“ are rfactor2 physics broken” video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

https://mega.nz/#!zBJwHZJB!M1dwFiyqOUUOamr1aH-CIzMdiuxE1BGJeoPPlwqjkwY

Slip Angel, want you to try this car, especially you. For others, I recommend it too, as I believe it's a car that now dates to 2012/2013. I was driving the Camaro GT3 and that car feels like it also has the traces of what I would call the old tyre from ISI. Want to know if you feel ISI vs studio 397 shows a difference. I find it more snappy and reactive but I believe it feels a little more rudimentary compared to the ones we now have moddeled by 397.

I also like the sound more ahah. I really wish the tyres skid sound changed for 397 cars.

For those wondering, just head up to ISR forums and find them older cars.

Edited:

https://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0

Try this one too. I'll have a video up with it. This car has some problems with sounds and graphics as it's quite old and probably has conflicts with new graphics versions. Altough just take a look at some of the tyre dynamics. I really like it. You can push it and micro slide, but throwing cars around like a maniac in such race cars I feel is a bit strange in Rfactor 2.
    By the way, it's FWD so I am catching some probably impossible slides because of that, because this car is some snappy guy, when grip falls and when correcting and overcorrecting.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

He did have a oversteer though.
    Rear bias weight bring natural oversteer in any car the manufacturer and setup are actually working to get grip back on rear. Not to mention high speed cornering is also easy to oversteer.
    Porsche cup has limited mechanical grip and not much downforce.
    You can see IRL driver tried to go flat but got some oversteer which he corrected.

3. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Sure.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The 911 GT3 in the game handles a lot like this. The first video going flat-out around that corner is impossible from my quick testing, so there's some setup changes at play. The 1:42.1 isn't anything alien though (or crazy grip) as I'm not very fast and did a 1:42.5 on my third timed lap.

Now I'm not sure it's worth adjusting the setup to allow the back to stick like that just for the sake of trying different applied steering to see what happens. I may though.

*(also possible I've managed to grab the wrong car.. I dunno, not very familiar with them...)

@Slip_Angel mate, can you tell me which car that first video used? I'm assuming you know...

5. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

But who is GM ? youtuber ? twitcher ?

Might be interesting but completely fail to know who he is, will search...

EDIT : Ok, I found it, I should have been looking for him from the beginning...

I've never seen any video of this guy, so I don't know what he's talking about on ACC. Anyway, his opinion has never influenced mine but the fact that there are so many of us saying the same thing means that either we have the same configuration issues or the game doesn't have the effects I'm talking about when we think it should.

Let's be clear, I'm not saying that we should feel it very clearly in every case and whatever the setup, I'm saying that we should feel it at least a little bit... and there, sorry but I have absolutely nothing, no effect, as if the car doesn't brake, the concern is that to feel what's going on, this effect is required, even subtle it helps and especially when it's not there, we feel like we're not braking, admit that it becomes complicated to stay at the limit if we don't even realize we're braking (well we realize it visually but to flirt with the limit, it becomes complicated).

6. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

The point of that video to show how unrealistic tires can be forced to do stuff in RF2, while IRL such input would have much bigger consequences.
    It is not about laptimes....it is about pointing out the flaw in physics, tire physics.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does it count if you don't know the mod?

(anyway, the idea was to see what happens with different steering angles, and actually check what's going on)

8. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

what mod ? its official porsche cup dlc in rf2. again focusing on wrong aspect. its doesn't even matter what mod, this is tire behaviour in RF2. that is the point.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ah, I see which car now, I don't have it. Ah well.

Do you understand what's involved in making a mod? Do you really think every mod behaves the same, and they all represent rF2 physics? Can that even be a thing?

Oh, nevermind.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Yes this behaviour i have seen in many other official mods because it is core tire issues NOT car specific.

I have seen it in GT cars , in lmp2. I have seen it in YT , i have tested it myself.
    Ofcourse it will be hard time accepting it for people like you.

This issue is tire physics issues, It is not behaving realistically to temperature, slip angel and probably other stuff which i don't know of yet.

This is why setup are exploiting low camber and low wing because tire provides ample grip regardless.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah interesting. I think it could be explained by the fact that tire under braking will have lesser lateral traction. Lesser lateral traction - less lateral force component, which would load up steering rack in the first place.... anyway... could be so, or maybe no. I don't think such effect is essential to control the car or is very certainly unreal....

If by some chance parameters for ACC and rF2 car are very close, then it would be happening because of underlying simulation, if it really works so, then perhaps ACC essentially does not allow tires to combine lateral and longitudinal performance as well as rF2 allows. Which sim is more true, in terms of this particular thing and if these things are legit how it is in these two sims, and if that is controlled by underlying physics and not parametrization of cars/tires - I don't know.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So you're seeing it in recent cars, right? Temperature... that's not part of the physical model. It's TGM parameters. You can make tyres that slide like on ice 1 degree above optimum. Nothing to do with 'core physics'.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  13. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

but issues are there, i don't know where to find them because i'm not a developer.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, I know. You're not a developer, you're not a modder, you don't use telemetry. But you know what's wrong.

15. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I know what wrong with evidence posted And aliens videos and setup as further solidification of issues.
    Your telemetry haven't done anything useful ...nothing. All you are doing is reminiscent of a fanboy, not accepting what's wrong even when flaws are this obvious.

And ofcourse usual suspects backing you up, typical.

P.S ->> Remember when games suck and developers are not doing anything about fault, it is because of guys like you.

16. lagg

lagg Registered

Or could be exactly the opposite.
    Remember that developers are doing nothing to solve the bugs because some people do statements without understanding the system, the mods and without presenting any data that can be proved.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

lol, I'm not even that guy. You don't see it though.

18. Havner

Havner Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/“-are-rfactor2-physics-broken”-video.68348/page-33#post-1056101

I do agree though that the effect is so subtle that you don't really feel while driving normally (maybe a little in GT4), but it's there nonetheless.

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I hope you are aware of the fact, that Henri is driving huge amounts of steering lock with a very high steering ratio. It reminds me of cars in the HistoriX mod with 900 degree rotation. So even if he seems to give full lock, there is very little input, wich can be checked with the input meter. For the car shown in the RL video there is no info about that either so it's pretty safe to say that the input in Henris video isn't the same as in the comparison video. So without further knowledge about car setup it's like searching for the light switch in the dark room. :p

Just wanted to add that as a further point of consideration as you guys seem to be pulling out the pitchforks.

lagg likes this.
  20. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

What I think @Lazza is telling you is that the problem, if it exists (and I don't say it doesn't), comes from the tire file (TGM) and have nothing to do with core physics as you said. If tire is too grippy and too forgiving, it is only a parameter in this file, not a bug withing the game.

I did some laps with ACC as suggested and yes, the car is more punishing (not a lot, it is still very easy to catch a spinning car) than rFactor 2 but I don't know if it comes from tires or from FFB (since I don't feel the loss of grip). I'm not sure tires are more slippery than rFactor 2, maybe a tiny bit but frankly, not that much in any case.

iRacing in the other hand...