Assetto corsa ,,,,

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Kek700, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

DOF on a replay? Yeah, adds to the TV effect, so long as the "focus" is on the right things. A good thing
    In game? Heck no, I never understand it in say a shooter game. It has to assume I'm always looking where the cross-hair is...which I'm not, so suddenly I can't see crap because it decides to blur everything else out.

I look out at the mountains here, and they look slightly hazy from the atmosphere. But they are "crisp" as it were.

And I agree with Golanv...you don't need to justify everything, I don't care what you play, just don't post up one week how something is unmatched, then the next week, it's crap. XD

2. stonec

stonec Registered

If you don't run HDR you're not running the game as it's intended to be run, every texture color will look wrong. Recently with tools like gJED released track artists work with HDR environment only, they put no time tweaking the textures for SDR. I wouldn't actually be surprised if the option to turn it off is soon gone as it causes much confusion.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

[​IMG]

lol

When Historics content gets back to look like it used to count me in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Minibull, your Mountains don't look crisp compared to something 5 feet away from you or 100 feet, or 1000 ft, etc. Unless you aren't human or are a super human then things blur slightly more and more then further they are away from you :)

Post processsing adds input lag as it is calculated after the image has already been rendered and is ready to be sent to the monitor so that's why I disable it and don't use aything like SweetFX. If it's possible to apply distance DOF (not camera lense DOF) as part of the initial render procesa rather than a post-render-process then I will gladly use it while driving as I think distance based DOF/blur is actully one of the rare, non-gimmicky and realistic types of effects.

My opinion is that RF2 still has a very flatish, super low contrast, everything-is-greyish sort of look to it still. The lighting, shadows, etc. look flat with no contrast or very, very high gamma or something. Basically everything looks like there is a grey filter/tint applied on top. I think RF2 b49 or b6x was the last time this weird, global grey tint/filter to everything was not there.

There is currently a bug when using multiview where the HDR changes while watching a reply as you toggle on/off the replay controls and laptime bar at the bottom (been happening a few builds now). You'll notice that the HDR mode it switches to (the wrong one) actually has much more depth and contrast/"pop" than the correct one. You guys should try it and take a long. The wrong HDR mode has issues like blacking out some signs and stuff but you can see it looks much better and just needs some touching up. I wonder if ISI has looked into this bug (it also oggles multiview on/off)? The bug shows a real nice HDR which has much more depth/pop and looks more like a modern game. I highly recommend to check it out.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

" annnnndddddd................ you took the words right out of my mouth"

p

See pics above b60x.

;)

Even the Smiths gauges glass glinted in the sunlight back then..... lovely ( canned or not )

atm looks like no glass.

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

ISI changed the lighting system in build 068-069. From that point the default material settings didn't work anymore (no specular reflection, very weak fresnel reflection). The problem is nobody adjusted the materials to work with the "new" lighting. The only modder I know who recognized this and created his own settings was feels3.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah ?

You feel the same things in terrain in AC, I never did and woochoo thought the conversion was pretty ordinary from all accounts.

He never got a chance to look at it first, etc.

Unless it has been updated since of course, travesty if it was left as v.086 was it ?

I asked and emailed JN /Duc /RM and a few others if they interested to do HD version for AC of v1.00 , whether they contacted woo I don't know.

(I asked woochoo prior if it was okay to seek someone to do a better job of it. )

and I suppose to be a fanboy...go figure.

P.S.

I know one thing for sure he won't dole out permission for v1.00 as easy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yup, exactly, and that is already covered in the sim, you see that distance "haze" to things as they are further away. I don't mean crisp as in I can see each leaf on the trees ontop of the mountain, but that they don't turn into a massive mushy mess because the game decided I should be focusing on the trackside fence infront of the mountain.
    But to have these ridiculous DOF blur effects?? Nah, it looks crap to my eyes outside of replays and screenshot modes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In RF2 you only get the haze effect you don't get the blur effect that eyes have. If I'm not mistaken, the haze effect is from the air/environment while the blur effect is from our eyes as things loose sharpness more and more further they are from us.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You must be short-sighted :p

An object 20m away won't give you any resolution advantages over an object 2km away, except for haze and the obvious fact it appears smaller (lol). Same as a camera really, 'infinity' focus is hardly any different to 10m focus.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I mean as a Sim in general, the whole package not just the physics/ffb side of things, after all at the end of the day you're making a game and where other sims have excelled (Menu/UI/championships/careers/in race HUDs etc - all subjective of course!) is where there is "no harm" in seeing how they've done things and doing it better yourselves.
    Again every game genre does this so I see no reason to believe that ISI hide in their cave and never ever notice what the other sim companies are doing ;) But if you do that then ok, carry on :)

12. unknwn

unknwn Registered

+1
    Basically the main things that I don't like about rF2 graphics - low contrast/flat colors with what looks like grey filter on top of it, which makes whole picture to look dull despite having relatively good 3d models/textures.

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

No, it's not as good as rF2 version. I like the track and how it looks like, but it hasn't got the love that rF2 version has.
    It has some oddities to it, you can't flatspot tires there for example, which is just odd. I do hope that a proper conversion will be made eventually from the v1.0, it is fantastic piece of work.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1 back, lol

15. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

HDR OFF all gray and off, Vec had gorgeous graphics

16. Domi

Domi Registered

+2

17. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Controversial point of the day: I like both rF2 and AC.

AC's 1.3 update has improved it significantly. FFB is actually very decent in a number of cars now.

Msportdan, embrace them both. Accept neither sim has the correct answer and pick and choose combos of cars and tracks that you enjoy in each sim.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 would improve much by having a gamma and saturation slider. Not every monitor can be calibrated for gamma, hence why lot of games now provide it and it has been wished for rF2 as well for long. Saturation is too low since the HDR update, for some reason many ISI tracks use desaturated textures when there is little need to desaturate anything with the updated HDR.

19. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I think AC sucks. If I didn't have a life I'd probably hang out on their forums to keep telling them that and defending rF2 or other games that I like if someone were to speak badly about them, but fortunately I do have a life. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I crazy one thinks this as well.

Granted I am limited by hardware.

If you don't think no HDR rF2 looks any good how could you have drove anything but Shift and Grid (DX10ers ) for best part of a decade. hehehe

iRacing is closest thing to No HDR rF2 around imho, SCe included Spin. :) Correct me I wrong they all DX9 ?