60's F1 fun races #2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Fun racing at Brianza today all! It took a global effort but I think we had up to 9 guys! Let's keep it going and do the same next week!

2. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Sorry I've missed these. Sundays are tough for me to schedule. Sounds like the turn out is good enough to keep it going, which means I may be able to make it one of these times. :)

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Yep, it was a good time. Lots of short races. Was kinda nice that way since one or two always got caught out early and had only to chat for a few minutes before we went again. I had one remarkable off. I went airborne going over the berm on the exit of Parabolica. Landed and tumbled onto the old banked track. I turned the car in the right direction and floored it, blasting through the barriers onto the front straight like a Dukes of Hazard scene just in time to get into a drag race with Kknorpp going down to Curva Grande. Sorry all you realism freaks, but in this case the no damage setting made for a great race highlight!

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

That truly is a moment I will never forget. My view was perfect too. In fact, I may have to post the replay of that.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Got it! Uploading to youtube now. Hilarious! I actually saw you go off and then saw the wood flying as you broke through and I swerved to make sure I didn't hit you. I was laughing so hard it's amazing I was able to stay on the track. Stand by for video...

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Posted this on rf2 beta videos thread for some marketing LOL

9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Cracks me up watching it! I'm glad you saved it! I was about to punch out of the race and I thought "Hell, I ain't hurt and the car seem fine, let's see if that barrier is solid."

10. perdy450

perdy450 Registered

Can do next Sunday finally :)

11. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Sorry if my server dropped out lastnight, maybe very late but im not too sure when. My machine is on 24/7, but for some reason, this morning it was off!! Im looking into why it happened. If im going to host it has to be stable. :)

Funny vid you guys. No damage does have its bonuses lol

12. Jos

Jos Registered

I was there too, driving the wingless car on rubberless track was crazy :p

made for some nice crashes though.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I would have made the event, but my driving would have been a huge hindrance to you guys so opted out on this one. I can't seem to brake without the car getting real squirrly on me. I have moved brake bias around a lot and changed the bumps and rebounds but I still can't get rid of it. Is this something that is characteristic of these cars?

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

65:45 and tire pressure two clicks down make a a lot of difference for me, but Im slow anyway, so tips are very welcome.

15. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

If all you ever driven is cars with downforce then it will be like driving on a whole different planet. You have to break the mental conditioning you have developed. You just can't brake as short as you would like to. Brake eariler and less violently. Remember that even though it seems ridiculously unfast, that's the way it is for everybody. This is not to say that as you become adapted to it you can't improve and get more daring. But get used to the smooth technique first and then progress.

And if you have expereince with the F2 and F3 you have to break that conditioning too. You will be entering the brake zone much faster than with those cars but with no braking advantage.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks for the advice guys, I had been running 50/50 on the bias and thought I was a bit too heavy on the fronts, but I guess I didn't go far enough, hehe. Will try that out. As far as the tire pressure, I am running pressures as low as they will go and I still have issues with the center being a bit hotter than the sides of the tires. I even have an issue with the outside of one tire being very cold compared to the rest of the tire, but camber should be able to flatten that out more.

BTW, if bias should be that far towards the front, why is the default for me 40/60?

17. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Yes! The F1 are crazy awesome beasts! Smooth, if you possibly can, is faster. They do drift .. when you're lucky. :) They accelerate so quickly that the braking zone arrives before I think it will. I rarely find myself using full throttle. Hairy! I concur on the 65/45 diff. Definitely a little easier. The only other setup skills I have is to check tire temps and adjust pressure (usually lower) and camber asymmetrically.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Just turned a few laps at Brianza and I was finally able to go faster than all the rest of the BT20's at 100% AI. I guess it is now time to move the slider to 105% heheh.

Currently using 60/40 on brake bias with 80% pressure, will have to increase pressure now and see how things go. I am not currently able to lock the tires on braking.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

You can also go race the 37 gp mods in rf1 then come back to rf2 f1s and you'll feel like superman! :)

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks Kknorpp001, but I don't even own rF1. ;)