A packaging overview & tutorial video...

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Michael Juliano, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Kyle House

Kyle House Registered

Is the beta configured to accept user made mod packages right now?

I followed the directions in the packaging tutorial and packaged up all the trainer and Joesville files, even nabbing the engine sounds which isn't part of the tutorial. All of the component files install and I can see and use everything in the All Cars mod. However, the mod I put together using the Trainer RFM data doesn't show up as a selectable mod. Is there something I'm missing or is the beta just not opened up to allow User-made content right now?

2. KwikKyle0

KwikKyle0 Registered

Can someone make a video how to convert a mod from rFactor over to rFactor2? I am trying to follow the instruction manual in the tools folder but I am missing something some where... It seems easy as dragging some files and naming and saving but for some reason I am not getting anywhere?

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

small error in packaging tutorial....

should be ... Go to the “Purchase” page..login to your account and select “Request
    New Mod ID”

only small i know but had me scratching my head for awhile doing the step by step method lol

4. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

I'll update that--one of those "I assume they'll know what to do" things from having done it so many times :)

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Agreed, but It'll also open up for "null" cheats - improve visuals by removing rain,fire,smoke,etc.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Added tutorial video to Scott's first post...

7. Michael Juliano

I would suggest you watch in full screen so you can actually see the directory and file text...

8. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Thanks for video tutorial Scott..

everything you did in that clip is what i have been doing (so the written tutorial is correct ;) ) ...except i noticed that when you create your .rfcmp and .rfmod files and the box appears askng you to create yes or no...if i click yes...then a second box appears asking the exact same thing...this didnt seem to happen with yours ?

Edit: Also...i noticed that when you installed the rfmod into your working folder a "core" folder was created...is this nothing to worry about?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  9. Michael Juliano

The "core" issue is a bug and has been fixed as of yesterday--you'll see this in the upcoming beta update. Again, a good reason to work in a working directory instead of directly in your rf2 install, especially while we're still in beta. We think this crept in right before the first beta release, as it wasn't doing this when I made the Megane and FR3.5 mods. No user-created mod should EVER drop any data into core (as long as you don't run mod manager directly from "core". I edited out the bugged parts because I want this video to remain relevant both before and after this issue was corrected.

Yes, the second yes/no box did appear in my vid, but I click through them so fast you normally don't see it in the playback.

As I said, we've corrected a few bugs that should help smooth out the workflow once you all get the update...

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So does what we have work?

I've followed everything this tutorial does, starting with a brand spanking new working folder and installing ISI mods into it, then packaging up the supplied rFTrainer files as directed, and everything looks right, all files 'install' correctly. Package it all up with no included track content (just referenced virtually), all vehicles/sounds/talent files selected as per the video, installed, green light and good to go. (albeit with the stuff thrown into my Core folder in the working directory)

Copy the .rfmod file into my rF2 data folder\Packages, load up the launcher, manage mods... and it's a problem mod.

I don't get it. Any way to see why it's a problem?

11. Michael Juliano

right click on the mod and click "advanced" -- should give you a list of what is the "problem". The bugs we fixed were intermittent--sometimes it was fine, other times not. Chances are if you're seeing it as a problem mod it may very well be bug influenced. I don't know if mas2 needs to be synchronized with the build. If not then I'll ask about getting the repaired mas2 out early. If it does then we'll have to wait until the first beta update to release it.

My suggestion for now is, if you're doing everything correctly and it's not working, try not to get to frustrated as it is probably not your fault...

12. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

that was 10 days and 20+ attempts ago lol...;)

13. Slothman

Slothman Registered

I get that too...virtual or content...doenst matter.

14. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Hey Scott. Suggestion for Mod Manager and the Set Package Path.

If we have to run serpeate "instances" of mod manager (ie WOrking directory and through the launcher)..is there any way the Set Package Path can be independant for both....because right now...its a bloody mess.

I have around 5-6 "packages" in the list with no way of knowing which points to which and they all show up regardless of which instance I run.

Add to that, for some strange reason, some instances think there are actual packages in empty directories.....its a real mess.

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

16. f1ligue

f1ligue Registered

I do not understand ... I followed the tutorial to the letter and ask if I want to install the mod it asks me to install the front if I can not click install

17. Slothman

Slothman Registered

LOL...that was BEFORE I moved the Modmanager.exe :)...LOL

On another note...Beam...your rFTrainer.mas, the one that is included already to go and is mentioned in the tutorial...does yours contain the art like it suggests?? Mine seems to contain all the physics files etc whcih should me the contents of the _MAIN.MAS...

I am thinking that is why I am having so many dramas trying to make this work.

18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

yer ive got...

rtrainer.mas (which is already packed and contains .gmt etc)
    rtrainer_main.mas (physics)
    rtrainer_teams.mas (skins and vehicle files)

*if you want different teams folders put the team name on the end..i.e. rTrainer_teamsloth.mas/ rTrainer_teamslothman etc

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Only GMTs and DDSs here Sloth.

20. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Aaahhhh.....bugga :)

That woul dbe why I have been having so many damn issues I bet.