REPLACED rFactor 2 Build 300 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Agree higher AA settings seem to hurt FPS more than they did in 240. Running 770gtx, 2560x1440, AA level 2 everything on/max except environment/road reflec on low. Getting about 60-65 FPS on any track I have tried, when it was 80-100 on some of those before and still higher FPS on AA level 3 or 4 in build 240. FPS is more consistent over the entire track though, in many tracks I see variations of only +/-2 FPS.

CPU usage seems higher also, in 240 would see 45-60 FPS on grid with 30 cars, now drops to around 35.

ALSO, did an online race in the rain at Mores and with 9 cars on track a dry line started to appear while graphically it was still raining hard. This went on for about 5 laps and became so dry I even considered getting slicks while it was still raining.

2. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Thanks for the suggestion. NVCP rF2 profile says "use global (Application controlled)" and I have AA off in the sim.

I also tried 0x82482005 for the magic bits as Cangrejo suggested... still 12 FPS, 10% GPU utilization.

I've bitched about the rF2 SLI since forever but now somehow it is really broken for me. Thank goodness Build 300 gives such a great improvement in single card performance.

Maybe Tim working with Steven Bacchus will get some results. Just having Tim notice that all is not well with SLI and say that they will engage nVidia gives reason for hope. Before now the ISI position seemed to be that SLI utilization is balanced at 95%, therefore there is no problem. (gotten in a PM from Jeremy Miller)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Tim...

I think we were talking about the "purple" issue in the thread for b298 but it didn`t last long so I`m posting here as this graphical issue is still present for me in b300.

I`ve boosted the levels in the bottom screen just to show off the problem areas a bit better. The areas in the circles appear purple to me and have done for several builds now although sometimes they`re pretty hard to see, hence the screen edit. They only really show up on black or dark surfaces. I`ve also seen them on track surfaces too as I`ve said.

Original

[​IMG]

Edited

[​IMG]

I`ve seen this on most (if not all) cars, usually dashboards, doors, steering wheels and tyres but iirc it may be getting less or at least not as noticeable with each build... it usually affects the interiors only of the cars.

Be good to get your input on this.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

I suffer the same issues as tjc :)

5. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

On my 2 monitors both calibrated dell ultrasharps I cant see purple in those areas , it looks fine to me from those 2 pics , what is your monitor .

6. waynevegas

waynevegas Registered

Nevermind...forgot to re-enable SLI in the control panel after making the changes. The problem still persists for me with SLI 780s....9FPS at the start in Portugal....30 FPS at the start in Mills....and still getting above 60 FPS at the start of at non ISI tracks like Mid-ohio and Sebring. Luckily, Mid-Ohio is my favorite track...but still frustrating.

7. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Hi tjc. I looked at the pics you posted and for the life of me looking at them on the forum I couldn't see any purple what so ever, I have noticed a slight purple tinge around the dash in my game on rare occasions too though.
    On further investigation I downloaded the pics and loaded then into photoshop, zoomed in on them and did notice a very small tinge of purple in the leg wells below the dash. Then to my amazement I stood up to reach for a ringing phone and there it was "PURPLE" lol.
    When my eye level was ABOVE the monitor looking down it really stood out and I could see it everywhere you had pointed out on your pics. So maybe an eye level thing. Could be just a LCD monitor issue perhaps?? My monitor is nothing special, (ASUS ve248h).
    Dont know if that helps at all mate.

Cheers

8. Pits

Pits Registered

It's better, I don't care how it looks (but looks fine to me) no "shimmer" anymore just very smooth..this is good

Waited and did the 300 patch in-game update so no hassels

9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

LIGHT BULB ON! OK I just made a correlation! I have always only tested on ISI tracks! Malaysia, Spa and Portugal since Build 69. I recently added Silverstone. And as I have complained incessantly, SLI is terrible for me. And with Build 300 it is completely broken at my test tracks, giving FPS in the teens. Seeing waynevegas say non-ISI SLI is OK for him but ISI is not made me think to try Mid-Ohio. And what do you know?! At Mid-Ohio I get a SLI boost of 50-60% !!! And GPU use is balanced and in the mid 90s!

So there is something different about ISI tracks. This can explain why some folks say SLI works for them while others say it sucks. Because we're not testing the same tracks? It always puzzled me why there could be a difference in SLI behavior when really, many of us are running pretty similar PCs. (At least in each camp, NVidia and ATI.)

And oh BTW Tim, if single card vs SLI comparisons helps prove a problem then that's what I have done. Build 300, Portugal and Silverstone:

single card performance=excellent, 35-45 FPS back of grid rising quickly to 50-80s.
    SLI=12 FPS always, GPU usage around 10% for both GPUs

Oooh, another tidbit I just remembered... seemed peculiar... using Afterburner performance graphs, memory use at Mid-Ohio shows mem1 and mem2 as identical. At ISI tracks mem1 looks normal but mem2 is straight line pegged at top of scale (colored yellow). I know all that about mem not being doubled with two cards and all, but could Afterburner's strange "reading" of mem2 be a clue?

Edit: I need to refine/correct this. Portugal is 12 FPS until the end of pit straight then GPUs go instantaneously to 50% and FPS goes to 30s (half of single card FPS). Silverstone FPS does kind of the same (15 going to 20-30) but transition is gradual and GPUs are always high (50s) even though FPS is low.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My understanding is that reflections breaks SLI. Maybe Mid-Ohio doesn't make any use of reflections. I wouldn't really know as my GPU is too slow to enable reflections on any tracks. :)

An interesting test would be to run these tests on an ISI track:
    SLI enabled with reflections enabled
    SLI enabled with reflections disabled
    SLI disabled with reflections enabled
    SLI disabled with reflections disabled

My guess is if you sorted the tests in order of performance it would go like this:
    Test2
    Test4
    Test3
    Test1

11. otta56

otta56 Registered

Reflections with SLI Enabled

Without sli but road and environmental reflections enabled (low or high), Brianza averages around 20 fps. Without reflections it averages around 62 fps on my 3X sli Titan setup. HDR without reflections is even worse averaging 14 fps. Gpu usage without reflections averages 80-99% on all gpus; with reflections 38%-45%. Fps is not affected by the number of AI. These results are marginally worse than build 240 for me.

12. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Same here. It is most apparent at night or after dusk. It's as if there is not enough colors to give a proper gradient to a true black area.

13. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Maybe you don't have the purple color but I guarantee you have the weird gradient problem.

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Question to Tim/ISI:

Is the wet weather tyre working as it should on a dry track atm?

For me it seems it lasts too long. I was able to drive 30 minutes race with Clios on Mores with one set of wets. Race was about 50/50 dry/wet (of course also intermediate conditions). I won the race. Many was wondering how I made them last the whole race. Only avoided lock-ups but otherwise I pushed.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

One thing imho rF2 does better then any sim is windowed mode.

Set full screen windowed ( tick box in rF config ) been telling people for nigh on 2 years.

I know what you thinking, windowed mode ughh right but you be wrong.
    rF2 you can't tell it is windowed, ie: most other sims you see the border.
    It also has no affect on performance or fps or causes stutter or anything else like it does in some sims.

Now all you need to do is press the Win Key and you have task bar and start-menu and anything multitasking on top of rF2.

So say you are lapping, you can hit Win Key, open any program, do what you like ......while you are still lapping ! , why would you use Alt-Tab is beyond me.

It works faster and smoother and if you do alot of alt-tabs you can sometimes get lockups ctd all sorts of things ..........from time to time ........on occasion.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  16. tjc

tjc Registered

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster P2450... iirc it`s not been calibrated. Certainly not with pro software.

Can you see anything if you alter your eye line as BigDuke did?

17. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

i cant see purple spots at all

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Hi BigDuke... yeh, I`ve noticed this too mate. Same as you, I got up to do something and BAM! Lots of purple...

It definitely seems to have something to do with eye level but the purple is always and definitely there as if it wasn`t there to begin with, it wouldn`t matter where your eye level was, it wouldn`t be seen.

If the monitor is looked at from below center the purple almost vanishes and cannot be seen. If viewed from above center the purple most certainly appears and is very noticeable. That was why I thought about lightening the screen to show it off more...

As I`ve said, my monitor is nothing special really either so maybe it does have something to do with what monitor is used... might also have to do with calibration I suppose...

Appreciate your input here BD.

Be interesting to see what our Tim says about it. :)

19. Tony

Tony Registered

I've nearly got the same monitor as you - SyncMater B2430 - & I only see something approaching purple if I stand up & look down at the monitor from a very un-natural angle TJ..

From the normal angle it's perfect for me - & I'm reasonably ok with colours as that's my job ..hence all my wittering-on posts about contrast & the tonal-depth of shadows under the cars - which ISI have addressed recently :)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Indeed... it is most noticeable at night or on dark surfaces... could be the gradient thing too o0thx11380o...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.