“ are rfactor2 physics broken” video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Actually I have almost the same behavior in rF2 and ACC, main difference is FFB, ACC is missing crucial effects like SoP or braking effect so it is harder to "know" what is happening but physics with same car and same setup are very similar. And I was able to do exactly the same over steering trick, with same results (which are bad actually but my FFB is not set to zero).

Bruno Gil likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I could try to explain what's going on here, but I'll probably get one of your usual responses: "just ignore my posts then", "LOL", "people can't see faults in their beloved game", or the quiet play-the-victim "okay".

Tell you what: how about you tell us, purely from a handling viewpoint, what should happen with that steering input at 0:51. Go ahead.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Yzangard What is SoP, and what is braking effect ? I have a feeling it might come from gamermuscle knowledge. And I also don't think that ACC is that much more sharper than rF2 S397 GT3 car anymore, last time I launched ACC it felt like it continued on the same path that they has taken since launch in early release, by continuously making cars handle "better". Can't blame them, steamcharts player number shows that it pays off. But I haven't driven it very much, just few laps with ROWE Porsch around Spa. In their very first realease after hotfix I drove Lambo at Nurburgring for over 50hours that month, next month the paradigm of physics shifted completely, and I was kind of minority that liked initial launch (after first hotfix).

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

SoP = Seat of Pants, to put it simply, it is the fact that during oversteer the front wheels do not slip and therefore follow the intended trajectory while the rear wheels slip and therefore change the angle of the car in relation to the front wheels. You should feel it in the steering wheel, in ACC you don't feel it.

For the other one, it's the fact that by braking the weight of the vehicle is transferred forward, which therefore increases the forces on the front wheels and if the car is turning, you should feel the steering wheel getting heavier...in ACC, I don't feel it at all. For example the big braking on Bathurst in the descent, we go from 280 Km/h to about 100 for 150m and we end up in trail braking and yet, nothing in the steering wheel...physically impossible.

Not feeling these normal effects terribly accentuates the difficulty but this is artificial, we SHOULD feel them, in the steering wheel but also in the seat, of course...in rF2 we feel these effects, which tells us very clearly what is happening and what to do about it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  5. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Wtf?

Do I really need to say more?
    Stop feeding the troll please...

6. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

IMO looking at the input i say following could happen
    The porsche cup is very rear heavy, low downforce and that corner is quite high speed meaning the car will be more easy to oversteer for situation at 0:51 if inputs are bad such as quick steering or abrupt braking.
    So initially i would expect front to bite and rear to lose by looking at his steering input speed (NOT angle)
    But his steering doesn't stop at optimal angle he keeps adding more PLUS his throttle is at 100% at high speed and since it is high speed engine loses its ability to generate wheelspin which could induce understeer and in video it does BUT not as harsh as i would expect.

Many things are setup dependent but most probably i expect a serious oversteer situation for given car characteristics and give conditions of video at 0:51. This will not put car in 4 wheel drift, i'm talking near spin out situation or actually spinning out if driver cannot control it.
    Also one more reason why it should oversteer hard because it is a hotlap setup so it means low wing , low fuel (fuel tank is at front on porsche), oversteery setup etc.

Understeer is also possible (but low chances ) but much more harsh, i expect such input should send the car more straighter trajectory than actually following the line which is what is happening in video at 0:51

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  7. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I think he meant that the guy in his video isn't trying to find the limit at all, he is just blocking the steering wheel abruptly...thus not looking for anything. As Driver61 is explaining, looking for the limit is a smooth and delicate process, in the video the guy is just throwing the wheel and that's it.

8. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

As you said he is full throttling so weight is on the rear, not the front, I don't think front wheel can grip anything given the brutal steering angle induced. That being said, if front tire grip just a little, it is instant oversteer, indeed. But he went so far above the ideal slip angle that there is close to no chance front tire will grip, they may grip when he reduced wheel angle after the turn but then, oversteer is not that sure to happen.

That being said I agree it is "strange" this allows him to follow ideal line, he should understeer imho, and lose speed...anyway, it should not be that easy to do, i tried and didn't manage to do it, surely a setup thing.

Pawel44 and Nieubermesch like this.
  9. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

My bad then. In response to the post Slip_Angel did,
    While what you describe could happen with a bad setup, you are forgetting with the setup you have control over which side slides first. Even ignoring that, if you stab the wheel that fast, you are gonna break the front tires away first than the rear tires, which leads to understeer.
    If you think the footage in the video is not enough understeer, you're not familiar with the track in question

10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Front tire will grip because the steering wheel goes through all the phases anyways, no matter how fast you can turn it. His steering speed is fast but not too fast to go straight to understeer.
    Not to mention he is most probably running hotlap setup so that follows low wing, high front camber, stiffer rear arb, low fuel (especially dangerous in porsche because low fuel mean more rear bias weight) , high rake etc

11. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

So many assumptions...

EDIT: I also wanna add that, because its a Porsche, such a sharp steering input while on throttle will always result in understeer. The front wheels have no weight on them and for them to grab you need to shift weight there and build the tire forces very gradually. Only after the front tires bite can you get the classic porsche tank slapper etc

12. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

educated guess not just random assumptions. Not to mention some of the things i assumed are facts
    Like fuel level affects weight distribution in 911 , weight distribution of 911 is oversteer especially at high speed not an assumption, 911 cup NEEDS rake not assumption.

13. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

It all depends on the pace you turned the wheel ! If you turn the wheel this fast, tire won't have time to grip, mass won't transfer quickly enough to induce oversteer.

For the same reason you must not accelerate too abruptly, or smash the brakes, etc...you have to leave time for mass to transfer, there are springs and dampers that prevent too rapid mass transfer.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  14. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Assumptions nonetheless. And there are many types of education...

Read the edit

15. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I read the edit you couldn't be more wrong about weight distribution behaviour at high momentum situation AKA high speed.
    read my edit as well to help you understand better.

16. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I'm not denying the probability of understeer but after watching thousands of hours of 911 footage i somehow feel understeer would be less probable.
    Also it is a race car ...made to work with fast reactions/inputs.

17. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Man you really have no clue what you're talking about... I'm Done. I'll just ask for you to stop misleading newcomers.

18. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

The Porsche Cup is the car par excellence that requires a lot of smoothness, making such a gesture in a real car is suicidal, nobody would do it in real life. Already because it would mean that we would destroy our tires but also because in the real car, such a movement would not be possible, the steering wheel might be much heavier than in rF2 (especially when we put the FFB very low) and the movement would then be much slower and would certainly induce big problems, including a very likely oversteer.

19. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

a quick yt search to shut you up @Bruno Gil

LOOK at 0:59 .....just as i predicted.

20. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

You are overestimating the heaviness of modern race car steering. Don't push this on FFB , i have already posted a video above, proving my "assumption" (which turned out to be quite accurate)