[REL] Dallas Karting Complex 1.0

Discussion in 'Locations' started by PlickBadger, Apr 8, 2014.

1. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I have my FFB set to 1.00 and no filtering. I do use a little minimum steering torque in the controller.ini though

2. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Testing patch links PM'd to:
    YoLolo69
    Denstjiro
    Adrianstealth

Anyone else is welcome to test. Also, I added a freakin' hot air balloon and balloon cam, just for John :)

And my wife is in the balloon basket ;)

3. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I'll gladly take a crack at it!

4. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

certainly - PM sent. Thanks for testing!

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I'll be able to test them tonight (around 9PM CET), thanks :)

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

7. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

cool, thanks guys!

Also, I may have 1 more round of road surface testing for you after this. I've been messing around with a more refined mesh that might provide a less abrupt feeling overall.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ok here is my report Mr. Badgerings. Read it carefully for I will only type this once,

Used the F1 Kart

85: didn't feel anything.

90: very mild, didn't feel it added much so same experience in driving as 85 for me.

95: felt much better, the bumps did still not effect the Kart but it made the track feel more 'alive'

Went back to 1.1 just to compare: same as before. stronger effects but imo Adrian was right, it was a tad much focussed on ffb alone.

Now, I have developed a theory that 'sounds' sensible but I am not sure if it actually is,
    The bump-placements could be more effective. in my mind a track surface gets raped where most of the action will take place, and over the years create the bumps.

with 1.1 and still with 95 it seems to me it could be placed better. for example, T1 apex is very smooth. but there are bumps in the middle of the first straight.
    imo T1 apex or braking zone should get those bumps and the straight not.

There are some turns midfield that have bumps on/in apex and that feels a lot better in making the track alive.
    Not saying do it at every apex, mix it up a bit but bumps could be close to areas where heavy traffic would create bumps and that in itself would make it a more natural thingy.

And now someone is going to tell that these Karts are not capable of creating bumps through the years, fine. see if I care :)

For me 95 is bestest if some of them where place more in the action zones.

Also on a sidenote, in 1.1 you said the sign was updated but it was not. in the patches it is though.

Hope it helped :)

9. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Denstjiro,

First of all thank you very much for the feedback. Your theory is absolutely spot on. I completely agree with it. I have the ability to limit the bump mesh to specific areas of the track. Let me put together another patch based on your theory and I'll let you know when it's ready.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya

I have the 3 test files, what am I suppose to do with them ?

I thought simply update but its not allowing me too

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

You can only have 1 of these in the packages folder at a time. You'll need to install and uninstall each patch individually in order to test. The track version number in mod manager will reflect which patch is installed.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya plickbadger

I tried this (just one in the packages folder as well as the main track file) when I clicked my mouse no update option

13. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Fully uninstall the track and it may work after you install it again.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ok thanks, I'll try that later

15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Ok, so just tested 85, 90 and 95. That will be a tricky one ;)

85 : too light, I feel bumps, but really subtle

90 : perfect

95 : Too much for me, it don't look track bump, more if somebody punch my wheel

I second Denstjiro for bumps placement, and that's probably also explain why I prefer 90 instead of 95. I accept all kind of bumps, from smooth to violent, if I can see them. Here the track look smooth and perfect, and suddenly you receive those hard feedback in the wheel (and buttkicker but that's another story) so it look "artificial". For example, I really love small bump at Croft because they come from different track surfaces. Same thing at Silverstone, the painting lines on the ground for the starting blocks of each car have a small relief and that's cool.

Also, bump here look like more "binary", on & off, and not track bump which can be smooth. I'm lacking English words, sorry. Let me explain with sound waves: those bumps look square ones, and not sinusoidal. Could be same height and length, but more smooth, less hard. In that case I'm pretty sure 95 will be perfect. If not, I prefer 90. Hope I'm clear ;)

Saying that I will accept your final version, because you cannot please everyone off course! ;) and I'm already very happy with this track! :)

16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

You guys got time to test a couple more patches?

17. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Can't really add more than what's already been stated.

But I sure do like a new patch to test in the morning!

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This is a pretty good one imo. bumps will make more sense if it has a visible reason. a track patch (whatever it is) + bumps innit gives both a visual and feedback sense. makes it even more logical.

@Adrian: you need to add one patch at the time to packages, update track, test.
    uninstall track. it will not uninstall but default to original, delete patch, then place the next patch and repeat.

And yes Badger, bring it on :)
    I agree with Yolo, can't please everyone and if you try to please everyone we will be testing for eternity hehe.

19. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

The question is how realistic it is with some asphalt patches on a small kart track.

I mean, when they do stuff to the track, they repave the whole track for sure?

Hmm, well, maybe not. Not all tracks have the money to repave the asphalt on the whole track.

Can we get some worn asphalt texture patches in a corner or two? ;)

If that's to much to ask for, no problem. I've already got wacky waving and a overview camera :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  20. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Ok, you guys have to the 2 new patches. Please let me know what you think and again thanks for all the testing.