Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. michael1

michael1 Banned

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

It also needs to be in place to scare of the average punter, if they have the mindset that they could get caught then it will detter people from even thinking about cheating.

FPS games are a total diffrent kettle of fish, they have always have had a huge amount of cheaters, the amount of hardcore cheaters in rfactor is low, but the amount of average punters who have heard how easy it is to cheat on rfactor has opened up a can of worms, curiosity killed the cat and thats whats happening to rfactor.

3. michael1

michael1 Banned

but most cheats on rfactor 1 are not that good cant realy do much but the diffuser hack is like 5 seconds a lap

4. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Ive tested cheats that will give you how ever many sec per lap you want, so i would say they are somewhat better than good...

5. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

This I won't argue... but it needs to work.
    Edited by grammar police

6. michael1

michael1 Banned

anything is better than standard mismatch am sure something will be done but we dont want to delay rfactor2 i would be happy to sit hear allday fishing out cheaters

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I follow this thread on a regular basis and one thing has not been mentioned yet: The sheer paranoia that rises from topics like this.
    On one hand the idea that there are cheaters out there and that it seems so easy in rfactor could make one 'see' cheaters everywhere.
    Ive been gaming for decades and allot of the times when u are abit better or more skiled then others you are authomaticly labeled as a cheater.
    Paranoia can spoil it just as easy as actual cheating does.

And on the other hand the realistic assumption that they are indeed out there, in your league, sneaking in that few extra thents or seconds without getting caught. That alone wants me to give up simracing all together to be honest. its most dissheartening.
    To think that in the years we have been battling in championships, fighting for position, practising our asses off, shaving hundreds of seconds of our pb's, dealing with penalties, extreme competition and when lucky winning races and even championships.....
    For me cheating in simracing is even worse then those wallhack kiddies, infinate ammo bastards, autoaim dudes, thats just sad but you can live with it, in fact its even fun to teamup against those people and force them to leave a server as they are beeing bullied beyond frustration. or just ignore them as there are plenty of non cheaters arround as well.
    But in simracing, 00:00.200 is a big deal. 00:00.500 is huge deal , let alone the seconds. There simply is no competition anymore is there.
    Its hard enough to prevent drivers from cutting all the time, a massive amount of work go's into that every season.
    The idea alone that there would be cheaters in the league i'm in, makes me just wanna dump my wheel in the trash can and join my nan's nitting group.

So for me the conclusion would go something like this: i either give up, or i dont even want to know.
    I'm pretty positive i dont like either one of those options.

Help us out ISI, try your best!

8. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

It shouldn't take ISI too long to build the basics of an anti cheat system - hopefully they've done it already. I think online login like Battlefield series is good idea as it's another deterent because if cheat is caught they would have to buy new game to race online again. In terms of updating anti cheat system, well I would make it automated i.e. check and update if needed after logging in.

I wish ISI would make announcement on their site about anti cheat measures because cheating in rF1 has really shaken the confidence in the series of a lot of drivers I know. If people see how cheating has been addressed in rF2 and in detail, this will make people feel more confident about buying rF2. There's nothing more damaging than a customer buying something to find out whether something has been done or not and then finding out that that something hasn't been done - hard for developer to come back from that and regain confidence and popularity.

If ISI don't make some kind of announcement and celebrate a new online/anti cheat system, well can only assume it's fire and forget and only a little better than rF1 which for me is not good enough. In fact if no announcement is made I won't buy rF2 straight away and instead wait and see what others say. As you can imagine, if everyone did this pre-order sales and initial sales would be significantly reduces.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
  9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I have one proposal related to this topic - server side user accounts.

Quite simple - a nickname, and user's private password or secret keycode stored on server. User could have these stored in his .plr file.

Currently, even if you find someone cheating in rFactor (or just behaving badly on server), there is still a problem with verifying his identity. He could just typed someone else's nickname and "have some fun" on that person's account.
    Nicknames are known to everyone, so they are most easy to duplicate. Passwords or keycodes aren't.

Additionally, with server-side accounts, you would not need to protect your race sessions with password - just edit list of allowed users on server.

A key would be better than password, because it could be automatically generated from game's serial number, therefore preventing the same person creating multiple accounts in one league.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
  10. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

Sometimes need to race under different name though. I would ban anyone caught cheating from racing online with that serial but allow user to create different online accounts. Impersonation is different issue, probably something only league can sort out - got to be a real looser to impersonate another driver and I don't think it's enough of an issue to force preventing people from creating and using different user accounts online.

If server decides to ban user, that user's serial should be banned not just their current user name.

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Leagues have rules. Where you have rules, you will always have some unhappy people. These people can do weird things calling it "a form of protest".
    So yes, leagues need a way to truly identify user - not just by his nickname, because nickname is easy to duplicate by others.

As for non-league racing - every server has it's admin anyway and it would be good if he could ban some users without having to worry they'll come back with different nicknames.

So a keycode generated from CD key would be best I think (there would be no way to translate keycode back to CD code, so no one would steal other peoples CD keys).

12. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

There is a solution to cheating but it won't come in the form of some added on piece of software alone.

The question I have is how much are you willing to spend to race in a league where no one can cheat?

Is $25 a year too much?

If it is, would you rather race with others who you suspect may be cheating?

13. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I would like anyone out there who is up on cheats and or hacks to host, or join a rFactor session with me and show me a hack...pick the mod and track so I can visually see it with my own eyes these ram cheats etc... PM me to set it up.

14. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

I know leagues where they use anti cheat measures and admins cheat! Only ISI can do a proper job of it, they are the professionals and know their game.

Doing a very good lap in rF1 is difficult, for sure requires a wheel and good pedals, as few mistakes as possible and a lot of skill and technical know how. The cheats I know would lock up often and drive all over the place like an amatuer. Of course they can make any physics alterations they like, some quite good drivers would only need to make a tiny alteration to beat everyone else - these are the hardest to spot. What's funny is you end up getting cheats cheating against cheats. The whole thing is a joke and some say "it's only a game" well no it's more than just a game if I spend 1K+ or hardware for sim racing. I think that's one of the major buzzes for cheaters as they know they can beat people like me, so pathetic but I'm quite sure some of them were a bit freaked by how much they had to cheat to beat me and a couple of my friends.

If ISI want to create a monthly subscription for online racing to fund an active anti cheat system, I would be 100% alright with that as would many others.

15. michael1

michael1 Banned

yes an me cost me about 1k in hardware then driving perfect some 1 driving with cheatos and a keybord drivers past me swaying left and right all over the track laping 3 sec faster

16. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Anyone take me up on my offer?

17. michael1

michael1 Banned

ill do it for u use isi BMW2007 f1 car every1 must have that and a track you get with rfactor u pick it i will come on do a normal lap then i will use cheats on the second run

18. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

Good thing I usually finish last in the league I run....

Here are a few of the types of cheats I've seen...Mostly Ram Cheats.
    Increased tire grip.
    Increased HP.
    Reduced drag.
    Collision elimination.
    Autodrive even when its turned off by the server.

I'm sure there are other ways too.
    Where people are looking to some software solution, I've found another thats quite effective.

19. michael1

michael1 Banned

http://www.hostilecontact.com/news.php use this has a good anti cheat

20. michael1

michael1 Banned

what did you think Dave i did spa in a 1m 35sec