rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kruppi

kruppi Registered

Will it be possible to save telemetry-data -- like the DAQ-Plugin for rfactor 1 does , hopefully better -- for analyis with MOTEC and the like?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rFactor 2 won't do Motec logging. (see Motec's user agreement for why I'm confident) If you take a look around you might find some alternatives to the DAQ plugin, whether they do what you're looking for I don't know.

I also don't know what rF2 will have included as far as telemetry goes, we'll find out at some point I'm sure :)

3. Jeffo696

Jeffo696 Registered

Hell, so you put a new screen or not? Sometimes I feel that leadership is dead, please communicate this because you do not make a good name. If you compare the ISI vs.. SimBin, SimBin is so much further in promoting media, work progress, etc., etc. ...:confused:

4. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

You´re kidding, right?:rolleyes:

Please, don´t start a ISI vs Simbin flamewar. Thats not the right place here for that.

5. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

trolling is useless

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

How about a webcam in the ISI dev offices.. Something connected to a loud speaker so everything typed in this thread can be spoken directly to them..

Nasa does it. http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl

Edit, I presume Gjon makes all the dev's where full white protective suits while coding as well.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

what about toilets? ;)

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Bathrooms are only for coders that finish their work and go home. Still working, then hold it.

9. shum94

shum94 Registered

Last media was 18 february
    Last update was 25 march

We're in May what's up ? Or you stopped developping or promote the software you're supposed to release this year...

10. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

You made my day!:eek:

11. Krazyrider

Krazyrider Registered

I am glad to see improvement on the FFB and the brainless AI in rf1.
    I enjoy racing F3 because they are more manageable on a sim PC game, require less setups and still lots of fun, and hope to see this mod with a good engine included by ISI in rf2.

Some basic questions:
    Will there be good documentation on setting up the wheel in the game controller and inside the game? This is fundamental.
    How about a document on the various files and what parameters can be tweaked with a good explanation of the parameters?
    Will the FOV hve seperate horizontal and vertical adjustments?
    Should there be a built-in telemetry and as I'm not an engineer, will there be some kind of 'hints and tips' on setting up a car? I tried using Motec but still have no idea what to modify, especially the suspension. A good setup is crucial and any kind of assistance would be extremely helpful in having an enjoyable race. (I tried to follow various docs out there which proved little help)

Thanks for the great work and looking forward to see rf2 released.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

he's back! :D

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

For me there's only rFactor. I would be already on something else if i was convince.

I miss simracing and i really expected rF2 in the first semester of 2011.

14. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I don't post here much, and fully support ISI in their development of this game, but it would be really nice to get some more media. I come back to these forums every week hoping for a new screenshot or video, and every week I am disappointed. Still can't wait for the final game though!

:(

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A lot of it is also dependent on the device used, so not really up to game makers to explain to you (and not possible in some cases)... as for the game settings, I think that leads to your next query:

There needs to be a balance between documenting what everything does, and making it all work properly in the first place (with enough time they could probably do an excellent job of both, but since rFactor isn't their main/only project I can't see it happening)... I'm pretty sure the community will very quickly work out most of it, hopefully ISI can respond to any lingering questions after that.

Umm... that would be a waste of time. Unless you actually want things to go out of square, the ratio between horizontal and vertical FOV will be dependent on your screen ratio. A 16:9 screen will have a horizontal FOV somewhere around 1.77 times that of the vertical FOV (16/9=1.778; off the top of my head I don't think the relationship is completely linear). When calculating and setting it's either one or the other, and while some games set the horizontal rFactor sets the vertical... you're not missing out on anything.

The rFactor manual covered the basic setup stuff, I'm pretty sure the 'various docs' out there cover most of everything else. By the time you get into suspension tweaking (especially dampers) in Motec you're entering territory where there are as many opinions as... well, people, and then the mod itself will start to dictate what's good and what's not too. I do agree some of the more basic could be included in the game and would make less complex mods, or the simpler setup, a bit easier to do, but I also wonder whether the GUI might be a bit more flexible and allow people to add that sort of thing themselves (as add-ons)

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Well, yes and no :) Some things can be reasonably quicky discovered by community, but some things require documentation.

If you want toachange some gear ratios or engine output - you really don't need documentation - you see that in files.

But what if you want to write a pligun? There are several types of plugins that can be written for rFactor, but ISI provided necessary files for only one type of plugin (internals plugin). What if you want to make a tool that works with VCR files or GMT files?

You need specifications for this kind of stuff, and you can't do it without ISI's help.

How much value good tools have for modding community I don't have to tell you :) 3DSimed is still missing some usefull rFactor's features and it's been in development for years. Good documentation on file formats is a kick-start for any tool developer.

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I agree you don't need both horizontal and vertical adjustments. All you will end up doing is skewing your view and adding more math to the situation. See arma2.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVAQVjvAuZk&hd=1

It wouldn't be terrible if rFactor2 just showed you what your horizontal and vertical were. Calculating for vertical is the superior method.

What I would like is the ability to set up permanent overrides for most of the settings located in .cam files.

LocalCam=COCKPIT
    {
    Fov=(20.50000, 20.50000)
    Clear=FALSE
    Color=(164, 218, 249)
    ClipPlanes=(0.17500, 500.000000)
    LODMultiplier=(1.00000)
    MipmapLODBias=(0.000000)
    Size=(1.000000, 1.000000)
    Center=(0.500000, 0.500000)
    Flags1=(0)
    Flags2=(0)
    RadiusLimits=(0.000000, 0.000000)
    OrientationRate=(35.000000, 35.000000, 25.000000)
    PositionOffset=(0.0000, 0.0000, 0.200) //(Left-Right, Up-Down, Back,Forward)
    OrientationOffset=(0.0500, 0.0000, 0.0000)

Radius=(0.000000)

The FOV is obvious. And wouldn't need to be changed if the in-game setting went lower then 35°

The Position offset is per car but the ability to override and adjust the placement in-game and save that adjusted position to the car's cam would be very useful.

Lastly the OrientationOffset is extremely important to have the ability to modify. Not so much the roll or yaw but the pitch (first value) determines the Horizon Line and that is NOT up to the mod maker to set. Thread on Horizon Line.. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/723-Horizon-Line-You-re-doing-it-wrong

I will post this again as I think It covers what should be asked when someone is setting up their rFactor2. [​IMG]

18. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Forgive me if this has been answered, but will this simulator allow stuff like wave-around passes during cautions, race starts that are 3 or more cars wide (and configurable), which line is the inside line on a per-track basis, and double-file shootout style restarts?

19. kruppi

kruppi Registered

Telemetry

Okay, but maybe it will be possible for a third party (like myself) to develop a Data Acquisition Plugin similar to the one for rF1? Plain CSV would do for me, the proprietary Motec .ld format wouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  20. DeDios

DeDios Registered

+1
    Telemetry is really important for me; i use it a lot in rF1, so i hope will be something similar to Data Acquisition Plugin. I spent many hours to build a proper MoTeC sheet :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.