Dedi not visible in Steam server browser (client within the same LAN)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by gornes, Apr 15, 2016.

1. gornes

gornes Registered

Like in the title, for some reason the dedicated servers I have running on a PC within the same LAN normally show in the in-game server browser but not in the Steam one.
    Since today, with the new build 1080, the steam browser is in the launcher, so I can't see them there and basically am unable to enter them.
    If I connect my client PC from outside my LAN with different external IP (via mobile hot-spot), they then appear in the Steam server browser.
    Would appreciate advice on how to deal with it, and also, is it possible do disable the Steam browser in launcher so that I could use the in-game browser?

2. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Same with my own hosted game - reported in the "Build 1080 Available!" thread but adding here for completeness.

I can't see my own hosted game - either on the game's UI, or on View -> Servers - but non-Steam clients can both view and join my hosted server without issue.

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I re-tested this last night and I can see my own server in the Steam Match Maker, so it may be a firewall issue you're having,

Couple of questions:

Are you using the default ports in your Muliplayer.JSON?

"HTTP Server Port":64297
    "Simulation Port":54297

Then did you open these additional ports on your router?

UDP+TCP 54297
    TCP 64297
    UDP 64298
    UDP 64299

Also can you tell me which dedicated server you're running? Is this via your Steam client or did you use SteamCMD

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

So are you saying there are new ports that need to ne opened with build 1080 compared to the earlier build?

Everything worked fine in the last build, but now I can't see our league server when it's definitely online. I haven't changed anything since the update.

I'm using rf2 from Steam.

5. gornes

gornes Registered

Hi Christopher,

I am running two separate servers installed via SteamCMD (two separate installations). I've opened a number of ports in a way that I am able to run those two separate servers.
    Of course, all externally connecting drivers have no issues when entering the servers and always see them in the Steam browser or in the in-game browser, and it's only me not being able to see them in the Steam one (so now also in the launcher since my client is a steam version). Have had this since I started hosting (about few months), but because I could still see and enter them from the in-game browser, I just didn't care.

Here is how ports are mapped in my router.

[​IMG]

Multiplayer.JSON:

Server1:
    HTTP Server Port: 64297
    Simulation Port: 54297

Server2:
    HTTP Server Port: 64300
    Simulation Port: 54298

In Firewall:

[​IMG]

Thanks for the support

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
  6. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Same problem here, some of our servers don't appear in the new steam browser but non steam users can see them fine.

Issue is the new Steam browser not the servers themselves.

Had the same problem before this update, if you checked the steam server browser I could only see 2 out of 5 of our servers. The normal server browser could see all of them. Now it's gone for steam users we are stuffed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

OK we'll look into this and I'll get back asap, thanks for the detailed reports.

In the meantime, I'm curious, are any of you able to see your server in the vanilla Steam match maker?

- In your Steam client at the top of the window, the drop-down menu 'View' - choose 'Servers'. You'll see the standard black Steam Server list. You might have to press the 'Change filter" button and select rFactor 2.

8. gornes

gornes Registered

In my case (client in the same LAN) I can't see them in that Steam match maker as well as in the new updated rF2 launcher browser. Though, unlike some others that commented here under my initial post, my servers are still visible to others in that Steam browser (via 'View/Servers').
    I played with that filter and checked every possible variance, but no effect.

9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Nobody informed us of new ports since the last build. Either way, others were still able to join my server, so it's clearly not a port forwarding issue.

I'll double check my ports anyway when I get home. Thanks. If I don't have all of these, it's only because they became necessary from this build - of which no notes were present in the changelog either.

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I can't see it from there either. The only place someone's able to connect to my Steam version Dedicated server, is from non-Steam rFactor 2.

Hope this helps.

11. gornes

gornes Registered

These ports were default for quite some time now, not just in this new build. I am sure they were there there around November of 2015 if not earlier.

12. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Great, so adding 64298 and 64299 fixed it - they were the only ones I did not add to my router port forwarding.

And I added router ports long before that, and it always worked fine without these 2 until yesterday, which is why I never bothered to look the new ones up.

Thanks.

13. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I have the same Problem, i add this two Ports but this is not the solution for me. I start the dedicated Server in the Last Builds without Problems (and without this two Ports), but in the Build 1080 is start the Dedicated Server, The Server says "Server Listing Updated" and i have a ID, but i self cannot see the Game in the Matchmaker. I show the Log in my Firewalls, but i see no Errors and now Drops or Blocks. So i Think this is not a Problem with Ports/Firewall.

14. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

It's not ports - I have a rule that rf2 can run on any port.

15. Christian Wolter

One Question; whats the Change in the Matchmaker System with this Build? Is now a Steam Matchmaker used, must i open Steam Ports additionally?

16. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

This does not make sense, I have checked all the build notes going back and no mention of new ports. Also does not explain why some of our servers show up and some don't.

17. gornes

gornes Registered

If your dedicated server is the only machine within your LAN, there is no need to do post forwarding in the router and you only need to open them in Firewall (or not if you have that rule with any port but I can't guarantee).

I need to do port forwarding because I have a few PCs in my LAN and without that the incoming connections from external client would be kinda 'lost' getting routed to any of my PCs.

18. Christian Wolter

which is basically correct, but I know multiplayer games where I as a local client arriving with my WAN IP. It is there not matter if I'm on the LAN actually or not. In rfactor that was previously not so, but unfortunately I do not know about the change in the multiplayer in this build.

19. gornes

gornes Registered

It would be something related to Steam I guess.

Anyway, I have this old router and tried one thing.
    I connected it to one of the ports of my current router, which kind of made a LAN within my main LAN.
    I hooked my client PC to that 2nd router (set to RT, not AP, different subnet) and the servers showed up in the Steam as well as Launcher server browser and I could enter the session.

I don't know why it works this way, as it's still eventually within the main LAN, but just reporting it here.

So it's a temporary solution for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Using the SteamCMD Dedi.... server is up.

Can't see the server in the launcher
    Can't see in the Steam server list

But apparently people can see it in the ingame server list?!