Le Mans Ultimate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeV710, Jun 5, 2023.

1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I do think LMU shows great potential. The question of follow through and longer-term development looms large in my mind. Will it expand or will there be spin-off series using LMU as a platform?

I think the handling, tires, and FFB are very much like rF2 (S397 content). Graphics and audio bring good improvements and the UI seems to work nicely overall. Still, lots of wrinkles to be ironed out, but as expected being in early access.

I find the GTE / LMP2 handling and FFB to be very good although, I do feel the sense of front grip to grip-loss (in FFB) is not optimal as some cars feel in rF2. The Hyper-cars have some obvious issues with ffb and handling, enough to keep me from driving them for now.

While I've had some very good offline (AI) races when limiting classes to GTE + LMP2, issues definitely become quite obvious with the inclusion of the Hypercar class. AI tend to crash into my car, even if I make sure to give them plenty of passing room. Their ability to detect my car does not mesh well with the overall disparity of speed.

As far as rF2 goes, I don't see it getting much more development (if any), largely due to issues related to breaking mods. In the case of rF2's architecture - sadly, I fear modding may be the double-edge sword that ultimately causes abandonment of further development. I'm happy to be proven wrong, though. :)

MikeV710 likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Commonly seen on LMU forum/discord:

"I know this is early access, but ..."

And there you have another reason to reconsider a career in game development.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

Looking at the steamcharts data, peak player counts have stabilized in the respectable 2500 range. Still very much a European time zone game as the player count drops by a lot during the Americas prime time zones.

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

SimHub Dash. (Very usable for LMU).
    I use this dash on an Android phone with LMU and it works very well. The two side sections can display various information by tapping that section, it may take several taps but it does work. It also has radar built in which shows the sides and distance the car is behind. This dash works with rF2 and other sims quite well. This is the only dash I ever use. Good for people asking for radar.
    Link.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/universal-dashboard.56792/updates#resource-update-112676

5. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thank you all for you´re reply´s/feedback!

Overall I pretty much feel the same. I am really enjoying It although I did have a launch Issue. My only "minor" grips right now are the flag display Inside the Porsche which I find to big and obscures left corner ahead awareness, and I feel that the hybrids feel a little floaty on track. Some UI pages could use a rework, scrolling up and down the page Is a bit archaic In my opinion, but that´s why we have EA right now.

Other then that It feels great and looks real nice to me. Can´t understand what some say about the graphics, but hey to each their own! As Is, LMU Is very addictive! To bad I have a arm Injury and I can´t drive for to long, but I would very gladly spend all day on LMU. Hope to see BMW soon along with other official cars and tracks.

BTW, Simagic have added LMU to there SimPro Manager 2 app.

6. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Maximum Wheel Rotation, Potential Problem. (direct input.json file).
    The direct input.json file has two entry's for Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation":1080, the first section seems to record your setting that you set in the FFB section of settings. The second one seems to be a default setting of 900. My own setting that I use is 1080 which was recorded in the first section of the file but the second section of the file was 900. This may have contributed to the problem I was having when I loose all FFB and no working inputs from my wheel. I entered 1080 into the second section of the direct input.json file and I've just run a 1-hr stint without any problems. Maybe there was conflict between the two sections of the file. So may be worth checking your direct input.json file, this can be found here in the player folder.
    Steam\steamapps\common\Le Mans Ultimate\UserData\player
    Hope I've managed to explain this clearly enough.

7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Ten days ago it was a bit rough but 5 patches later its really taking shape as a champion.
    Good move.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's some reasonable feedback that more transparency and frankly trumpet-blowing wouldn't go astray to help LMU's reputation (ie actually talk about the amazing physics). But here's some insight from Devin for those not on Discord:

View attachment upload_2024-3-10_9-7-43.png

And for context, for those lucky enough (in this case) to not be on Discord: some people, not apparently new to rF2, have popped up in recent days constantly complaining about rF2 'dying', LMU should be rF3 instead, LMU is just a reskinned rF2, etc.

MikeV710, pkelly, jayarrbee36 and 3 others like this.
  9. Bidle

Bidle Registered

I loved my first hours with this game. Hope my rig is soon ready again (making a lot of changes).

Maybe a stupid question but is it likely that they will also add LMGT3. Basically the 2024 line-up? That would be awesome, especially if we can drive all cars anywhere. So, for instance that some are not limited to Le Mans.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They aren't locking themselves into specific plans at this point, it'll be a moving target no doubt dependent on how stability and bug fixing goes. But Dan (MSG) has said this for example:

View attachment upload_2024-3-10_10-52-4.png

Worth mentioning that the early access guide and FAQ also don't state how much will be included in the, let's call it, 'early access price'. It seems likely to me there's a little bonus content early adopters will get, raising the price for others, and a full 2024 pack will probably be DLC.

This will no doubt lead to a lot of dummy spitting and tantrum throwing, MSG evil etc etc, meanwhile the F1 series keeps releasing incremental annual updates for full price with crap physics and no one bats an eyelid. But I digress.

I think we can be confident (for what it's worth) Dan and MSG/S397 are aware people would like the flexibility to run mixed content rather than being locked into specific combinations.

11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

The tire improvements were immediately pronounced with the foggy humid morning test of Spa. The grip and transition was unlike anything I've ever felt on a PC before, very realistic for ant track under those conditions. Tire temps are very close to expected.

12. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Another surprise...

Havner, mantasisg and avenger82 like this.
  13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Can you tell us what does he think about it? It’s a very long video

14. Taranta

Taranta Registered

UI needs improvement but excellent effort compared to rF2.
    He started from scratch with the settings and at the beginning the graphics were not enthusiastic then with the ultra settings it improved a lot with a pleasant color palette.
    The sound is decent but too clean and not very engaging.
    FFB nice and communicative, perhaps too much so.
    Excellent AI, better than ACC.
    Remember it's an EA.

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I like how he gets excited and passionate about those moments when car is slipping away for him. Thats where you see the physics most clearly. A dev mindset.

Havner and Rui Santos like this.