucent effect work. If it doesn't have enough 3D depth info, the foliage object will usually look pitch black and flat when viewing against sunlight.

The difficulty here is to create proper normal map. There are mainly two types of tree normal map generation methods:
    1. Almost all official tracks use 3D tree model assets which is then rendered into 2D with normal map (and other material maps) baked into 2D texture. This is the best approach and gives best 3D depth info. The only downside is that you will need to have those 3D tree models in order to generate them.
    2. For most old tracks and tracks using real life tree photo assets, the above approach is not possible. But instead the Normal map texture has to be created using some "texture to normal map" programs. However, not all normal map programs can create enough 3D depth info.

For example, normal map generated using GIMP's builtin filter would have very small and flat 3D depth, which is not enough. Some of the other free normal map programs I have used are AwesomeBump, Laigter, Materialize. Among those, Materialize gives me best tree 3d depth, as it creates height map which adds real 3d depth for used in normal map generation (there are many parameters, takes a lot trials to find suitable result).

how 3d depth looks in Materialize:
    [​IMG]

Link to those apps:
    https://github.com/kmkolasinski/AwesomeBump
    https://azagaya.itch.io/laigter
    http://www.boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/index.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    philrob, Superdevil, Corti and 9 others like this.
  14. jimagn

jimagn Registered

This is already the best track in sim racing, and you keep making it better!

8Ball, svictor, datasting and 4 others like this.
  15. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

if this track were a High Jump in Track & Field every other competitor will have to Pole Vault . . . really good work, mon

8Ball, svictor, Emery and 4 others like this.
  16. svictor

svictor Registered

v2.80
    - New scratch-made 3D animated seagulls. See this post for how the new 3D animation was made (in blender).
    - All balloons now only show at "Full" circuit detail setting. Player can set circuit detail to "High" to hide balloons. Note, there are no other differences between "High" & "Full" circuit detail setting for this track.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Art_Pereira, 8Ball, GeraArg and 23 others like this.
  17. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I'm going to be mighty peeved if I end up with a big 3D doodoo dropped on my car..:p:D

jimagn, pascom, svictor and 1 other person like this.
  18. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

You should not even be putting that up.
    Spoil a thread like this. lol what are you thinking ?
    So I will chime in shove it where it belongs in the dustbin.
    I would think Jim Pearson being the owner his permission needs seeking foremost.

ling likes this.
  19. svictor

svictor Registered

Hi @isamu ,

Thanks for the heads up. I have informed Jim about your question as well as the video links, and he had already commented a full response in one of the youtube links you have posted.

With Jim's permission, here is the quote of Jim's response from one of the youtube video:

philrob, jayarrbee36, jimagn and 8 others like this.
  20. isamu

isamu Registered

Thank you sir for the swift response. Much appreciated. I figured this was the case but wanted confirmation from you and possibly Jim before coming to any conclusions. I hope the author of this unauthorized version does the right thing and discontinues the sharing of the track to others in the community. As someone who's been anxiously waiting for an AC version of Dundrod, it's disappointing to finally see the track arrive at the sim in this manner.

Hopefully the other gentlemen Jim mentioned in that comment decides to proceed in the development of his version of Dundrod, with you guys' blessing of course.

Anyway keep up the good work on the rf2 version mate :)