Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. michael1

michael1 Banned

Stupid??? prob the best Q in this forum are you a hacker because if you were not you would be all go for stopping cheaters. i dont want rf2 to be destroyed by common ram cheaters like rf1 was.

2. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello

Micheal Wrote:
    Well I/We are admins for a racing league so we rent to avoid lag
    and the server is 24/7, And we run 2 divisions and plus we have big main events 4 or 5 times a year.
    Like this Monday we race at Lemans for 1 hour 30 min and we have almost 40 guys signed.
    So you need a big server for all of the above.
    Rfactor has great code no doubt about it but a high home connection will not cut it.

Ruben M.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He wasn't responding to your post.

4. michael1

michael1 Banned

oh o well sory to MaXyM for my mistake i thort he ment the ram cheat post lol

5. michael1

michael1 Banned

/?

6. endonesia

endonesia Registered

The single biggest issue for me at the moment, is what are we gonna do about the damn cheats!! In my small community we've had 2 now in the last year and a half. It's almost ruined simracing for me now, the thought of losing championships to cheaters...

And to you all who say that it's not a problem in your league... well, I feel sorry for your naivety... if you run a league, I can promise you that you're going to have to deal with this sooner or later. I don't care how upstanding you THINK the people are you race with, its inevitable. And it's becoming more prevalent.

The true problem is, that when the cheaters are good at it, it's almost imperceptible. Only many years experience with rFactor on a daily basis can give you the gut intuition it takes to spot anomalies, and most people just don't have that. Even then, it took almost a full year for us to catch on to the first one, because of our ignorance. I mean, all it takes is a tweak to the diffuser and they gain whatever time needed. Or hey, how bout a race with 1 liter of fuel and no tire wear on the softest compound! The way I understand it, the cheats are even adjustable on the fly during the race, you can back it off and increase some of these values at leisure! :eek:

Also, you have to have hard data to call someone out, or at least a replay which shows completely unrealistic sector time, compared to the fastest guys optimum sectors. So far, this is how we've had to do it(F1 series), by observing a drivers whole race laptimes, and analyzing the fastest sectors and comparing them on a merged replay versus the other quick guys... even a really great driver will slip up in a 50 lap race, and get greedy and overuse the cheat. This is very cumbersome, imo.

We are now going to use Tyka Anti-Cheat client, but I question how effective this truly is. And from what I can tell, only some of the best leagues out there have their OWN custom anti-cheating tools, and they're not sharing. What are we gonna do? So far, this thread says 'Nothing', and some of you still underestimate the reality of the situation.:confused:

I'd really like some info from ISI, surely this has come onto their radar, too. Surely, some staff race among us. And if it hasn't, well consider this a report from the field - If continued unchecked and allowed to fester, this has the potential to ruin online simracing.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Mate, I'm not sure anyone said it wasn't a problem in their league, I agree with your sentiment if they did. The point I was making is that it's less likely to happen in a league, because there's more for a driver to lose (vs a public room).

What you seem to have realised, though, is that it can never be stopped. ANY system can be circumvented if enough effort is put in - and while leagues having their own tools and refusing to share might be frustrating, that's actually one of their best defences against people beating the system (if 10 major leagues have the same system... well... you can see where that's heading...)

Same goes for ISI. Of course it would be good if the game itself makes it more difficult for average joe to get an unfair advantage, but any game-wide system is more prone to being broken than custom ones. So while I support most (all?) of the existing exploits being fixed, I see no reason for them to spend months working on a system that the average user is no more likely to break than a simpler one - and in the end will be broken nearly as quickly by someone who really knows what they're doing.

At the end of the day, it's a game. If people get a kick out of cheating, good luck to them.

8. Of course there is cheating in any games but I don't believe rF1 was destroyed by cheaters! It was a great success!
    rF2 will be much better! Can't wait for pre-order process!

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

it is the same as the blown diffusers in real f1 eg redbull and mclaren are pulling alot over the rest of the cars were as schumacher is the only driver to be on the throttle again as he enters the corner is like a human version but not a cheeto pluss ram cheat only works on tight and twisty tracks and topspeed is afected .To be honest i have entered a few online races with the diffuser cheat to test it and no pilot on the server will no they just think your the best driver in the world. with out naming any leauges i entered 1 were people we telling me no1 can beet the admin so i did lots of laps good set up @ spa 1:44s faster than all drivers but the admin in the race form 2nd on the grid i used the cheats the admin was still faster pulling 1:42s at spa on a full tank so then i used full cheats and the diffuser pulled the car to the floor at speed sparking everywere and i get a nice flexing front wing look now as the car gets closer to the floor i am doing 1:42s. when the admin pits comes out just in front of me he is the same as me down on the floor sparking everywere like me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
  10. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

I think it has slowly been destroyed by cheats. If there is even a little doubt as to whether some drivers are cheating it casts an entire shadow over any league. If you put all F1 drivers in the exact same car they would probably be within 0.5s of each other, once an experienced driver has put the practice in there is no one driver that can consistantly stand out amongst the rest. Setup is important of course but you'd have to be real dumb to make a setup choice that results in a driver being significantly slower than another. Slightly bad setup and slightly less skilled driver might result in 1s slower, of course a rookie may be 2 or 3 seconds slower and this is where confusion creeps in.

I've been in a league where even the admins cheat. To begin with I wasn't sure and accepted that they must have put the time and effort in. But after many races I was 100% sure I was racing against 2 or 3 cheats and that's the problem with cheats, it takes almost an entire season to figure out if there are cheats. I've raced in other leagues with maybe 10 or so fast guys and we were always swapping positions nearly every race for both quali and race, in the last league I raced in I was consistantly beaten and always by a little more than I was willing to believe and I was even beaten when others had loads of ballast which is what convinced me 100% because I know from making EOAA GT how much of an affect weight has on lap time. And then later on I met someone who showed me how to cheat and it really was very easy to do, simply change a couple of physics values and you're away.

I believe it is possible to prevent most cheats and ISI really need to put a cheating system in place - there is no reason why they cannot. It may be possible for a small handful of people to cheat but it ought to be really difficult for them to do so and certainly not the kind of thing that most people would be willing to do. That's the problem with rF1 cheats, it's so easy to do it. An anticheat system is vital for a racing sim, if the playing field is not level well many will come to the same conclusion i.e. "no point racing this any more".

11. LCS

LCS Registered

There is a good anti-cheating system. Use it 14 leagues on the world.
    Google for ECU rfacting.

12. michael1

michael1 Banned

The ecu is a good idea but not all drivers use it so is still unfair we need something that monitors all drivers in a race not 1 to 4 drivers out of 20 odd drivers.were as eg tyka has all the drivers in a race as soon as they enter the server.

13. LCS

LCS Registered

The ECU is used by all drivers that administrators decide. No limits. However there are administrators who, under pressure from pilots, decide to put selectively. But that is not the fault of the system.

Besides real-time monitoring, has historical and alert you to the "ECU" communities about the pilots cheaters.

14. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

We shouldn't have to rely on community to develop anti cheat system, it's too important for ISI to leave it to community and besides community won't do as good a job of it and it may take many months for community to develop an anti cheat system. You know, if there is no anti cheat at all I might not even bother buying rF2 as there will be no longevity in it for me. ISI need to announce their plans for anti cheat system to reassure customers, if they say nothing at all and don't make it like big news - well got to assume it's same as rF1.

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

i bet you do...

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

17. michael1

michael1 Banned

rfactor simulates the real world as in real racing we have people cheating what we need in rf2 is like in f1 they use the fuel map and blown diffuser to gain time on a lap is the same as using ram cheats if not identical but is not a ban for the teams using this but a warning.I think a system to identify people cheating so they can be warned or named and shamed befor a total ban. charlie whiting is not going to ban redbull or other teams for cheating but if they are at a loss at silverstone then they will stand out and everyone will know.

18. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

Ban is only something league can do, nothing to stop cheaters creating new name and joining another league or joining public servers. If cheat is detected, well there could be option in server "Boot cheats" or "Name cheats". Personally I would only have one option, boot because cheats are worthless pieces of scum and don't deserve to be given time of day and I don't give crap who they are and IMO they don't even deserve second chance.

There is one cheat that is activated whilst connected to a server. Alt-tab to desktop, change physics stored in RAM and alt-tab back to game.

Now then, there is issue of making patches to rF2 for new cheat detectors. Possibly ISI ought to be build there own independant client which is installed and run seperately from rF2 or could be installed when rF2 is installed but also downloaded. If they only use the in-game client well I fail to see how they'll be able to update the client with new cheat detectors.

And I honestly won't be buying rF2 if I don't see cheat detection. I've wasted too much of my time in leagues so I need reassurance that cheats are being detected and booted. I will play iRacing instead when new tyre model comes out. I only race online so without cheat detection there is simply no point racing rF2 online and believe me I would be real disappointed because I'm ISI fan and I can see a heck of a lot of work has gone into rF2. Maybe they could work with an existing client like Relay http://relay.dynip.com/ but again it should not be left to community, ISI needs to step and take active control.

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

20. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

Cheating in rF1 is so easy that anyone who even slightly condones it or tries to dismiss it, is probably a cheat! It's not a question of "if there are cheats", I know some of the cheats and have tested them. Cheating in games is massive issue, most other developers take it very seriously indeed - come on ISI get with the program!