[REL] Dallas Karting Complex 1.0

Discussion in 'Locations' started by PlickBadger, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup, bumps, undulations, uneveness in the road, cracks, different road surfaces, road camber, negative road camber, etc. etc. can really affect driving, car handling, car setup, driving technique, driving lines, and just overall character and fun-factor.

The bumps/road surface irregularities COMPLETELY transform the final chicane on the ISI Quebec kart tracks. You really have to mentally prepare your line, technique, etc. when going through that corner because you are partly compensating due to the bumps. It really is an event going through there, and massive time can be gained or lost there due to a few different reasons which all stem from the bumps.

That entire turn, from start to end (including the fact that the exit is a battle between the exit itself and the brake point/entry to left hander which leads to a straight) is already a legendary corner in the sim-racing world in my opinion.

3. Paddler

Paddler Registered

++1

4. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Can you talk about the changes to the track surface?

Very nice subtle wacky waving btw.

Those ATVs just look too big and wrong proportions to be honest.

Can we get a circling blimp with camera? Would be fun with overview cam on kart tracks.

5. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

bumps were added
    thanks
    ATVs were measured using cornerworkers - they are close
    no - I don't have time for more updates to this track :)

6. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Maybe my fov and that im litterally sitting on the track that makes it a bit of for me regarding the ATVs.

Well, thank you for getting us this track so quickly! Much appreciated!

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Great improvements!

I even got more fps then ever, 107 is a first for me in this build, well happy with that.

Thx so much PlickBadger :))

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya,

just tried new version but decided to go back to old version, I'm not feeling anything in the track surface but some horrible sharp (like some things hitting my steering wheel) forces in the ffb

I run motion with sim vibe etc -this picks up the ISI surfaces very nicely along with very very subtle (minimal) ffb effect

thanks for giving it a try anyhow

9. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

What I could do is a version 1.2 with and without the bumps as layout choices

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

fantastic, thanks for being very helpful, I think bumps are fine etc but much less than the updated version maybe only 25% of what they were then im sure that will be somewhere near more natural feeling

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Before PickBadger spends more of his valuable time changing or repackaging, can we get some more feedback on whether the new bumps are realistic or not? Sorry, I can't test myself this week, but no point in making them a layout choice if they aren't realistic.

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Yes it would be great if we could get a consensus. Are the bumps good, but just need to be toned down or should there be 2 options with and without. Thanks for all the feedback

13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I just tested v1.1. Note I didn't test v1.0: I agree than bumps are kind of violent on my wheel (T500RS). It don't feel as "strong" elevation, but small sharped ones. That's too much to my taste. That's just my opinion. I can also raise the FFB filter (set usually to 0 for all other tracks)...

Edit: and BTW, taking those too strong bumps apart (toned down will be my vote): thanks for this new track kart, I really love it, really great work :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  14. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Ok, so here's my plan. I'd like for you guys to test some bump levels for me. I'll create 3 bump reduction patches to install on top of 1.1f

The first will be the bumps at 95%, then 90% and finally 85%. Which ever one is seems best will then get used in version 1.2. Seem reasonable?

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Very :)

I've never tested bumps etc so I might be a bit off but it seemed to me the bumps only effected the wheel but not the kart. they don't seem to influence the kart movement much or at all. like the surface is still flat but it just gives a jank on the ffb.

One thing I just noticed which is minor imo, when going offtrack and re-joining, if you re-join over one of the flat curbs you either get stuck (low speed) or are lifted up as if was a ramp (higher speeds)
    The higher curbs don't seem to have this issue.

16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

This is due to the physical geometry of the curbing mesh. I've tried to lower the back side of them quite a bit, but the karts are so low to the ground

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Implying I know what that means :)

But I trust your observations onnit and its not a dealbreaker anyways. in fact, it would force people not to go off-track too much which is only a good thing no?

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes that's a point, the motion on my rig is sensitive yet didn't react to the sharp bumps
    ( very apparent through the wheel )

anyway, I'd happily test each version of the tracks,

I think track texture & surface irregularities would be a lot more work ( cambers / subtle lumps etc ) maybe even redoing
    the track all together ( track mesh is it called ? )

I still thank you for sharing this track though plickbadger by no means am I saying I dislike it , quite the opposite in fact

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I agree and I'll be happy to test this! :)

BTW I see you're using a G25 PlickBadger. Do you have a filter FFB value in control settings? When I had my G25 before the T500RS I had to use a value to avoid rattling, it was something like 6 or 8 can't remember, and I know now with my 0 value and T500RS that I was missing lot of information from track bumps with G25. I'm asking this as your feeling on those bumps may differs from us if you use a filter value and also simply because G25 versus other brands I guess...

In any case, the more I drive this track and the more I like it, thanks again :)

Edit: forget to say: my buttkicker received also the "hard" chock of those bumps through SimVibe.

20. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I'm uploading testing patches now. I'll only give out these patch links via PM to keep things from getting messy.

In order to test, you'll have to have 1.1f installed and only have 1 patch in your packages directory at a time. They will be named
    1.1f_85, 1.1f_90. 1.1f_95 - the number corresponds to essentially to the height of the bump mesh. - 85 being 85% of the the original bump height.

Here's who I have volunteered to test so far
    YoLolo69
    Denstjiro
    Adrianstealth

Anyone else?