Off-Topic: iRacing's Dynamic Track Surface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guimengo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Those tyres, and probably most, don't have a huge grip drop off at ambient temps. Plus as soon as you start using them they heat up, so you're immediately getting better grip than you had. Opposite of when they're getting slippery because of being hot, and they slide, and get hotter, and slide more, ...

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I always thought the same thing...doesn't seem correct.

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Which sim is better is just as irrelevant as insisting on IRL combos. Who cares? Why would anyone drive something they don't like just because someone says it's better or because it is IRL combo? Makes no sense. It reminds me of people stealing books by downloading illegal copies electronically so they can save $5 and then spend $1000 in time reading it. Doesn't make sense unless you just like to steal.

For whatever reason people simply can't accept sim racing as it's own thing. Why not? Because they are indoctrinated into being a spectator of an arbitrary series because of where they happened to grow up or what their families watched or whatever. Weird but actually not because most people are brainwashed with arbitrary rubbish.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That seems a strange analogy. If it 'costs' you $1000 in time then you either spend $1000 to steal and read it or $1005 to buy and read it. You can save $5 ;)

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree x 10000000000000000000000

I can't help but laugh when someone says "I'm not interested in this sim because there's too many of these types of cars and not enough of these other kind" or "it doesn't have a particular series I like" or "I only like to drive cars from x years/era". Those are gamers, not racers. If the physics are good enough then a racer would drive anything. Of course everyone has preferences of cars they like more/less (same with tracks), but to not drive/purchase some of the very best sims because you have a hard-on over some particular car brand/badge or car-type? LOL! That's pure gamer mentality.

"I never gave [enter racing sim here] a chance, but OMG they just released the [enter car name here]! I better try/buy that sim now!" LOL!

It would be like someone only finally buying a particular first-person-shooter because a particular gun was released.

It would be like somebody not buying a (e.g.) Fanatec CLubsport Wheel v2 because "the only two available wheels have a Porsche badge or a BMW badge on them".

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm just going to point out you agreed (10000000000000000000000 times!) with someone who said "Why would anyone drive something they don't like just because someone says it's better or because it is IRL combo? Makes no sense." and then said:

If F1 2015 came out next week and suddenly had the most complex, involved, and complete physics engine with full 4-6 core utilization powering it, there are some people with no interest at all in F1 who won't play it purely for that reason. You've just said they are gamers, not racers, regardless of what else they may do (which could be nearly full-time racing in rF2 or iRacing or whatever else offers the style of racing they're interested in).

I know (or least I'm pretty sure) it's not intended, but for me this apparent labelling of people with different views is in a similar vein to all the fanboy behaviour and inane arguments you see everywhere, including here. There's a predisposition to seeing an issue, picking a side, and arguing to the death in support of it.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I guess I misunderstood what he said then, lol.

Those people who apparently wouldn't play F1 if it was the most perfect, god-made sim of all time...throw them in a real-life F1 car, or give them a free real-life F1 car with free 24/7 transportation, access, mechanics, repairs, maintenance, etc. to any track in the world...You're telling me those people would choose to not drive the F1 car? Give me a break.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's a bit more enticing than playing a sim :eek:

There are people that love car racing who have very little idea what F1 is and what it involves, just like there are F1 fans with no appreciation at all for oval racing and its various categories around the world. Dirt speedway can be an entirely different world again, rally another.

I know most would be happy to play whatever is good, and most of us here probably fall into that category. The only point I was making is you were putting a label on everyone with barely a moment's thought, when there are quite possibly exceptions you're potentially insulating / patronising. As I said it's probably inadvertent, so I'm not attacking you for offending my 5th-cousin-twice-removed or anything :p , was just making a point pertinent to the discussion about forum behaviour a page or so back.

No harm done :)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree with you on the dirt and oval thing because they're completely different "styles" - almost like a different sport all-together, or a different category of the same sport if you know what I mean. But in-terms of "regular" road racing, I just don't understand how someone could, for example, not like or be interested in RFactor 2, or Aseetto Corsa, or whatever, but then all of a sudden like or be interested just because a Volkswagen is released or something.

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Everyone has a right to like what they've been indoctrinated into LOL

11. Miro

Miro Registered

Wait, what? Oval racing has various categories?
    Like what,..... turn less left, turn left, turn more left?
    And they do oval racing around the world? :confused:

;)

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Depends how old the tires are in the mod really.

Go here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/
    Click 'Date Last Updated' right above the Indy car. The FISI is Jun, 2013 and the MR01 is actually the oldest. No excuse, but there is your reason for some potential failings not seen in newer updated cars.

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

You're a troll, and if you insist to degrade other people for their choices then maybe it's time you get another forum vacation. But I can also look at it the other way round: What exactly are you compensating from your real life that you need to call yourself a "racer, not a gamer" to feel better about yourself in an online forum?

14. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

As I heard it he was saying that the coefficient of friction is a useless concept. Presumably, he's arguing that his mystical modelling of molecular forces and tyre characteristics i.e. physical modelling, is the only way of accounting for changing grip realistically. The trouble is, I'd say that GSCE (ISImotor1) does a better job of car physics than iRacing has achieved at any point since I've had a continual membership in 2009. iRacing is the sim that most makes me wonder what the hell just happened. Everyone complains about all sims' physics of course, but iRacing always feels weird, unintuitive - like not convincingly mechanical behaviour.

The more embarrassing video in fact is the interview in 2010 where he jokes he'll still be working on the NTM a year later. So I don't believe he realises how complex a physical system is to model. I don't believe in the NTM anymore anyway. But to be fair, it doesn't do some of the things that used to be complained about most.

Ironically, their fixed environment laser scanned tracks make for, arguably, the least realistic experience. You can get faster by doing so many laps you unconsciously adjust to the irregularities in the track surface. Whereas in RL, its never the same so that doesn't work. You'll see RL pole laps where they're missing apexes by feet because the best laps on the day are so much down to the seat of the pants as opposed to memorising unchanging details.

I'm still signed up into next year. But to be honest, I've never enjoyed the driving and their business model always feels cynical to me. As though they only address a feature's existence or issue if it's hurting them commercially. And then the PR so who knows when this will arrive.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This isn't the first time you've come on here seemingly just to specifically personally attack me (and in a quite aggressive manner if I may add) but no problem :)

It's not about me, or anyone in particular. If you threw Lewis Hamilton a 1970s VW Beetle and tell him to bring it to it's limits and flog it around a track, do you actually think he'd reply something like "no thanks, I'm not a VW supporter/follower/fan" or "no thanks, I only like cars made before the 70s", etc. etc.? I highly, highly doubt it. That is a racer, while a gamer may say "na, it doesn't have nice enough looking wheels so I'll pass" or "no thanks, it doesn't have a nice enough modelled cockpit so I don't want to flog it around a track pushing it and myself to our limits".

Like I said, of course everyone has their preferences/likes/dislikes, but it blows my mind how some people ignore entire games/sims - that drive amazing - just because there isn't a car with a particular badge on it that they're a fan of, that's just being extremely close-minded and ignorant.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Nice that you remember our previous interactions. Ever wondered if maybe that is because you regularly manage to attack a lot of unspecified people with your broad-brush statements, as in above's example? Last I checked no one here is Lewis Hamilton. Racing cars or series or visuals that don't fit the bill won't make you him, so it's pointless wondering what he would do (and I guarantee you that even he wouldn't want to race a car that's underpowered).

Racing sims are about immersion, about feeling af it it's real. Racing 20 Howstons at Poznan Park doesn't feel real to me. Racing a car from bonnet view because it has an ugly cockpit doesn't feel real either. Racing a full grid of the 2013 F1 season at Silverstone does (and even then I'd rather have the correct billboards up and animated LED flags).

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

People play racing sims for different reasons. It's why some prefer one sim over the other because the one they prefer does the aspect that they're looking for well.

18. FatCity

FatCity Registered

+1
    After all, we are just gamers that like racing games, I use triple screens and a wheel because it makes the game more immersive for me, are guys that play racing games on consoles not " racers " because they use a controller, they are still racing someone else.

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

don't be to quick to put a label on sim-racing ( which may be your own personal motivation) as ...it depends on the person

......to some "sim" racing is just another part of their gaming pass time
    they shot little cartoon men in a first person shooter .....then they crash around a track and feel great that they have beat a bunch of AI controlled cartoon cars

........to others "sim" racing really is an aid or professional extension or part of their real world racing pass activity or an aid to their seriously real world tense competition worries

don't pass it off as one thing to all people , as it is different to different groups of people

technology is here to serve us all, to what ever degree ( software & hardware technology )

for sure we are all not just "gamers" ,
    I personally actually don't really like "games" at all & do not want to waste any time in front of a screen or in my rift looking at cgi & doing pointless things

I do real world track days most months & sim racing (software & hardware ) only exists to serve that as a tool ....& with out the fear of dying , this is why I've invested in a servo wheel + motion platform

( Iracing & rf2 are the only things on my PC...& only for the purpose of improving real world activity, & when possible -occasionally sim virtual tense online competition which at times -can be just as good or even better than real world completion )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015