Do you play RF1 on-line or offline more ? ( poll)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Jul 31, 2012.

?

Online v Offline ( Multiple choice)

1. I ONLY , race online

43 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. I MOSTLY , Race online

47 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. I ONLY , Race offline

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. I MOSTLY , Race offline

48 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Offline AI and basic single player does not affect if I buy a sim or not I am 100% happy without it.

20 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I would only buy a driving Simulator that has AI as an option

40 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I'm driving mostly online with rFactor2(after trying the physics/ffb i can't drive rF1 anymore!)but in this period it difficult to find good servers online so sometimes i enjoy to make hot-laps to improve and learn the tracks!

2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I had to say Simbins' Ai (Gmotor 2, anyway). Rfactor AI does crash intentionally.

3. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

In over twenty years of sim racing, the most memorable moments have been online, yet the "on tap" race when I want entertainment has come almost exclusively offline indispersed with some great ad-hoc vroc moments and unplanned drop in iRacing races that just worked.

Having a supply of decent competent opponents at a pace similar to mine is hard to find online. Throw in the desire to race a particular series and the chances drop further. Outside of a hardcore of racers who can race online when they choose, the more typical sim racer is limited to trying to find opponents at times to suit them.

We haven't really seen serious development in AI for close to a decade. Multiplayer was the future and AI was secondary (LFS, ISI engined sims) or not included at all (NKPro, iRacing). That is to change. rFactor2, Assetto Corsa, GTR3 and Project CARS will all have AI in new sims coming out. There is a recognition that multiplayer is a niche even amongst the most serious sims.

The WIP AI in rF2 and CARS is significantly more competitive, competent and fun to race against than an online race that contains poor, inexperience, bad attitude and a wide variety of skill level humans.

iRacing does a pretty good job of organising online racers but even that can't magic up enough racers across the series yet alone at times to suit everyone.

In my view if sim racing is to grow and gain the funding to develop at the pace we want then developing high quality and intelligent AI is going to be essential and with the time and effort devoted to it (rather than a secondary add on) then it will provide a serious sim racing experience.