[REL] Dundrod 1955 - Conversion from GPL (v2.0 updated)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by svictor, Dec 22, 2021.

1. svictor

svictor Registered

Dundrod_1955_loading.jpg
    Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2689976111

DUNDROD, NORTHERN IRELAND

Extract from the original GPL Readme by Jim Pearson:
    "7.5 miles of public country roads west of Belfast, closed for race meetings. Narrow, bumpy, blind apexes, sudden dips and drop offs, roadside ditches. Very fast and very dangerous.

A circuit which hosted several rounds of the World Long Distance Sports Car Championship and the British TT in the 1950's, with works entries from Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes, Porsche and M.G.

Stirling Moss won the 1955 race in a Mercedes 300SLR from Juan Fangio and Wolfgang von Tripps. However tragedy struck during that race with two separate fatal accidents before Cochranstown and at Tournagrough, in which three drivers died. Road racing in sports cars was subsequently abandoned at Dundrod, but the bikes and sidecars continued to race and still do so twice a year in the Ulster Grand Prix and Dundrod 150."

Build History

This full length "Dundrod 1955" was built by Jim Pearson entirely from scratch and released by him for the simulation Grand Prix Legends [ GPL ] in April 2021. It follows a much earlier version which modeled the slightly different 1965 track layout.

Jim's original release files are located here;
    http://jrpearson.homestead.com/DundrodDownloads.html

The full release thread & video for GPL is located here;
    http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=14111

Conversion Credits

Converted to rF2 by S.Victor(Xiang).

I approached Jim in November 2020 and agreed to the same conditions set out in his other track "37¾ Mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course" Readme PDF [http://jrpearson.homestead.com/37MileIOMMCRelease.html]. He then gave me written permission to convert his track to rF2.

Amongst these conditions were assurances that the permission being granted would be limited to rF2 in this case and that no income would be derived or sought for the conversion.

A sincerely thanks to Jim, who has been providing valuable suggestions and extensive assistance on various tasks throughout the development of this conversion.

Jim Pearson's Comments:
    "Following Xiang's successful conversion of my Isle Of Man Mountain Course track for rF2, I was pleased to see him tackle this task. He has put a vast amount of work into the conversion; then added considerably more 3D detail into the surrounding countryside, for added immersion. Some of this you may only see in high TV cam views!
    His work is of a high standard and deserves the gratitude of the rF2 community."

Enjoy

Jim Pearson & Xiang

December 2021

Track Info

- Length: 12.146 km / 7.547 Miles
    - Max vehicles: 60
    - Pit spots: 30
    - Starting lights sequence: 6
    - Default race length: 84 laps / 625 miles
    - Default race start time: 10:30AM

Layout Configurations

- Dundrod 1955 TT (Historic "Le Mans" Grid)

The Tourist Trophy layout with historic "Le Mans" style starting grid for maximum authentic experience.

- 24 Hours of Dundrod (Le Mans Grid)

Same as Tourist Trophy layout with additional track lights for extra endurance immersion.

- Dundrod 1955 GP (Modern Grid)
    The Grand Prix layout with modern style starting grids.

- Dundrod 1955 GP Reverse (Modern Grid)
    The Grand Prix Reverse layout features a lot of high speed up & down hill corners, which is even more exciting and challenging with a different view angle at the vast open countryside.

Other Features

- 0.8-0.9m Realroad density & 2% Crossfall with varied bumps
    - 20km² full surrounding terrain & scenery vegetation
    - IBL shaders & PBR materials
    - 4 rubbered Realroad presets for each layout
    - 2 tracking & 1 static trackside camera groups
    - Birds, Planes, Balloons, Rainbow

Track Notes

Performance:
    The track includes several "Circuit Detail" settings to help with performance.
    - At High or Full setting, everything gets rendered.
    - At Medium setting, additional road side 3D grass is not rendered.
    - At Low setting, additional terrain trees, distant buildings, and all 3D grass are not rendered.

Historical start grid:
    The Tourist Trophy layout uses old Le Mans style start grid to better simulate the historical real life races. That means every vehicle lines up along the pit lane wall in an angled parking attitude for a standing start.
    Several flagmen will wave Green Flag at race start. A six sequenced beeping sound effects will also be played to help drivers determine the moment of Green Flag.

Pitstop:
    The track has 60 garage spots, and 30 pit spots shared per 2 vehicles. Drivers must "request pit" before making a pit stop, similar to other historical tracks. There is no pit lane speed limit. Be careful and do not approach the Pits too fast.
    Pit lane begins at the first pit stall, and ends at the last pit stall.

Tornagrough Hairpin:
    Be aware that certain low steering lock cars may not be able to handle the tightest Hairpin at Tornagrough Road. Exercise extra caution and practice the wide approach, full steering lock turning which is required to pass through there safely. The AI Waypoint is optimized for the majority of cars at the Hairpin, but may not stop some low steering lock cars from jamming the corner.

Warning for players with visual sensitivities:
    This track has a large number of tree shadows driven through at high speed. While this is realistic, it does cause a "strobing" effect in some sections, that may not be suitable for players with visual sensitivities. If that is a concern for you, try disabling shadows from options, or avoid playing the track.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  2. philrob

philrob Registered

Xiang,
    thank you for this great track, ime off to drive it now.
    And of course Jim the creator.
    best wishes

vava74, Corti, atomed and 1 other person like this.
  3. Corti

Corti Registered

Another work of art. Thank you for the great effort that you wear these great tracks to rFactor 2 with the information that modders have at your disposal.
    Many thx my friend...again.
    Corti. ;)

pkelly, GertjanD, bears and 3 others like this.
  4. atomed

atomed Member

I love the full wet track preset. Thank you so much for sharing this, can´t wait to get out from work.

svictor, vava74 and Corti like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Going to shovel snow, THEN I'm going for a jaunt around Belfast!

svictor, vava74, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  6. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Amazing!
    Thank you!

svictor, vava74 and Corti like this.
  7. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Thank you!

svictor, Corti and vava74 like this.
  8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Many thanks svictor for this glad christmas present

I loved the track in gpl and i'm very happy to have this jewell on rf2 too

Your passion is extraordinary

Rogger, vava74, Johnny Speed and 3 others like this.
  9. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

This track is the end-of-the-year-highlight. Such a pleasure to drive. Hard to keep the eyes on the track because of the beautiful landscape. Performance ot the whole track is top. Very well done, Sir

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2021
    Rogger, vava74, Johnny Speed and 5 others like this.
  10. Rastas

Rastas Registered

So awesome,one more time very thanks for all the hard work guys :)

Rogger, vava74, Johnny Speed and 2 others like this.
  11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thank you svictor
    Wow, you done it again. Great work. The attention to detail is very high.

Jim Pearson's Comments:
    "Following Xiang's successful conversion of my Isle Of Man Mountain Course track for rF2, I was pleased to see him tackle this task. He has put a vast amount of work into the conversion; then added considerably more 3D detail into the surrounding countryside, for added immersion. Some of this you may only see in high TV cam views!
    His work is of a high standard and deserves the gratitude of the rF2 community."

^^ I agree with these words ^^

Thank you

Rogger, marmagas, vava74 and 6 others like this.
  12. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

I ran a few laps in the Eve F2...dude, you totally rock and again thank you for putting your talent to work for us. It is track makers and modders like you that keep this game alive. There is no comparison. Thank you.

Rogger, pkelly, vava74 and 2 others like this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Big Grin on my Face. Took the 75 F1 cars and for some idiotic reason chose a full rain weather setting. Boy the AI were not happy with that. But despite their spinning, a-lot, it was huge fun. Wonderful track. Thanks...
    (now if we can get a 60's version of Road America, Watkins Glen, Sears, etc etc. ) PS, thanks for making the haybales moveable!

Rogger, Hazi, vava74 and 2 others like this.
  14. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

Thank You!

vava74 and svictor like this.
  15. bears

bears Registered

Mate you are amazing the skill you have and your willingness to share both your creations and your knowledge with the community is very unique indeed. RF2 is so lucky to have you creating wonderful quality content.
    Thanks again!

Rogger, Eric Rowland, Xzanman and 6 others like this.
  16. Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne Registered

Thanks you!

svictor and vava74 like this.
  17. pkelly

pkelly Registered

What a wonderful surprise, Xiang:) Your skills you share with us continue to amaze and amuse me. I'm addicted to driving your works of art. Merci and Happy, Safe Holidays.

Rogger, Eric Rowland and svictor like this.
  18. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for all the comments.

Just updated a quick fix for bush wall that has black edge issue when near headlights during night (related to mesh normal). Sorry for any inconvenience.

And have a nice Holidays!

20211223173002_1.jpg

Danny Wilde, pascom, Bostrom and 13 others like this.
  19. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

Outstanding version! Thank you very much and thanks to Jim Pearson for his permission!!

Corti, svictor and Claudio Navonne like this.
  20. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Excellent work! Thank you so much for this man! Can't wait to give it a download and a few laps, much appreciated :) !

delapecs, bears, svictor and 3 others like this.