Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

lol :p

2. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ahh not they didnt.

In fact the categorically said they would not have ANYTHING to do with the distribution OR vaildation of MODS.

Questions kleanphil...have you read through the PDF instructions and actually tried the process?? Just curious as I think your comments are suggesting you havnt...go give it a bash, see how easy it is to create multiple MODID's that contain the same data...I can even name them the same at this point.

So I can have Sloth Mod and Sloth Mod and have them COMPLETELY differnet...already done it.

So now you tell me which one to download?? (dont panic I never posted them, I just tried it).

This is BETA. A time to test and break...this is broken :)

3. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

It should (this packaging system) at least be optionnal when you never go online, with such a good AI no more need to race with diabolos and satanas...

I must be dumb but i even can't update a track cam, someone knows how to do that ?

What is the process when the track comes from an rfmod, it always says when i try to create an update component containing the mas containing the cam file that the component is not installed ! This mas contain all the unchanged files plus the new cam, do i have to make a rfmod kind of package ? nevertheless it is not possible to create this update component, not installed not installed, it is installed

the only way to create some component is without this update parameter but then it creates a version 1.1 folder with one manifest and the portugal_f35.mas file which destroy one of the 2 layout which dissapear from the game.

I need a parameter in my plr :

mind bogling mod/component checking system on = 0;

note: there are 2 files that are keeping track of the monkey tree of components and mods called cmpinfo.dat and pkginfo.dat in the application data folder of the user, i think it will work a lot worse once there are altered...
    I already realised that there were no traces of the 60's and megane package in the pkginfo.dat one...

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Personally I think the MODID system is a GREAT idea....just not practical and at the wrong level of authentication.

I have posted this several times on different threads...now we wait and see what happens in future updates. I cannot see ISI leaving it like this as I have more faith in them than that.

But I will predict this. If this is the EXACT system released at the end of the BETA period...start looking for other alternatives as rF2 will be dead in the water.

A database of collected mods is a waste of time UNLESS it stops me creating an identical one. Why? rF2 haters will come and make merry hell...and I for one have already though of a heap of ways to use this system to frustrate the legit rF2 user :) And I dont want to have rF2 go under after just trying another "sim" of which I wont mention.

The idea has potential, but is flawed in its current state.

5. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Another option is for ISI provide simple tool with GUI to generate virtual rfmods for selected tracks and cars. This way at least it would be easy to make this new mods.

6. henri200

henri200 Registered

One of the reasons of the Beta is to get feedback on the Mod system so that they could develope it further. They have said that at the moment it's a very very basic version, what will get a overhaul during the beta period.
    Rather than whining to get it removed, give them feedback to make it better. I don't like how it is at the moment as well, but I'm sure they will make it better for the initial release.
    This system has potential, it just needs some work on it to make it easier to use. For example, in-game it should be possible to switch between series specific tracks and all tracks rather than using All Cars and Tracks.

7. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

To be honest i havent tried the process,and no doubt it's got problems. But even i (not the sharpest tool in the shed) can see the merits of a system like this,give it a go

8. Deano

Deano Registered

That's the smartest thing he's said all day :D

9. nike23osu

nike23osu Registered

Well go ahead and try it and report back...

Also i DO NOT see how anyone can see any positives from this system when it requires you to have content 2x...useing Enduraces mod as an example that is 9 gigs for just one mod compaired to just 4.5 gis the other way. I like to keep 2-3 of my games i play alot on my SSD, however with this system it wont see the light of day on my ssd drive. Sorry but the system as is stinks and wasnt thought out very well at all.

It made mods harder to distribute and brought on a mess when it comes to driving cars on new tracks. If i have a track or car mod installed i should be able to use them without having a ton of vMods. Thanks but no thanks bring back loose file please.

10. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Hehe true Deano but unfortuanatly if someones gunna make a silly uninformed posts like this it deserves all the uninformed imformation it deserves and also make sure you understand what ive posted ,thats only my perspective of how it 'should' work not how it 'does'.Go back nike and read my post about the pakages file and backups as far as x2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  11. Slothman

Slothman Registered

nike...once installed just delete the rfmod file from the packages directory.

kleanphil....thanks for reminding me that I just broke my golden rule.

"never argue with an idiot, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"...

Consider me beatan.

I have offered suggestions here and in other threads......I just doubt it will change. If they intoduce benifits that outweight this system....it might work.

12. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

kleanphil: I think this author has got his wires crossed. It seam to me that he's seen your comment "unfortuanatly if someones gunna make a silly uninformed posts like this" was directed at his post. Could be mistaken of cause but I'd ask you not to over react just for the sake of it.

Cheers.

13. dano1990

dano1990 Registered

+1 to this...

Personally im not too fussed how things work etc aslong as i can play the cars and track i wanna use, But from reading through this thread at everyones comments im starting to realise it may not be so easy to play them without creating new files which if your not exactly sure what your doing is not an easy task, and to be honest i dont think mod developers are going to sit down at their computers creating hundreds of different files for each mod user each having different tracks than the last so each player can run the mod/tracks they so wish (hope that made sense)

I'm in favour of the reduced mismatches online who isn't, i know how irritating it can be especially in leagues when you join your server 10mins before a meeting and get a mismatch.

But im not sure this was the way to do it,

The best way i think of stopping the mismatches would just be to have detailed server information containing mods/tracks being used, what versions are being used and where to get those versions would be alot simpler.

14. Kev Higgins

Kev Higgins Registered

We currently have a private release for our team use and have had to skip this rfcmp/rdmod part completly. It's working online for our members just fine without them, so they are not 'needed' in that sense. However, I think as time goes on, we are going to end up thankful for the system. The Beta was intended to test out this system, so I am sure there may well be changes in the future. For now, some more detailed tutorials, or perhaps some additions to the Wiki (which I expected much more from), or perhaps even some posts directly from the guys at ISI who designed the rfmod system would be helpful to me anyway, and I am sure I am not alone.

-1 to the removal of the new packaging system, +1 to improvements to it.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

For those worried about Skins/Sounds etc not being able to be changed see this post from Gjon: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ing-of-RF2-files?p=33811&viewfull=1#post33811

As for getting rid of rFmod completley thats a bit silly IMO, again (for the thousandth time it seems!) this is a Beta, any feedback we can give to ISI about how to improve the game as a whole (including the rFmod package area) will no doubt be welcomed by ISI themselves and maybe changes made accordingly thereafter. SO instead of throwing your toys out like some have done, give constructive feedback like others have done and everyones a winner...probably!

16. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

So nobody knows how to update a component embedded in a package for the 1st version?
    Do i have to put all the mas files or just the one in which are the assets that i modified ?

Well, this tool does'nt seems to works predicably, i switched between mod paths, installed a new component and then everything is flagged as not installed... al right i will wait till this is sorted out...

17. dano1990

dano1990 Registered

If ISI can improve it im sure it would be highly welcomed by everybody, but as things stand at the moment i think its just way to complicated getting cars and tracks running together without causing online mismatches.

For example has anyone here managed to get Spa66 working with the meganes mod without using all cars and tracks and without online mismatches?

If the answer is yes... Would that person then be willing to write up a detailed step by step guide so everyone in the community can understand how its done?

I just think as things stand at the moment the workload is too high. And for us non modders its just way too complicated at the best of times.

Maybe if ISI implemented what was suggested above where specific tracks dont have to be written into a mods rFm file so like in the rF1 we can use our favourite mod on our favourite track without having to edit all these files or create new ones and without getting online mismatches.

18. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

the problem is i get many offline mismatches...

19. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Please explain how?

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

ModID's generated on the fly by server would solve these problems and it was mentioned by ISI staff that it may be implemented.

An alternative would be to bring ModID's one level down and instead of one ModID, server would send a list of required packages (ID's for cars and tracks).