Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

First update was 0% trottle position, after hot fix 5% trottle position. Wat is now the original manufacteurs setting?

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This I know better than you it seems. The first update was 1% throttle, the hotfix is 5% because some users had issues getting less than 1% throttle reliably on their pedals.

3. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

You still don't understand what i'm all about. It has no sense. My first question was, why is GT3 DSP different than GTE DSP. Your answer was: it is like that and that's it, I'm right and end of discussion. No evidence, nothing. Only accusation that those, who disagree have no idea.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Jan Titz and Highlandwalker like this.
  4. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

I have been taking a break from simracing over the past couple of months. It may be because of this, and my evolving understanding of car handling but GT3 feels better than ever.

Sense of control is awesome (even the errors I make are not coming out of nowhere), I can feel the grip limit, front or rear sliding and by monitoring tyre temps, it's easy to adjust setup and driving inputs.

AI is capable, no more strange spins and erratic movement as before. My only two notes:

* Mercedes AMG is still a second slower but at least they can go the distance. In two races, Porsche cars had a tendency for errors and finish in the bottom but it may be random.
    * My tyre wear is high, 1.35% vs the average of 1.10% at Ibarra (me on medium, AI on soft!), 2.5% vs average of 1.4% at Botniaring. I had 40% front tyres left by the end of a 30 min race which is problematic for my long term enjoyment of rF2.

5. instinkt

instinkt Registered

BECAUSE shift protection is software and irl these settings are different for factory car and between multiple GT3 series running around the world that's why in ACC it looks different to the rF2, both of them are accurate

Andregee likes this.
  6. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I bet it's not realistic for rFactor2 with the GT3. Allegedly, the manuals of the manufacturers describe that no throttle input can be given during the upshift . I strongly suspect that this has been confused with the Autolift function, because the ECU stops the fuel and or ignition supply when shifting anyway, so that a manual operation is not necessary at all.
    Besides, this only makes the cars unnecessarily slower since in certain states it only brings unnecessary delays and where the manufacturers fight for even the smallest lead, complain about the BOP, etc., they will not make the cars unnecessarily slower with useless nonsense.

Maarten Nauta likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Read all the posts again. I just did. No one said that to you.

None of us, that I'm aware of, knows how these things actually are. Do series have their own rules on this? Are these cars aligned with a series? I don't know.

You mentioned the hotfix, and yes, it changed from 1% to 5% throttle allowed. This makes nearly zero difference when driving, it's a 'full lift' if you are applying throttle. S397 said it continues to be realistic, so they're aiming for a full lift. Are they wrong? I don't know.

8. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

I dont particularly know what is realistic but with the exception of straight line breaking these GT3 cars are harder to drive than the GTEs. The rear has a way of coming round suddenly at sections where you expect to have downforce. It reminds me when I was fiddling excessively with brake bias on cars or the ACC Porsche "lift-off" oversteer during early access.

Patrick Schindler likes this.
  9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The truth is that what a stupid discussion can always be reviewed and can be modified and it doesn't matter 0.1 or 5%, but the funniest thing is that when the pedal is given a dead zone it is the same as what the game does, I asked that they did it by default and not have to give it a dead zone, but if you give the pedal a dead zone, the same thing happens, the same thing happens and you can downshift anyway, just to argue for the sake of discussing

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sooo having spent really too long browsing through GT3 onboards with input graphics on youtube (might be better examples in full coverage or other platforms), which as I expected I'm not feeling confident in drawing any conclusions from, I noticed:
    • there is very often a delay between the start of braking and the first downshift, longer than would be my habit certainly. The shifts at times are quite rapid, but the RPM is low to start with so no excessive RPM after the downshifts (this continues to confuse some people, who confuse DSP with some sort of shift-rate-limiter, which it isn't - and the shift exploit was never about the 'machine-gun' nature of shifts, but the RPM achieved)
    • Many videos show zero throttle activity during downshift/braking periods, others show blips. No reliable way to tell if those blips are manual or auto (someone somewhere posted a video showing the driver in white/light clothing, and it seemed there was no throttle pressing when the blips happened - but not with complete certainty, and most videos I've found since are too dark/blurry to tell)
    • I'm basically never seeing any low applied throttle during cornering. Maybe, at one point late in a lap at Nordschleife in a 911, and the throttle was lifted for a downshift, but a single example again doesn't prove anything.

If (note the IF!) the way people drive these cars is different to real life, whether that's because of DSP and/or some balance thing that rewards more throttle for balance, I only hope we continue to develop the car behaviour in a manner that promotes more realistic driving. Probably to some extent there's a limit, as people driving sims will tend to push harder than in real life.

For the sake of trying to end this debate, I hope a statement and any associated required adjustments happen in the fairly near future.

I_Bellett, pilAUTO and r00b Driver like this.
  11. Comante

Comante Registered

People won't drive the car as in R/L because they won't face any consequences for their mistakes. This is not bad, the bad part is when people think their driving is "realistic". In a world where mechanical parts wear and tear, tires cost money and crashing hard the car can end a career or at least can compromise a race or championship with all the money invested, their driving style will probably have a short lifespan.

green serpent and Rui Santos like this.
  12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Should S397 engage with users moved solely by their gut feeling even when some of those users talk very disrespectfully? I've asked myself that question.

S397 has already made a statement by implementing things the way they are. Someone didn't like it, whenever there's any change someone doesn't like it. It's always like that. This isn't exclussive to simracing, it happens everywhere. But while in other fields there aren't references to follow, in simracing, reality should be the absolute reference. Anyway, users reactions are the same, changes cause pain but without changes there's no progress.

Some users are always in attack mode. They don't think there're human beings doing a lot of work and trying to get everything right. They think they know better than anyone because they saw some videos and played some games and now they're experts about anything. And they're going to fight the devil forces that want to destroy simracing by ignoring that knowledge they've acquired. I think that's a real serious issue in this forum and I don't thing engaging with those users would be productive.

tiffarno, davehenrie, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  13. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Registered

You're taking this very seriously?
    Devil forces?
    Holy inquisiton.;)

Havner likes this.
  14. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Some people in here really need to take a few steps back, take a real good look at themselves and ask what is going wrong in their lives that theyre getting so upset over this.

rFactor 2 is a work in progress. Devs are still trying to make this sim better with every update even after the game released 10 years ago.

After playing all sims extensively it is by far my favorite despite its shortcomings.
    Progression sometimes means temporary setbacks, if it turns out the new DSP system doesnt work properly Im sure it will be patched.

Until then either deal with it, drive another car or even another sim for all I care.
    The constant whining and complaining to the devs as if its the end of the world is quite frankly emberassing.

tiffarno, coltair, pkelly and 6 others like this.
  15. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

rF2 and Studio 397 are like a holy grail for some, and if anyone questions something, they are treated like a heretic.

Jan Titz, avenger82 and Andregee like this.
  16. instinkt

instinkt Registered

I've noticed some weird sound issues (again me, sorry :rolleyes:) some of my friends also noticed it
    it feels like engine sound is randomly "throttling" or idk how to describe it
    I used Aston most of time but noticed it on other cars too
    hard to say what's the problem but it not happens every time
    during first tests at Spa I had this then next day it was fine and then on Nords I had this again
    also right after patch I had some sound glitch that significantly muted engine sounds in gt3 and also gte (the only cars I tested then) but after game restart it came back to normal so whatever I guess
    it isn't as much fucked up like Aston and BMW GTE cars where engine sound is just offset and it's driveable but sometimes it works smooth and sometimes it just doesn't

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  17. RoWo

RoWo Member

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/audio-issues-gt3-cars.73693/

instinkt likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know if you misunderstood my post you quoted, but I don't share your sentiments - at least in the way you're communicating them. Would be good if both sides stepped away from the fence IMO.

Simonk likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

GT3 cars have Traction Control and Transmission Protection. But you want, or at least suggest, the possibility of a refund due to S397 adding those features and getting a tiny bit closer to the real cars? The fact those items didn't exist(DSP) or were incompletely modeled(TC) in the past is a more legitimate reason to complain. . They are different compared to what you have grown accustomed to, but they are closer to the kind of car you say you prefer in their present state.
    There are still some users who prefer the old dx9 version of rF2.
    There are still users who prefer the ISI cars like the Marussia or Honda NSX.
    There will always be those who don't like something, especially if it changes. But you don't see S397 backtracking on any of those initiatives.
    We had to learn how to drive rF2 cars in the past, nothing changes in regard to understanding the new tires or the DSP, just one more behavior to unlearn old habits and learn anew what has changed..

20. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Was I disrespectful or is that you don't like my opinions?

I'd like to know how things look like in the side of the fence I'm in, according to you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023