Do you play RF1 on-line or offline more ? ( poll)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Jul 31, 2012.

?

Online v Offline ( Multiple choice)

1. I ONLY , race online

43 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. I MOSTLY , Race online

47 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. I ONLY , Race offline

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. I MOSTLY , Race offline

48 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Offline AI and basic single player does not affect if I buy a sim or not I am 100% happy without it.

20 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I would only buy a driving Simulator that has AI as an option

40 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Is that what this poll is about?,getting rid of AI, i for one enjoy racing with AI, if you don't, don't,simple.

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I enjoy the AI also.

It's an rF1 poll anyway. Should be in the rF1 forum.

3. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

James says it's for both rF1 & 2

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's not what the title of the thread says :)

It specifically mentions rF1 only so...... :p

5. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Yes i agree with you buddhatree, but see post #12

6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

To the contrary although I hate AI and probably spend less than 0.5% of play time with AI , Its interesting to look at peoples play habits.

Personally I would not have AI but develop an i racing type system if I was working on a Simulator , but at the same time a basic AI system is probably only 5-8 months work for a talented single coder , where as an on-line system requires constant maintainece and a small team of coders and designers.

7. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

point 3 not completly valid for rF2 ;) I have had the AI defend both on me and other AI's (maybe not as agressive as a human player though). For me, I like both offline and online. Online is indeed more unpredictible, but not always better. That is mainly the case on public races. You will on many occasions find the oposition to be too agressive when overtaking or blocking. While this are human behind the wheel, it still isn't 'real'. People behind their pc can't die from a wrong move, and that is sometimes clearly noticable. You will find that way less with the AI.

So to sum things up, in my opinion both online and offline has its con's and pro's, thus I like it both.

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

There's another point: AIs doesn't quit the server after few laps because they're not fast enough nor crash onto you intentionally either.

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm not perfectly sure about last part, sometimes I have had feeling similar to movie Duel :rolleyes:

10. TheAngryGimp

TheAngryGimp Registered

My biggest problem with AI is when the physics for the AI is too obviously fudged to make up for lack of a good AIW file or AI behavior. An example of this would be sometimes I would brake at threshold very well, only to see the AI braking waaaay later into the corner, no smoke, no lockup, and then suddenly crawl around the corner as if it suddenly lost half its unnatural grip an instant later. Its times like these that make it so obvious that the AI in those cases are not following the same physics that the player is, and that they have an artificial amount of grip (can be changed in the files, I know, but still, breaks the illusion of competition badly). Lately in RF2beta though, I have had a great time racing AI on the tracks that the AIW files were good on, and have noticed worlds of improvement over RF1 already. I did some I-racing, but found the service too expensive just to run a season of a car I liked (over $150 in tracks and cars just for a season I like on top of the service fee?? ouch..). I do have netkartpro, but only cause of the trenton track (i'm a rally fan, and that run is awesome!), just wish it had AI, as I'm not a stig like some of you really hardcore guys, hehe.

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Assetto Corsa the next game from kunos the people that made NKP is having AI and likely a basic offline champ mode , it will be interesting to see if this has a large impact on there sales.

12. doug484

doug484 Registered

iRacing has soured my opinion of racing on-line. I did participate in a league for a while at iRacing, and generally enjoyed it. My main problem was keeping up with the schedule.

The AI aren't nearly as aggressive as a real person, so you don't get the same satisfaction if you beat them.

For rF2 I am only interested in off-line racing. If I didn't have to work (if I win the lottery, or something), then maybe a league .

13. TheAngryGimp

TheAngryGimp Registered

I've been following some of the updates, and man does Corsa look good, and given the greatness of the FFB in Netkart, I will be picking up Corsa, cause I know it will have fantastic physics and FFB. This and next year are shaping up to have a absurd amount of racing sim content, and I love it! RF2, PCARS, Assetto Corsa, GTR3, etc... geez, where will i find the time!

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I also tried iRacing and was turned off by the costs involved as well. I like racing against people I know, but the few times I've gone into a public room, everyone joins with 5 min. left in practice or during qualifying, and nobody says a thing.

I race offline mostly because a.) I just like to drive, and I don't see the point in going through all the rigamorole of getting in a session, and trying to match times with the AI is plenty enough of a challenge for me; and b.) I don't want to be slave to a schedule for a hobby (ergo, no League racing for me)--I just want to race when I have time, I don't want to have to clear 3-5PM every Sunday--and everyone knows how unreliable the public racing seems to be. It's not that I don't have 2 hours or so to race each week, I just don't have a specific 2 hours that I'll be available from week to week.

15. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Not easy for me to answer correct. We are in the rf2 Subforum, but the poll ask for rf1.

In rf1 i'm playing mostly online, and it should be the same with rf2.

But as long as i compelled to install countless unwanted mods, just to play online, i will prefer offline for rf2.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

You bring up a good point.

If I still would have faster connection that I had really long time ago, that very same reason that you mentioned would make me choose offline over online.

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I would like to do more league racing but most are not in my time zone (Eastern U.S), but I just discovered efnet Historix league and also version 1.95 of their rf1 mod so I should be happy for awhile! Anyone know any other good North American leagues? I am interested and everything BUT open wheel, although I do love 1960s rF2 open wheel.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How sad that you need to hate something you don't need to even use. :confused: lol

I hate:rolleyes: these monstrous threads. lol

19. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Not really , Lots of people hate food they don't like and as a result they don't eat it.

Its also perfectly reasonable to still be interested and talk about things you personally dislike or don't use.

In fact I made what I believe to be quite a clear post as to why I dislike AI and reasons as to why AI has issues for allot of people and why its totally fine for other people.

"To the contrary although I hate AI and probably spend less than 0.5% of play time with AI , Its interesting to look at peoples play habits. "

Was my actual quite its quite strange for you to isolate what I said to then make a weird argument against it.

If you don't like a thread then don't take part in it , or say why you dislike the thread. I'm sure if anyone makes a thread that's useless and allot of people pointed that out in a clear way then a mod would delete it. By writing your comment you bump the thread up making it more popular

20. monkeysout

monkeysout Registered

Many good points on here, i would summarise as ...

1. Most agree good human drivers are more fun to race against than AI. However that doesn't hold true when servers can have many bad drivers (learning or on purpose) and it also doesn't help people when they have internet issues (temporary or permanent like mine).

2. It has already been mentioned that people like me need offline/ai to practice and compare before we get let loose on the servers and wreck other peoples races.

These 2 ponits (IMO) re-enforce each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012