Latest Roadmap Update - January 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

The LIDAR is just a generic term to indicate the use of Light Detection, instead of any other method available. May apply to extremely high accuracy/density ground scanners, as well as high altitude UAV mounted scanners, with pretty different ground scanning goals. That term itself does not tell anything about the accuracy and quality of the data.

Churrinche, Guimengo, lagg and 2 others like this.
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

that's a big dong

Louis, bwana, UsedMomo and 4 others like this.
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

LOL

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That was basicly my point.

Dependend on wich form of laser scanning is used (especialy terrestrial vs. airborne) results can vary alot in accuracy and I think that most people aren't aware of this. Might be another topic for a devblog. But thanks anyway ;)

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Laser scan is new.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

The doorbell of my home sounds like this.
    big dooong
    big dooong
    :p

F1Aussie likes this.
  7. Aldafix

Aldafix Registered

You've seen an update. Not the hud where? I do not need a track or a car any more. I can not even do a championship offline and a new UI

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  8. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Would be great if the new HUD took inspiration from Automobilista's new HUD.

FS7 likes this.
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

One of the first memories of my Wife was her saying "well that's a big dong"
    lol

lagg, F1Aussie and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  10. qusimano

qusimano Registered

11. Kendo1978

Kendo1978 Registered

Yeah, there has not been any mention of the UI in the roadmap blog for a while now.

12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

:eek:

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

She was being sarcastic of course, lol

lagg and TheMattyOnline like this.
  14. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Regarding the new HUD.

Remember this isn't the new HUD tech that has been discussed in previous road maps.

This is a HUD improvement based off the old tech with some extra parameters thrown in.
    Consider it an interim step until the new DX11 compatible overlay system is released.

15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Registered

Why investing precious dev time into an interim solution?

qusimano, Prodigy and dadaboomda like this.
  16. stonec

stonec Registered

Well, because league racers didn't want to switch to DX11 due to missing information from plugins and (my guess only) the new HUD is not close to being ready, so an interim solution was necessary. If it was ready in a matter of a few months, then I agree it would make no sense.

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

A lot of people here probably have, they just don't have a "I have to race on laser scanned or nothing" attitude about it. But that's a discussion for elsewhere.

On topic though- seriously interested in the kart stuff.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  18. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

Well, if you are right and the new hud is months away… I'm really disappointed, and even worried! I made the switch with Dx11 becoming default, and I'm using a third party HUD that fits perfectly my needs for a regular use. And there are other HUDs in the workshop.

But in a multiclass league race, I find myself missing vital informations about my opponents; who's in front and behind me mainly. When cars get close the dots are overlapping and become useless, you can't tell if the one catching is the leader taking you a lap, or your closest opponent!

The new UI and HUDs have been announced a year ago. I can't believe it has been seriously been worked out considering the 3 UI screens we've seen so far, and now that poor HUD preview: it could have been done 10 years ago! Not sure what it will bring here?

rFactor 2 is certainly the most advanced simulator, other titles seem more simplified. I would only take rain as an example: many games don't have it, for others it is mainly graphics with a more slippery roads… But they are perfectly playable as of now. While in rF2 we now have perfectly simulated rain with every drop movement being calculated… But you can't use it as AIs are pitting every lap!

As more time goes on, I feel like no one is able to manage the complexity behind… This is really becoming a joke with so many things started but none of them finished or even usable! Of course I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just trying to express my feelings… and frustration: this game looked so promising! And no other seems capable for league races; I discovered a whole new world with those! But I see us in a dead end now... :(

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@alexSchmurtz you must be new here :D

Please avoid saying things like "a joke", it just sounds insulting and will provoke pointless arguments. Regarding progress, S397 would certainly have their hands full understanding how the game all works and formulating a way forward with it. It takes time, and it is certainly taking a while, but that should be seen as a good bad thing, not a bad bad thing. If they plan it right they can do it once and it'll all come together, whereas cobbling things together will just lead to a bigger mess.

This does mean some things (most things?) will continue to be half-baked, but it's been 6 years already... a bit longer will be worth it. Or we all move on :p

lagg, bwana, AMillward and 1 other person like this.
  20. filippu

filippu Registered

I think that you overestimated your knowledge on the subject. You making a list of available data doesn't make you an expert.

It's a cute story, really. You are missing one thing. When you pay thousands of euros/pounds/dollars for data with millimeter precision, you don't need to add bumps yourself. Because the road mesh generated by a dedicated program will give you an accurate mesh with those bumps.
    rFpro in the past couple of years advertised themselves a lot, quite a few articles were done about them. They talk a lot about how accurate their tracks are, but I challenge you to find them telling once that bumps had to be added because of driver feedback. Same for iRacing.

On the other hand, there's free data
    https://data.gov.uk/dataset/lidar-point-cloud "All LIDAR data has a vertical accuracy of +/-15cm RMSE"
    Which means that this data to be used as a guide ss good enough to have a good representation of a track, especially the ones with elevation changes. But you won't get the bumps with those, they need to be added by hand.
    I think that the British tracks in AMS were done with that data, and I don't think I have seen them advertise that their tracks are laser scanned. Because they aren't laser scanned.

That's why I asked the question whether the kart tracks are really laser scanned (with pro tools) or not. Because there's a slight difference.
    20€ for 3 tracks and 1 kart, it makes around 5€ for a track. If it's scanned with pro tools, the price could be half decent. But if it's not the case, 5€ for half empty small kart tracks is damn expensive (imagine 2 seconds that the iRacing tracks, at their price, have a 15 centimeter accuracy instead of millimeters).
    The funny thing is, not even S397 knows (or they don't want to tell) if it's laser scanned or not.

UsedMomo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.