Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dano1990

dano1990 Registered

This is what i was trying to get at K Szczech, I think this would be a much easier way around the mismatch problem.

Aslong as the server supplied information somewhere of where to get the cars and tracks from.

2. steve30x

steve30x Registered

If they are going to keep the rfmod file thing then I think they hould make it possible to install it from any directory instead of having to wade through the computer just to place the file into the packages folder or put the packages folder in the rfactor2 install folder.

3. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Heres my Idea for the mod system. Bring back the simple way of doing it.

4. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

New IDmod system is OK, only one thing should change.

Cars shouldn't be assigned to tracks.

5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

+1

a simple solution is a double id check in the servers:

-MODID
    -TRACKID

in this way tracks and cars can be indipendent.
    it will be the best solution.

6. NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r Registered

my idea would be to do away with the client side RFM files in multiplayer and have the server transmit the needed RFM info upon client connection and then after an ID check is ran on the components, this way as long as you have the components you don't need to have every RFM variation under the sun installed on the clients.

I really like the idea behind the packaging system, but the current implementation is a head ache.

7. DavidG

DavidG Registered

+1

For someone who doesn't play online and who constantly tinkers with mods, the new system is a massive PITA.

8. ethone

ethone Registered

I wouldn't outright remove "rFmod". But as KS said, we need to either separate CarID and TrackID or let rF2 dynamically create car/track combinations we get to race like rF1 allowed us to.
    Another effect I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that as a track creator, I would have to rely on car makers to include my track in their mod or on anyone interested in running my track creating their own mod file to put my track in with whichever car they want to run on it. I feel like I am required to either suck up to car creators to include my track or resign myself to only leagues with admins putting in the required effort running my track.

There are some aspects of the current system that I think could be useful and we shouldn't throw it all out for the (major) issue of combining cars and tracks as we please. The version control it allows and the clarity on what is required to join a given server would be improvements on rF1, even if I can't see how they would get rid of mismatches.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

10. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

11. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I agree with this, seems like a good solution.

12. ethone

ethone Registered

What, a generic post on "we know it's not perfect" means everything is under control?

I'll agree that everything's under control when I see a post detailing on how the improved system will look like and if that system actually addresses the issues that have been pointed out.

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

this is the part i dont get with Scotts post...

if it was one of the biggest complaints it was from a minority of people...the majority of people run in leagues and mismatches rarely happen in leagues and if they do its 99.9% of the time because the driver hasnt prepared themselves well enough...atleast if you got a mismatch you could join the room still and find out what or where to go to solve it

14. ethone

ethone Registered

A mismatch happens when User A doesn't have the same content Server B requires. Anything that doesn't make Server B push that content to User A/make User A automatically download that content will mean User A gets a mismatch message.

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@Ethone..if your post is directed at me i know what a mismatch is lol

my point is that to take away "One of rFactors biggest strengths" for the sake of a minority that get enough mismatches that they feel they need to complain about it...is absurd imo

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah ok maybe not under control, but the post is directed to the packaging system so relative to this thread and states what everyone needs to know.....that at least its in their thoughts.

17. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

+1

"Please do not distribute in any other form. "

Well, somebody did, if Putnam can be found in Online Servers... i think releasing track or car mods for public now is way too early as it's still in beta form and things can change.

Mod makers, tease us with videos until beta ends and "full version" is released, were used to wait here in isi forums!

ISI wont store or manage any mods only the mods ID:s are tracked and maintained.
    The concept is still in it's infancy so bare with it and keep giving feedback and ideas for ISI.

18. ethone

ethone Registered

It was in addition to yours. Even with the current system you wouldn't get rid of mismatches. If you don't have the tailor-made rfmod the server used installed, you're out of luck. You don't have the current version of the mod installed, you're out of luck.

19. Ricoo

Ricoo Registered

This beta was intended to be for modders... not releasing mods now would not be very efficient to test mods...

20. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

+1

At the end, I think it would be like this.