Dedi not visible in Steam server browser (client within the same LAN)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by gornes, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I think yes, just make sure the http ports are unique, and each a number from 27013 to 27018.

2. Yotan

Yotan Registered

Could you try this command ?

["C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe" +connect1]
    (The number after the "+connect" can be anything, but do not put a space in between please.)

You will see old server list in the game.

I have same problem when I use port number "64297".
    My server is shown now in LAN section of lancher when I use port numbers "27013 to 27018".
    But it is not shown in WAN section.

I want to see my server in lancher's WAN section.

People who do not know the command can not find my server. (In the case of Steam version)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  3. Yotan

Yotan Registered

I knew a while ago that my server is displayed in other people's launcher.

it seems program spec that the server is not displayed in WAN section of server administorator's launcher on same LAN.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
  4. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

You must start the Launcher.exe not the Game.exe. In your Game Folder you have the following:

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe"

and for this you create a new Shortcut and add this:

+connect 192.168.0.1:64297 +Password

here ist 192.168.0.1 your PC and 64297 the HTTP Port in your JSON File. The Password must not be set.

After you can connect to your Server although you cannot see it in the Serverbrowser. Your Friends see the Server in the Serverbrowser

5. Yotan

Yotan Registered

My server is displayed in both of launcher and old server list after ports changed :) It is a solution for me. Thank you.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

We are having the same problem except that we are not using LAN but a regular dedi server.

What is weird is that we have two exact servers setups except for the ports and one of them having weight penalties applied.

They are both visible in non steam matchmaker but only one of them shows in steam matchmaker. The one with penalties applied.

I have forced both servers to be identical by copying the working one on the invisible one without success.

They both start with RaceRfactor BTCC.

It should be about time that this issue gets definitely solved. 2 builds old already.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Each server needs five ports open now 2 extra ports for steam to see the server. default is
    UDP+TCP 54297
    TCP 64297
    UDP 64298
    UDP 64299

The last 2 UDP ports can't be set anywhere, or at least I couldn't find it. they use the next 2 ports automatically from the TCP port set. (thats what I worked out trying to get my servers working) Because the TCP is 64297 automatically it wants to use 64298 & 64299, These 2 ports are what is needed for steam to see the servers. (make sure you have no conflicts.)
    Try setting your 2nd server with these ports and it should work for you. Make sure all ports have firewall exceptions
    UDP+TCP 54397
    TCP 64397
    UDP 64398
    UDP 64399

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
  8. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks for the clue
    I was using consecutive ports. I lowered the faulty by 100 in both ports of the multiplayer.json and now it is working.

However it is very weird that the game uses ports that are not visible in the multiplayer. I would expect AT LEAST a sidenote by the port lines in the multiplayer.json advising about this situation.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

9. Depco

Depco Registered

Well I had a massive crash of my server and had to replace the Hard drive. I am now having this exact issue again after a reinstall of the OS. The only difference is that I am using the SteamCMD dedicated server rather than using the Lite build. Prior to the crash I had 3 stable rF2 instances running on the server through the Lite Build. I am frustrated beyond belief.

I can see the server when using a third party server listing like https://world.rfactor.net/server-list (search for VSCR) but when I search on the steam matchmaker the server simply wont show. I have opened the ports the steam client uses for their announcer through my router and also added exceptions in the servers firewall. But after checking open ports it appears the ports are still not open to the internet.

I am using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. It has the most current firmware update. Server is running on Windows 10. Server is also running a Teamspeak server without problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS I have had similar issues setting up steam based servers and it seems that SteamCMD based servers are inherently problematic.

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

This is STILL happening. Non-Steam servers invisible for Steam users, whilst non-Steam users can access it fine.

Any idea if this bug will be fixed any time soon?

11. Depco

Depco Registered

So should I go back to using lite build dedicated server instead of the SteamCMD server option?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  12. Depco

Depco Registered

I have opened all the ports as described above (including the two ports following the listed HTTP port to allow steam clients to see the server). However, when I do a port check the service I am using, http://www.canyouseeme.org/ simply can not see those two ports as open.

I have tried on 3 different Sim and HTTP port configurations.

Server 1

Sim: 54297 (TCP/UDP) - open
    HTTP: 64297 (TCP) - open
    Steam: 64298 (UDP) - Not open or visible even though the ports have been opened in the router.
    Steam: 64299 (UDP) - Not open or visible even though the ports have been opened in the router.

Server 2

Sim: 54347 (TCP/UDP)- open
    HTTP: 64397 (TCP/UDP)- open
    Steam: 64398-64399 (TCP/UDP) - Not open

Server 3

Sim: 54447 - open
    HTTP: 27016 - open
    Steam: 27017-27018 - Not open

So the only ports that are not opening are the Steam ports. Do I need steam to try and connect to the server or something. I am lost and getting more frustrated with every passing day this isn't resolved.

For what its worth all these settings worked before the crash... so maybe the problem is in the OS? Also I am using SteamCMD dedicated server.... that might be an issue as well.

Some guidance would be great here as I am the one providing servers for our league.

13. Christopher Elliott

Are others outside able to see your server in Steam matchmaker?

14. Depco

Depco Registered

nope.

15. Depco

Depco Registered

I uninstalled the SteamCMD installation of rF2 and reinstalled the lite build. Lo and behold the server worked just like it did before... I'm not going to bag on Steam because I like it but I think the installation was borked. THanks for those of you who tried to assist me. I just hope ISI continues to make lite builds for the server operators out there like me.

16. Christopher Elliott

Hmm it should work, so it might be good to find the cause now, because we won't be offering "Lite" builds anymore, from now on updates will be Steam only.

Be glad to help you further :)

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, this is a problem with Steam matchmaker itself (which rF2 Steam version uses), so you might be able to get better support from Valve/Steam. It's the same thing as when you open Steam, go to View menu and Servers, your server won't be visible there either.

It first happened when I tried to host with my mobile 3G network and also happened on my wired connection until I bypassed the router by switching it to bridged mode. I suspect some providers are blocking access to host Steam games, so sometimes it's not enough to open your own ports, you might have to call your provider to fix it.

18. Depco

Depco Registered

I had a similar issue when I initially installed my rF2 dedicated server. I contacted my provider, Time Warner Cable, and was told they don't block access to any ports. Also I think it would be difficult for the provider to block the ports being used for Steam access to rF2 dedicated servers when they can be so widely spread across numerous ports.

I agree it is likely a problem on Steam's end. But I don't really think this an issue for me to figure out. I think this an issue that ISI needs to figure out before they stop lite build access. They are the ones who made the jump to steam. I agree with the move to steam but it should not be on the shoulders of the server administrators to figure out how to get steam to see their servers. rF2 online will suffer even more than it already does, leagues are the only active online participants now, if servers are not listed in the steam matchmaker.

Chris, thanks for your offer to help figure this out. I will probably re-install the SteamCMD installation and see what differences there are in file structure if I have time later this week.

19. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Same problem here, Server is not showing on steam, the worst is that i started the server from the rfactor launcher in steam version.

I did the same tests that Depco did. I will let the server started for the next days, so you could see the problem...

https://world.rfactor.net/server-list - Uses the http port, search for the key "[RW]", you will see the server
    http://servers.proracing.club/ - Uses the steam ports, search for the key "[RW]", you will NOT see the server
    http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ - Port Forwarding test: 64298 / 64299 - Port is "closed", because steam is not listening.

[​IMG]

So, to confirm if my port fowarding is correct, i started a python http server on ports 64298 / 64299, and the port forwarding test has passed.

[​IMG]

There's a obvious problem between rfactor2 dedicated and steam.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  20. negb

negb Registered

Make sure all ports below have been forwarded in your router.
    SERVER 1
    UDP+TCP 54297
    TCP 64297
    UDP 64298
    UDP 64299
    Create shortcut with this as target "c:\rfactor2-dedicated\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +trace=3 +oneclick +profile="player" +maxplayers 45 +connect 192.168.0.2:64297

SERVER 2
    UDP+TCP 54397
    TCP 64397
    UDP 64398
    UDP 64399
    Create shortcut with this as target "c:\rfactor2-dedicated\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +trace=3 +oneclick +profile="player" +maxplayers 45 +connect 192.168.0.2:64397

Now launch servers and both show in the steam server list.