Real-Life Road-Cars Don't Drive As "Sim-Cade" As Some Of You Want To Believe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Domi

Domi Registered

No vehicle handling thread is serious if it doesn't contain Spinelli's story about his dad's Corolla :)

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hahaha yes, I feel the need to repeat it because it truly was a moment that screamed out at me just how much even "safe", "understeer biased", roadcars can get extremely sensitive and "sketchy" once you get to a certain point of nearing the limits. I, like I'm sure the rest of us, have driven through freeway ramps very quickly before and haven't had this same experience other times because even though I may have been driving fast, I just didn't get close enough to the limit like I did on that day.

[​IMG]

From Robin_NL in the following post (AC version of this same thread) --> http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ome-of-you-want-to-believe.18511/#post-331675

3. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

LOL I do this :D, one time it was damp and on a concrete surface, I got my ford transit work truck to do a little four wheel drift, it was fun and I didn't panic I just controlled the car and went on my way, and I thank rf2 for that ;)

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Post of the day :)

5. Led566

Led566 Registered

Agree on the fact that a sim (any sim) is a sim and the real life is real life: world apart!

But I know three real drivers (formulas and GT, one of them had even raced Lemans 2014 on a Ferrari 458 GTE) who are actually racing a lot online with rF1 AND rF2 and so I believe they are happy with the simulation, otherwise they wouldn't wasting their precious time on the computer.

Me too, I have been in Monza with a Lotus Exige 240R which (IMHO!) compares very well with the Assetto Corsa counterpart, speed, timings, braking points, etc. all this things were very well recreated on the sim.

Then you don't have g's and this is a fact you can't change...

6. Maug

Maug Registered

Please tell me as you seem so knowledgable which driver ISI paid to get them say rF2 is Osom?

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I burst out laughing..! Good one. ;)

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Lol dynamic sky my a$$ :p

9. Maug

Maug Registered

I hate you because i am jealous! ;)

10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

You won't convince someone with no track time on this forum of anything. If this was a tennis simulator you'd have people convinced they could give Nadal a run for the money.

Anyway, not poking at anyone, if the experience is what is read and what was done on the sim (and limited time in a friend's or Dad's ride) then it is simply incomplete or perhaps you have missed your calling. Rather absurd though when someone actually believes they took out a friend's car and was driving it for almost all it was worth and it was easy. Why all this talent is on the internet and this forum instead of making a couple million behind the wheel. Boggles the mind.

rF2 is the best we have for home use (IMHO) and my (real life) braking has gotten much better because of it. Will rF2 make you the top dog at your local track, no, sorry, it won't. If that is your expectation better to stay home and not be disappointed. However, it will help you practice the areas you need to work on without going broke. And yes, a current high performance car is a handful and more difficult to drive than even rF2 conveys.

11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Actually i know some pro drivers ... go figure, i have the previlege to run in a league managed by a former F1 World Champion.

So, i am not talking "per sentito dire" (hearsay), but i have the opposite experience: pro drivers enjoy ISI sims, but their talk has a money value ... usually without money they run the favorite sim in silence, ie without advertising it.

12. traind

traind Registered

I once spun (on a racetrack) my car via too much lift throttle oversteer between turn in and apex. Still, it isn't like oversteer is happening all over the place in a typical road car in dry conditions with no throttle. The throttle is involved in some fashion... even if you are too quickly backing off of it :)

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Wow two months ago you didn't hardly any track time Paul, save for your "friend" letting him borrow his car once. Now you amassed all this skill and track time in what a couple months? Even in race cars now. During the winter months no less. It just gets more believable with every long post. Anyone who disagrees has no experience. Alonso just that bit better? OK...

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That defines rF2 for me.

More then any sim you must drive it near the limit to really feel and appreciate it.

At this extreme AC and pCARS for me become sketchy, blurry .......... rF2 just ever clearer.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This is wrong on so many levels. Your limit, and the laptimes you achieve while you feel the car is on the limit (understeer, oversteer, lockup, etc), may be a "light year" away from what a driver like, for eg., Alonso can achieve.

Just because you felt high gs and heard some tyre squeel doesn't mean you're on the absolute potential limit, you may only be at the limit relative to the way you're driving the car, plus, you may be at the limit just for that moment.

I worked at an F2000 racing school for almost a year. People get tyre-squeel, understeer, oversteer, brake-lock, etc. even when they're 10 seconds off the pace. I'm sure those people probably think they're therefore near the limits as well, and given more time, could find that "last second" or so to match an Alonso.

16. Emery

Emery Registered

The truth is they are at the car's limit, but they're not doing it in the right places at the right times for the right reasons. That's the difference between the slow and the fast.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Bridgestone Racing Academy.

And no, it's more than just tenths. 10 seconds was an extreme example, but your flattering yourself with tenths, actually flattering isn't even the right word, I'd say delusional or just having no comprehension of the subject at hand.

You are dumbing it down / over-simplifying it so much I don't even know where to begin, you honestly leave me speechless.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Are you kidding me? You're "dumbing down" how simple it is to drive only a few tenths off someone like a top-end pro F1 driver. That is beyond ridiculous and is literally a delusion. Are we all just a few tenths off Greger Huttu's times? No.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFJIgHbGCQg

Let's see...A girl who trashes cars around - including on race tracks - for a living, and will almost surely beat "Paul Loatman", is 2.3 SECONDS OFF of a couple-years-of-F1-experience driver's laptime ON A SUPER SHORT LAP BARELY LASTING 1 MINUTE IN A ROADCAR . Factor in an average, modern-day F1 track that takes around 1:20 - 1:30 to do an F1-car lap in, which would then equate to probably around 2:15 to 2:30 in this Lotus roadcar, and the seconds would surely add to something like 5 - 7 SECONDS on a "regular" sized track.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Backing out of an argument? Making baseless claims? You're the one who said you were done arguing, you're the one saying baseless stuff like Vicki is only slower because she is less experienced, not because Karun is a fastsr driver by nature. I guess if we use your logic, everyone can be within a hair of as good as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzkey, and Ayrton Senna as long as they have enough experience and familiarity...Right...... Ok man, keep believing in your set ways. In the end, whatever i believe or you believe doesn't change reality, and is just a pointless argument.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There are thousands of thousands of basketball players, hockey players, etc. with just as much experience as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzkey, etc. Not to mention, you use a guy like M Schumacher - one of the sports all time greats - to try to support your argument. I guess only M. Schumacher had experience, while every other driver just woke up one day and decided to join F1. Seriously, just give it a rest man. You're unbelievable and just love arguing for the sake of it.

I guess a pre-F1, late teens/early 20s Ayrton Senna had more experience than all the F1 World Champions that he single handily beat in the Mercedes 190E race he took part in. Lol. Give it a rest man.