[REL] Dallas Karting Complex 1.0

Discussion in 'Locations' started by PlickBadger, Apr 8, 2014.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Tested both new patches:

My preference is with DallasKartingComplex_v1.1f_P2_90

I didn't have to lower anything of FFB side and for SimVibe and my Buttckicker regarding Dallas track and other track like Quebec ones. For me this setting is in phase with other tracks.

With the "95" version, feedback on wheel and buttkicker are stronger and I had to lightly lower my settings comparing to other tracks, so it's also influenced kerbs which went lighters. In any case both are pretty cool, it's just that 90 sound more homogeneous regarding my feedback configuration and other kart tracks.

In both case it seems bumps appear now more where you expect them to appear, during some curves for examples, and that's good :)

2. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Awesome! Thank you very much for the feedback. I actually like the 90 as well. I'm going to go with it for v1.2

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

A bit late sorry, I had to defend my family against Ninja's.

I slightly preferred 95 but I don't use buttkicker/simvibe etc so I would go with Yololo's advise in that respect, better not start of with people having to alter things. better for the track usage and popularity in general.
    And I suspect Adrian would like 90 more as well seeing his earlier comments on bumps.
    Placement is better though! I like it :)

Thx for allowing us this rare opportunity in testing PlickBadger, it was only minor of course but still fun to be part it. Roll on the final version :)

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The point about the bumps being in the expected places is critical--glad you agree Pick.

The point about the graphics matching the bumps is also critical. ISI's Quebec track actually has the opposite problem: there are graphics for rough or worn pavement all over the place that do not have any bumps associated with them. However, where the Quebec track does have bumps modelled, they are excellent.

My only contribution is to recall how much trouble pleclair had working through these issues with Nords. The surface mesh and bumps are way more complicated in rF2 than in rF1, so you might have to look at a track like Quebec to see how ISI did it. Not that your track is a quick conversion, but there are some out there that are quite nice graphically and would have a lot of promise, but are anywhere from "very unrealistic" to "completely unusable" because of issues with the track surface--usually bumps that are too big, too regular or the wrong shape (and all three caused by trying to use a repeating pattern with minimal effort instead of being willing to comb over the whole surface carefully massaging it to a real-world condition).

5. tcb77

tcb77 Registered

This track is great....Absolutely brilliant.... Thanks friend....

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I'm glad we were allowed to provide our point of view here, thanks for that :)

I wanted to hear back from Adrianstealth too as he's the one who detected first this bump problem and his configuration are quite different than us (motion simrig). I hope the final setting will also fit for him.

In any case, thanks again for this amazing track, my English lack of terms to say how glad I am :)

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I should chime in now, late, since I have been able to test 1.1 on my own rig. The bumps are a little sharper than one would expect. I like where the bumps and undulations accompany the wear marks on the track. If there are "bumps" on the other clean looking areas I think they should be larger undulations--like really large and shallow ones.

Some of the wear area "bumps" should be ripples in the pavement that you get in braking zones (and why worn pavement is often patched in those areas). rather than just traditional bumps.

Other regular bumps should just be a little less sharp then they are now. I am not sure if it's an issue of the size or shape or both of the bumps that were introduced.

Overall, though, I would take 1.1 over 1.0 any day and am glad others are helping test and contribute to this process. If you have any "latest" or best version you want my feedback on, please feel free to PM me. I am not travelling any longer.

And thanks again for such a great addition to our kart track stable for rF2. It's nice to have a wider, higher speed track and I really hope that some extra layouts will also eventually make their way into the final version :)

8. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

version 1.2 is ready. Anyone want to give it a quick test before I release it? Just to make sure I didn't F! something up :)

9. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

I'd love to try it out for you, Plick. The bumps in 1.1 were a nice addition, I hope you were able to place them to reduce the slightly 'artificial' feel they gave. Been really looking forward to the update, so I can spend a few hours checking for bugs, glitches or malfunctions if that's what you're looking for.

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Release the Badger already :p

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

LOL! - I PM'd it to NWDogg. I think he's got time to give a quick once over, then I'll release it

Here are the 1.2 updates:
    1) Improved bump placement and more subtle bumps
    2) Improved AI - I did my best to make the AI a little faster
    3) Minor graphic improvements

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Version 1.2

Version 1.2 updates:
    1) Improved bump placement and more subtle bumps
    2) Improved AI - I did my best to make the AI a little faster (I'd still recommend at least 110%)
    3) Minor graphic improvements

First post updated and thanks a bunch for testing NWDogg!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Great! downloading right now, I'll test it later today, thanks! :)

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I like it Plick, well done :)

Did you also change some camera's? don't recall exactly but they look different and closer, and had not noticed the full-track-balloon camera either, that is pretty awesome tbh. great job man :)

15. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks for the update Mr. Badger. Yeah, the Balloon cam is very good. Your wife is a very good balloon flyer :D. So good that she can make it hover in the same place on a windy day :D.
    Best time I got on a rubbered track was 53.403 with KartF1, CW layout, default setup. Had the AI on 120%, they were doing almost the same, all good there.
    Hope to play it online soon.
    cheers :)

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Lovely! It's a very smooth track, which I guess it's supposed to be. By that I mean the bumps are small enough and few enough that they don't enter into the racing equation to cause errors or misjudgements. If that's what is desired, then it achieves it. If you want some extra drama, you'll have to up the ante ;)

The AI is generally slow in the corners, but better than before. The % slider doesn't help with their overall behaviour, which if it's as an obstacle in the middle of a corner, should be fixed at the source. That was with the Junior kart; not sure if the F1's behave in the same manner/are using the same source files?

Overall thanks again a million for providing a great alternative more open and fast kart track for us all to enjoy!

17. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Just updated to build 660. Is anyone else getting a completely black screen when running this track at night? I don't know if it is HDR causing it or what, but the screen goes completely dark as soon as you move or touch a button. It isn't like this during the day, and it wasn't like this in B590 either (though the night lighting didn't really work on B590, where it appears it may be working now, albeit the black screen.)

I hope it's just on my end, and I've simply messed up a setting somewhere, but it's not happening at other tracks so that doesn't seem likely. Any thoughts or suggestions?

18. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Same here - I think it's a track issue with the way I have the night lighting designated in the .scn file. I'm going to do some testing to try and figure this out. I couldn't tell if the night lighting was working or not due to build 590. I'll figure it out and get an update out ASAP.

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Finally got to try this track. Very good job Mr. Badger! I love your tracks :)

AI is kinda slow as stated already but otherwise top quality.

20. vivemclaren

vivemclaren Registered

Thank you very much, your track is very cool :) it is more suitable for Kart F1 than Quebec tracks :)

I hope you will do others tracks in the futur, I love your work :)