Is Project CARS worth trying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 19, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I disagree on GT3 cars. For me they feel unnatural/artificially made difficult to drive. I think I can feel that if they hadnt done them more slippery (under certain conditions) on purpose,
    they would feel glued like the badest simcade-car you can think of!
    In my opinion the open wheelers and maybe LMPs in pcars are the most believable ones there.

2. schigara

schigara Registered

I agree. LMP's like the Oreca are the only cars I can stand to drive Project DLC.

3. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I agree, partially, because I like some GT4/GT4 for example Ginettas. What do you mean difficult? For me GT3 cars in Pcars have mushed/damped/not really informative FFB, which kind of makes it harder than it actually is, while LMPs, Formula C and Gulf feels more direct and therefore good. Physics wise most cars seems to be slippery however you don't need to do much to correct it (forgiving), unless you allow yourself to get into high angle slides.

From road cars BAC Mono seems quite good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yup with GT4 Ginettas I agree too! ;) Thats too one of the cars that are "OK".
    Na, with "difficult" I dont mean hard or difficult in an absolut manner! Just relative to the even more grippy cars in "project DLC" (lol, good one!)

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1 Well said.

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i find the bac mono hard to believe, for a trackday car it is incredibly easy to lose traction out of the corners especially. but its pretty fun either way & i think its one they spent more time on nailing down so i guess its accurate...

i still really like pCARS, with the 3.0 patch they fixed almost all of my issues with it. as for the post about the lotus 49 being grippy as hell, thats simply not the case at all, you likely used default tires which arent remotely close to accurate...always be sure to choose your own tire, its like people complaining about AC grip bc they dont know or are too lazy to change it from optimal.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

In context ....... compared to ISI Historics ?

Heck YES !@!

;)

Rant p

I am not one thinks SMS graphics are "fantastic" per say rather "nice" .

The major modelling cars, buildings is great but a lot of the smaller things lack detail.

Stuff like the big billboards at Italy, AC and pCars versions lack complexity in the modelling of these.

Same as the pits being able to roam around Monza, Belgium pits gives me the feeling its is 3D / Real

With pCars driving past pits at Belgium / Italy it feels like GPL, the pits are just a flat background. ( even though AC and pcars are 3D obviously )

When I pass pits in rF2 I can hear mates behind walls blowing horns at me.

To me it adds a level of immersion.............. it is hard to explain.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
  8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I have a strange feeling everytime i do PCARS (and AC)

Im in this something that looks so real.

But feels totally unreal.

Same with the screenies....They looks photographic. But when everything is in motion during replay, with the sound, its like a bad Pixar animation cartoon and its not funny at all.

9. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i think pCARS graphics are fantastic, in fact i think, probably bc of misguided comparisons to prebaked/graphical showpieces driveclub & forza, theyre actually now underrated. i try to use real weather + time as often as possible & i see new jawdropping beauty all the time. in terms of the technical marvel of it nothing comes close yet, PC or console. tonight for example i got bathurst at sunset in partly cloudy weather, sheer beauty. (and yes, i know i realize i can do exactly that w/ rf2 as well)

the replays, i'm not sure what it is, but imo the game looks worse from the replay camera than it does in first person. it does look canned, fake, but when im in first person most of the time it looks pretty amazing to me. otoh i find with AC the replay cams can look great, much better than first person.

as for the L49, after trying it and the spark F1 back to back, i have to say i may have overstated things, it is a bit like an rf2 historic on a fully rubbered track or something. still this is in sunday drive mode, i remember having a terrible time driving it at the limit trying to see how close i could get to a TT record set by someone using 'fake' tires + (probably) assists. its not a bad car imo & im psyched for the historic tracks + cars coming in november.

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

The thing is, graphically, it is easier (relatively) to come up with a good render now...compared to say, 10 years back. A simple racing game on ipad have 5 times better graphics then a pc racing title 10 years back.

Its is because of this relative ease, that u see CG content in all genre, being pumped out off this huge assembly line.

And it sells as well. Big financial gain where the society now are driven to buy anything that shines. And visually pampered with wut they see on TV and Hollywood movies to be applied in everything else.

Well thats the mainstream people.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's fun, buy it. In-terms of graphics while playing (i.e. not watching replays) during the daytime and without rain...Well, if it wasn't for the 3D crowds I would have thought I was playing SCE, or RF2 or something. It doesn"t look real, or even "next gen" to me at all (daytime, clear weather, cockpit view) in-fact it really has that video game-ish cartoon look to it whereas something like AC on the other hand looks much more real as if it's it's trying to look real rather than a very pretty cartoon like PCars.

Warning: it still doesn't have proper triple screen support (independent monitor rendering ala RF1/SCE, RF2, AC, IR, etc.) but apparently SMS will be adding that, along with some 3D Vision updates, soon.

I'd only buy it on sale though personally. I wouldnt pay more than $30 for it, maybe $35 but that'd be really pushing it.

12. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I find BAC Mono grippy with soft tires, but very tail happy with default setup. I find it hard to believe that it is so hard to loose traction with some road cars that have 500hp+ ;)
    For me pCars lotus 49 feels a bit like a brick (it doesn't want to change balance during weight transfer which is opposite to rF2 historic cars), also the slicks(don't remember which model) seems to be broken for lotus 49? Very low FFB feedback and seems to be very slippery.

13. CCBB SIM Racing

CCBB SIM Racing Registered

Project Cars is a scam, First you already have all the cars that is in your game. They call it DLC's you are paying for which they are lying. You are unlocking them,.

They don't even know how to class the cars. The car classes is a joke.

They have a world mass development team? That is a lie. It's a pyramid scam to take your money. SMS started the biggest crooked money rip off in gaming history.

SMS is already taking money for their second Project Cars and p=Cars 1 is not even 1/4 the way finished. That will probably never happen.

You don't have a real Dedicated Server unless you play with your car or it will sit on the grid in the way of other drivers if you are not racing your own server.

I can post a thousand more idiotic problems with the game but I think you will find out when P-Cars is removed from Steam if SMS keeps up this BS.

14. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Life is too short to not try something so cheap. Its just a video game (not crack or something)

Not compared to rf2, which i tell to people its a simulator, not a game. Feels more suitable to my age :D:D:D

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is a strange statement. It makes little difference whether they're on your computer or not before you buy/unlock them - that's like saying a program that unlocks all its features, or switches off a time-limited trial, when you buy it is a scam just because you don't need to download anything after buying it.

I managed to try a couple of cars in pCars thinking it might be a fun game to play at times, less involving than rF2... bit like the old NFS series or something. Well I guess my perspective has changed because despite going for that approach I couldn't overlook the physics issues. Reminded me of when I got a wheel and tried GTA (3...) thinking it would be great, and the physics were actually offputting with the better input. I've enjoyed games in the past that offered progression through different series/classes, despite not being as sim as other games, and was even one of the suckers who bought into the codemasters F1 series (well, the first game anyway) and actually enjoyed it for what it was.

Not sure if you can predict how you'll feel about it in the longer term, but it's quite possibly some good fun. Didn't do it for me. I'd suggest keeping away from the karts in particular, faster cars may mask the issues better.

16. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i asked their tire guy & he said the soft tires dont even exist irl, its just an option for people who cant control the 'real' tires (primes).

17. traind

traind Registered

I was a wmd member and the money and experience was no scam. I got all my money back plus a few bucks just a week or so ago. I also got the game and the 2 year experience essentially for free due to the investment return. The whole wmd process was entertaining and insightful--- on multiple levels.

The final title is good in many ways. It is not going to scratch your RF2 itch of course but it has it's merits nonetheless. But If you are looking for cutting edge physics pcars isnt the title.

Id love to see SMS work with the RF2 engine and their graphics

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

18. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Not real in which way? Does it mean its more grippy than whatever soft track tires are capable of with current technology? Or just fantasy(not made based on any particular RL model) tire but with "realistic" lateral G for soft track tire?
    With prime tires I find it similar to Ariel atoms(skittish) just much more tail happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yeah, for the people that invested and got the game for free, its maybe a fair thing/opinion to find it good how it went......for others: not really.
    Imo with in particular pcars and AC too, they exaggerate the DLC-machinery alot.
    Nothing against DLCs, as I wish ISI (or a third party) would sell a complete, licensed series for money, so that it can be realised in a reasonable way,
    but charging for a handfull of random cars?? ....that are inGame anyways?? (or not in AC-case). SMS simply doesnt fullfill their promises (1 free car per month) (and tracks).

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I have no issues with Assetto's DLC. Nothing is already-made and done like the console on-disc DLC. Also it's 9.99 for 10 cars and 1 track, plus it's regularly discounted to a handful of bucks on sales. so far I spent 39.99 on the game and the next DLC I'll wait for 50% sale.

What does the original poster think now, having read everything? I backed out of pC and won't go near it but if random ever-existing bugs and glitches that can ruin a long session are fixed, it should make for a great relaxed gamepad past-time. It drove well on a gamepad the times I tried and on a big screen, sitting on a comfy couch on a PS4 it could be fun. With a 50-75% discount to be honest.