[REL] GP3 SERIES 2016/2017/2018 2.31

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Interesting discussions here and I'm happy to see a lot of you still deserve attention to it.

Few months ago I explained in detail what, with the new public build (released just a couple of days ago), will be changed in the steering wheel. We are not into a real car and what we feel with the steering wheel is much more important than in real life.

I explained that I didn't change the geometry of chassis/suspensions/steering wheel. The new steering wheel uses the same values of the old one to avoid different behavior and different feeling BUT we have now 2 big differences:
    1. a more "direct", more sensible steering wheel vs. tire's lock
    2. a different ratio and different tire's lock

Point 1, more or less, addresses to a little different driving style, because you need to rotate the steering wheel a little less (few degrees only) to have the same tire's angle in turning

Point 2, without doubt give you the chance to rotate the steering wheel much more than in the past: max = 540 degrees vs. 360!
    I was dubious to apply this value, because of I expected what you are debating Also because I have direct info and confirmations by some GP3 team, that you must never rotate the steering wheel more than 360 degrees, usually max 320 degrees!

Previous builds in fact allowed max 360 degrees, but for realism we have taken the decision to have same values of real life, also because the mod must be used by few GP3 drivers for training. They tested a private build with changes and now the build is public.

A lot of times I also remembered that the driving style is something to take care with the GP3 that are naturally under-steering (also if now the 2018 tires help to reduce it).

And, in fact, to the above points we have to add a third one: the new CPM in use ONLY with the 2018 cars. In details I'm not the entitled people to explain what exactly changes, but the feeling in driving the car is a little different and for sure better than the previous ones.

In conclusion, what I think about the 2018 series that some of you noticed, mainly depends of the fact you can rotate the steering wheel more than before, giving more angle to the tires, with the result that front tires are forced to sliding too much. Keep in mind that a lot of racing cars of minor classes used to stop the rotation of the steering wheel exactly to avoid driver can rotate it too much! In the GP3 it is forbidden BUT one of the MUST DO for drivers is to stop at 320/360 degrees. I'm not saying new tire aren't the reason for what you wrote... but I think not important like what I explained.

It is not a case if in the description of the steering wheel options in the tuning (that usually nobody reads) I added the following sentence: PLEASE NOTE GP3 drivers do not use more than 320° - 360° to avoid stressing tires!

If you have time and wish you can do 3 tests and comparisons:
    - lock rotation of the steering wheel device to 360 and do not allow the mod to manage the steering wheel rotation into the settings of the game. Drive and feel...
    - with same max 360, drive a 2018 car and then drive a 2017 car and you will immediately feel the different behavior of cars... and compare
    - come back to device to set it as usual (900 or more degrees), then check on the mod option to allow management of the steering wheel degrees in game and repeat a comparison between 2017 and 2018 cars

I'm almost sure that you will feel how much is important the driving style: trying to simulate a driving style of a real racing car in braking, turning, playing with throttle without exceeding in rotating the steering wheel.

bwana, marmagas, iev35 and 5 others like this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Slow Motion

As usual the work of Slow Motion Group is impressive, and imposes extremely high modding standards.

We are very lucky to have you.

Why not do DLC ?
    For this quality, it would be crazy to not pay them.

In particular, the last 3 mods made are very good : I would very much like the Palatov to have the new CPM etc.

To put it more simply, the GP3 are really at the same level as the best cars of ISI / S397, ISI / S397 being for me in terms of car modding the absolute reference (apart from a few cars less good): what a feat !!

Is there no T3PA project with S397? It would be a very good idea IMO.

Atsuki likes this.
  3. iev35

iev35 Registered

@Slow Motion thx for your very detailled answer,I understand now.;)

Slow Motion likes this.
  4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Once again I answer: I don't like DLC concept, at all.
    This is one of my hobbies and I did it since years and years ago for my pleasure at first, for learning and for giving my help to the community.
    What I got is to know that people appreciate it and the most of them are respectful of my job; my revenue is to be been able to develop a great mod together the other mates of the group, that did it with the same love.

I wrote using the first person because these are my rules, but I know that main actors of the Slow Motion Modding Group share same feelings.

EDIT, just now Chris "redapg" sent this message to me: i am strictly against DLCs and i, like you, never would participate in the Development of Mods that are made to be sold.
    To avoid any misunderstanding, of course these are our personal opinions and we have nothing against modders that behave differently!!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

And your remuneration will be our immense gratitude.

Slow Motion likes this.
  6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

As supposed, also Pedro Piquet has been added to the official list of GP3 drivers: he did a lot of tests with Trident...

We already planned to update liveries, etc... if more detailed pictures will be available after the event of this week at Barcelona, adding also all suits and gloves.

We hope to release the new build before the next event at Paul Ricard.

7. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Sorry if it's been asked but where do we save the visor? I have found the template but just curious as to where I save? Thank you.u

8. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

The visor is saved in the same directory as the car skin. It is named like the car skin - so if the car is altxxx.dds then the visor is altxxxEXTRA6.dds

9. Mr.Thor

Mr.Thor Registered

Thanks for these great cars. It is a lot of fun to drive :)
    will you bring a template for 2018 wings? the rear wing sides are different to 2017.

10. oppolo

oppolo Registered

Imo these cars are still too easy during braking, i am not telling they are not realistic, indeed you are in contact with real gp3 drivers, but i'd appreciate a little bit more braking torque because now i take more fun from formula renault 3.5 and formula 2 for example. Not a complain only my thought that can be wrong

11. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Thanks for the thoughts. Of course comparing other cars (even other open wheel) may not work, as each car and series is different. So it may come down to what you like to drive, rather than what is realistic or not. But all feedback is useful and worth checking or understanding.

oppolo likes this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

By changing the brake pressure distribution, 0.5 or 1% of "too much" backwards, maybe you would prefer?

13. oppolo

oppolo Registered

what do u mean? my brake pedal reaches 100%, the only thing i can do is 100% of brake power in the car setup
    [​IMG]

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

He means brake balance I think

15. oppolo

oppolo Registered

ah ok, no,also at max rear, braking is easy...and i am not saying it is wrong:)

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Yes brake balance.
    If the mod is not crypted, you can increase the brake pressure with by editing brake pressure (for personal use).

oppolo likes this.
  17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Does current build already contain CPM v2 tires that have QSA point based acceleration fix?
    In Steam's changelog I found :
    - new 2018 CPM tires only for 2018 cars(Michael Borda)"

If yes then it's pretty significant change that can impact handling at high speeds(bigger contact patch - better grip). I suppose it should trigger some other changes/adjustments in physics parameters?

18. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I supposed the sentence was clear (- new 2018 CPM tires only for 2018 cars (Michael Borda)). It means that the 2018 cars use the new 2018 CPM tires developed by Michael Borda with all features he explained in his blog few days ago.

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

OK thanks for confirmation. I didn't expect that you implement/adapt CPM v2 so quickly. I asked some time ago and you said it won't be in next release, but that's a nice surprise! So far there only few cars that utilize new CPM tires (i.e. from third party only Enduracer's mod).
    So you adapted tires from S397 and not used tTool to compile them?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  20. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Rear tires are developed for GP3 on specific official data, by Michael Borda, not by me. Front tires are exactly the same Pirelli tires of another mod in development (like it happens in real world), again made by Michael Borda. If I was me to develop tires, why adding the name of Michael Borda?
    I only produced other compounds and adapted the wear and other values... depending of data we had, editing the realtime section.
    And not so quickly, lol... because one thing is to have public info on development that Michael Borda wrote few days ago, one thing is the time spent in development, test tires, reporting and improving them.
    I hope this can clarify a little bit better everything, also if I do not understand, sincerely, what can change with these info. Differences in driving are very perceptible vs. older tires, aren't them?

Corti, Guimengo and Atsuki like this.