Am I the only one thinking payware could be rFactor2's death knell?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Marvin Morgan, Mar 10, 2013.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Exactly, available at work, it would be really weird if I were to start modding at work, right?

You are wrong about what I'm worried about. Or, worried, is maybe a word not very fitting here. What I think is that to me, it's not worth paying for mediocre modelling and worse physics, even it's a couple of bucks, when we have some, to me, brilliant cars in rF2 already. Even more so, charging money for licensed content such as Formula 1 and DTM stuff is a dangerous hobby if you ask me, and if you're talking about being worried, this sort of stuff might damage our sim and the way we enjoy it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And yes, it's always worth checking contracts that is for sure, one of the reasons I choose to work on Zolder is that it doesn't interfere with mine ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What do you think happens at ISI when an employee needs legal software? :)

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Tim, he/she probably doesn't get a license for home/private use I reckon!

If they do, very nice but I guess that is not the norm.

4. 88mphTim

Dell had a whole line of laptops specifically for the 3D design community. Here's a shocker, you don't have to be at work with a laptop to use the software...

5. 88mphTim

Only the core programmers work from the ISI office. Car and track content is off site.

6. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Yeah, but I am encouraged to use it outside of work as much as possible because it is free training that the employer doesn't have to pay for. Problem is, anything I make with any of it belongs to my employer ... ;) ;)

It's not going to harm rFactor2. Just like it never harmed rFactor1. ISI's "don't care" policy ensures that it will not harm the sim; there is no perceived endorsement, nothing at all to do with ISI what their customers decide to do with their Sim in the same way that Microsoft are not held responsible for things written in Word.

If you don't like it, leave it on the side of your plate. There is no reason at all to get worked up about it. I won't be buying any of it, it's not an issue to me at all.

It's such a non-issue I don't know why so many people let themselves froth at the mouth over it to the point where they get banned from the forum. It just seems so petty and stupid to me. We should be racing stuff that we *do* like, and having fun. Not pointing fingers and calling names over some imagined slight or disagreement over alleged principles.

Nothing to see here, move along :D

7. 88mphTim

I can see what you mean, that it was license to the company, perhaps, not the individual. But that doesn't mean the software itself was illegally downloaded, which was your point.

8. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Having access to the software at work is perfectly fine, so long as you do with it, what your employer pays you for. They tend to not like their employees doing anything else at the workplace. And unless that same employer let´s you work from home from time to time or fulltime, they would be pretty generous to give away thousands of <insert currency here> worth of software for private activities. And still, giving a license to an employee to work from home, I´m pretty sure, would imply to use it for their contractual obligation towards the employer and nothing else. But that´s a grey area then.

Cheers,
    Marcus

9. 88mphTim

That's not unusual. If you work for a sim racing company here, and attend a motorsport event as a fan. 50% ownership of photos you took could be argued owned by the employer, even if you paid for the ticket and trip yourself.

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Obviously they need the software to do their job.

Just to get things straight, I don't care about legal or illegal software, that was Satangoss I replied to where he called people hypocrits.

Didn't know that!

11. 88mphTim

If you're this concerned about ownership rights. Using most free mods should be something you run screaming away from.

Rest assured that all content ISI produces does not infringe on anyone's Intellectual Property by using logos on the skin which are unapproved, or any car designs or branding use without licensing. I'm sure this sets your heart at ease.

The only other option I see which doesn't infringe IP, (except ISIs, which most mods do technically), are mods like the T5. So it's difficult for it to be argued one is right or another right.

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's simply the companies who could intervene when money gets involved. That is the only thing that worries me a little bit.

13. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I've never, ever, had a contract that stated everything I do with company equipment is company property. Every contract I've ever signed says that what I work on for the contracts the company has is the property of the company until it is given to the client, at which point it is the property of the client. If I work on something that is not one of their contracts, whether it be in the office or at home on my legal, at home license of the softwares I use professionally, it is mine. I've never seen any contract that says different.

14. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Well the thing is in the U.S. ,whether correct or not, it's the thought that using a company's resources on a personal project opens that project up to be partly or whole owned by the company. But even if there isn't much legal standing a company can litigate you to death and wind up snatching your project anyway if they feel it's lucrative.

15. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Welcome to America

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ive seen both.

Most of my employers encouraged me to do my own projects, as this would/did give me more experience.
    These were mostly small situations, with no more than ten employees.

In big firms they dont really like that, as they want you to be available anytime there is an emergency.
    Also in big firms you are assigned to specific work, so they dont care for your overall knowledge, they prefer you to focus in a small area of the project.

As for the use of the software, that is up to employers good will and sensibility, Ive seen both worlds too.

17. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

@all
    You pay for rf2, you pay your pc, you pay the internet service, you pay the electricity, you pay your car, your house, the bills, the clothes of your wife and you wont pay for a mod.

18. HumanZob

HumanZob Registered

@pay2021
    That's because we don't have money after paying everything else.

Yes, we pay for the game, and more than other games, so why we could pay more for more content ? Why this content is not just in the game at the beggining ? That's because today we want to earn more money, so we don't allow people who pay the game to use content if they don't pay more after. So we gonna pay 100$ at the end instead of the half.

Made it like it need to be: Only free DLC. rFactor 1 was full of magnificient free mods, why dou you want us to pay for rFactor 2 mods, just because we are few years later and everybody else doing that ?

19. PMC

PMC Registered

I think it comes down to principle and how we feel about how the sim racing community should be.

Do we really expect to pay for everything in life or should we share life, hmm deep.

I can understand peoples need to make money or atleast cover there cost's but I don't think people expect to pay third parties for content for a game they have already purchased.

I myself would not buy a mod merely out of principle . I would donate to modders for good work if I could afford it ,but geez there's some good modder's and a lot of 'em.

Donations are the way to go, and sooner or later you can get the mod anyway

20. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Human, looks this situation like when you grow up, at the beginnig your parents pay for your food, clothes, etc, then you grow up, you start a job then you pay for your stuff, i see this in that way, the comunity is "growing up", literaly most of the modders of rf1 era grow up and have things to aford and if they want money for their work they are in total right of do it.
    Of course, is my perspective and maybe im grong.

Then comes the question, as PMC quotes, if the "mod ready" or "mod based" software is a good idea, i ask my self if i want to buy a base software then buy an aditional, why not comes all in one package as the traditional software? warning, when i know rf1 i thought that was the mos great idea the posibility of you can mod the game, just now i ask my self if this is what i want or if this is useful for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013